New Fender Deluxe and Twin 100% Digital....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Jul 18, 2019.

1. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

They've got solid pine cabinets, too.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

On another side of the argument ( by this I mean calling these digital amps Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb...) -

calling these new amps " Tone Masters" is kind of an insult ( maybe not the right noun, sorry) to Fender's all tube Tone Master amps of the late '90's- which were IMO amazing sounding amps ( used for different applications by Aerosmith and Albert Lee)
    These amps were Fenders attempt to go after the Marshall market ( designed by Bruce Zinky- Fender/Zinky/Supro)

I remember going into the ' expensive room' at a GC - plugged a Guild ( LP style Bluesbird, I think) into a Tone Master head with a 2-12" Celestion cab, and my tone within seconds ( and at a reasonable and adjustable volume) I was getting a great Dickey Betts, singing tone- it was just there!

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

The Blues Cube Artist is around $900, right?

4. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

They’re too much money. For 100 more, I can get the ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vespa_One, 4pickupguy and drf64 like this.
  5. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

I think they sound great. Definitely wouldn't buy one though.

I wonder who the target audience are for this? Maybe young people in a decent-ish local band that need their first 'good' gigging amp and also need something they can play at home and in singer/song-writer sessions, but also can't justify having two amps?

Maybe older players that had a twin once a long time ago, and have just got back in to playing out and about?

I actually think they would work extremely well in a modern live semi-amateur setting. But then so would a lot of more versatile alternatives...

6. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I should hate this... But I LOVE it and this will be the first new amp i've ever bought in my lifetime. I've been mulling over having a kemper but this is exactly what i need/want with nothing I dont. I just want a twin but I'm not going to carry a valve one around. My vintage DR with a JBL is heavy enough (and in the shop again currently)..

I'd say it's a home run for Fender

scelestus and badger51 like this.
  7. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I really wish Fender success in selling these..they have tried this in so many ways..maybe this time it will go over.. myself, not so much.. I have never thought they were that heavy to begin with(the Deluxe Reverb)..the whole modeling thing just never appealed to me..not knocking it..some love it to death..enjoy boys

8. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

NO FX LOOP !

9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I had a cybertwin V2, it sucked, was lucky to get my money out of it.

11. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I want to see how many people will line up at the door to get yet another modeling amp.
    At least for me, the words "deluxe" and "modeling" don't go together.

12. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Interesting concept. Forget the price. Someone is always going to complain about that. I don't think the point of this is to be cheaper than a tube amp although it is $200 less. Here is an amp that takes away a common complaint about modelers and that's menu diving, tweaking and complexity. It's a cool idea to give someone an amp they are familiar with and remove some weight and maintenance along with flexible volume control. Is it for everyone? Obviously not but if it sounds good it's a great choice for many people.

From Fender: Deluxe Reverb tone, volume and dynamics virtually indistinguishable from the all-tube original.

Bold statement but I suppose time will tell.

alnico357, santiago53 and badger51 like this.
  13. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I have been thinking of getting a Princeton Reverb, but I’m not going to lie — the Deluxe Reverb Tone Master could be the one I end up getting.

I’m admittedly an amp novice who doesn’t play a ton of electric guitar. My only other amp is a Vox Pathfinder 15R — and the idea of something lightweight on the Fender side that gives me a similarly classic sound without having to mess with tubes is attractive. The attenuator feature alone is huge as someone who plays at home almost exclusively.

Part of me says I should wait until they inevitably come out with the Princeton Reverb version for several hundred dollars less...

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, they sound alright to me, but Roland seem to do OK with the Blues Cubes, Yamaha with the larger THR heads, and Orange knock it out of the park with the CR60 and CR120. If I -had- to have the look and ergonomics, I'd be possibly tempted.

I had the video playing in the background while getting on with other stuff. I don't know which was which, but whenever they did a 'That was '1', this is amp '2' ' then the gushing about it, I thought 'They sound different' and I had a preference each time.

As it turned out, at the end reveal, I preferred one real, honest to goodness, glowing glass amp, and one digital simulacrum. In a different world, where I was more than a backroom fumbler these days, my money would go on a CR60...

Neat idea, well executed, and the built in DI and cab emulation sounded really good. I'm more or less convinced, but I'm not the market.

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to play one.

At $899 I would suspect either some very good hardware is involved and a real serious effort has been made to make these sound like real deluxe reverbs, or the markup is incredibly high.

Or it could be Fender just trying to keep up with the katana and the kemper etc.. but getting it wrong.

One of the things that keeps me away from modeling amps in general is that they remind me of a lousy buffet, a million different things to try, and you can have all you want, but none of them are very good, so the vintage amp interface certainly appeals to me.

If the box acts just like the box I already have (which happens to be a deluxe reverb) but it is cheaper and more reliable and lighter etc. why wouldn't I want it, other than the fact that I am enamored with tube amps and have been for years, and that I am kind of a Luddite in general.

I know that I tried a limited edition PRRI with a neo speaker in a solid pine cabinet, and it sounded great. Speakers and cabinets do matter! Classic Fender tube amps always seem to sound great, so maybe these will as well.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

For $100 less you could get a 68 Twin Reverb original SF.

Bowpickins and Southpaw Tele like this.
  17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That's really too bad. Their digi amps are known for being problematic. They cheap as dirt used. Their ought to be a law against calling them Deluxe or Twin... sacriledge! Just go buy a GDec , oh and get to know a Tech real well....

Obsessed and Alter like this.
  18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

No, it's not what I want but it still makes more sense than this product -- a 100% digital Twin Reverb emulation (and nothing else) in a full size Twin Reverb combo. It's like it incorporates the worst of analog and digital amps in one package.

My $.02 (and really this could be a topic for another thread) is that hardware digital amps are going to follow the same path that hardware VA (i.e. virtual analog) synths did and will eventually be replaced by better and less expensive software modeling solutions. Analog amps will continue to have a market - just as hardware analog synths have continued to -- but I don't see a long future for large and expensive hardware digital amps.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Because you play through cabinet emulation and IR's without the internal speaker.

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think they're over priced but it's a novel approach. Use all the DSP power to emulate a single amp. Extremely light yet powerful enough to gig.
    A Super Reverb model might interest me because I think it's a great amp and the ability to operate it at lower output settings is awesome.
    Many might like to have a Twin but it's just too damn loud yet, with the ability to operate it lower output while retaining that tone is pretty cool.
    Same with a Deluxe.. get that cranked DR sound but at a fraction of the volume.

PS: I wouldn't in the market. I'm happy with my current set up but if I was just getting started it might tempt me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.