New Fender Deluxe and Twin 100% Digital....

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by KnopflerStyle, Jul 18, 2019.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’ll see your Peavey and raise with a JC120.

Anacharsis likes this.
  2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

As light as the Katana is, it has to be a class D power amp. I just got a Katana 50, and it's at least as loud as my '71 VR, and is probably even louder. There's no reason for me to dime it, so I can't say for certain.

There's actually a potential advantage to a class D power amp, in that you can usually get away with running the bass higher than you would be able to do with a tube amp, unless it's something like a Twin Reverb. If someone really wants loud and deep cleans where the low end doesn't go to mush, they'd potentially really like the Tone Master Twin Reverb.

...The more I think about it, this new Twin Reverb might really be appealing to pedal steel players.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Quilter's bass head, the Bass Block 800 is 800W @ 4 ohms and weighs only 1.6 kg. There's no reason for a class D amp being underpowered other than the manufacturer cheaping out on consumers.

4. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Well in that case, Fender launched something that really interest people.

+1 Fender

exactopposite and Alamo like this.
  5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the easiest way to describe the difference between entry level/mid level modelers and high-end units would be to think of 720P televisions versus 4K ultra high definition. The higher processing power allows for more accurate modeling of the little details that make the difference between "good enough for the price" and "I can't tell the difference." And yes, I know that there are people out there who can tell the difference without even hearing the units in question simply because "no toobs" (and y'all KNOW who you are), but those aren't the people these units are aimed at in the first place.

Southpaw Tele, Alamo and MilwMark like this.
  6. Timo82

Timo82 TDPRI Member

So true I am one of those people and I am very exited about this product.
    Price is a bit steep though. And then quality control....
    I think I'll wait till Christmas before buying. The videos sound very promising though
    I have a Boss GT 1000 and these days modelling sounds and feels so good so I really dont need an amp. But I do miss a good loud cabinet and paying big bucks for an FRFR guitar cabinet meh..
    Comparing a Mustang amp to this isnt fair..that tech is 10 years old and I must say the gt1000 is miles better then the gt100 as well. And I always use a DR model exclusivly on most moddelers.
    So when trying the amp sounds nice and open and not compressed and plenty loud..I am in!

Alamo, Frodebro and Lef T like this.
  7. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

Another vid... sounds good. Probably i miss a little bit the mids, and sounds a little bit ss.

Daniel can sound every amp. good and nice.

8. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

Even the fender guys said its better modeling then the mustang or gt amps so i will wait to see what the next gt-cybertwin- model is from fender and pass on these TM overpriced amps.

9. limerot

limerot TDPRI Member

Great idea Fender! This amp is what I have been thinking of for years. Convolution reverb (a sampled space) and IR speaker simulation - with clean non-IR DI out, too. To many manufacturers make amps without the option of bypasing the inbuilt speaker simulation. Would be interesting to know where Fender (and who) sampled the reverb and the IR's, and if the IR's are based on the internal speaker - and if the USB port can be used to alter/change the IR's in the future. Anybody knows?

Also, it is highly interesting to see that Fender uses ICE Power (Bang & Olufsen) power stages. Imagine Danish technology in a Fender amp, that is cooler than a class-D power stage! ICE Power have a 0.2% field return rate over the last 10 years, according to their web page. I do not know if those numbers apply to professional stage equipment, but probably not the worst power stage Fender could ask for. Anybody that have more information on this?

As for the core of the preamp/effects-stage, it would be very interesting to know what kind of processor Fender use, and if Fender will further develop the sound of the amp in future firmware updates. This could potentially be done (to have different versions of the real thing), if the processor is based on Linux operating software. Anybody knows?

Sad not to see an effects loop in the amp, I think that this was a mistake by Fender. An effects loop must have been in the pre-design of the amp, and it would be interesting to know why Fender opted this out. Fancy pantsy reverb and speaker simulation, but not an effects loop? Digital used wisely is a strength and a resource, there are many types of (vintage sounding) effects that thrives after the preamp in an amp.

Thumbs up for solid wood cabinet, weight and the vintage design. Let's hope it doesn't sound like a turkey on discount for christmas.

If only the 1000 or so guitar-channels on youtube could ask the manufacturers in interviews the right questions - aka past the same lame basic questions (and learn to play guitar in the process), the future could get a little brighter.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  10. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

fender guys pretty much said the gt model amps are crap compared to the TM amps. but the price?! Too close to the real deal. At $500-600 these would sell like mad.

11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Upon listening to the shootout Anderton's did, I would just as soon have a SFDR or, DRRi... Bur if I wer to get a big amp (I play through a THR10), I'd get a THR100...

12. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

Now that fender has stated that the tonemaster amps modeling is way way ahead of the gt amps they really should release a way way better gt amp soon.

13. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

THAT vid was aweful show of the amp- the playing was fine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  14. MilwMark

Cool. Please post clips of your mad chops and tone.

15. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

i edited my post- i meant to say the amp didnt sound good in the vid- nothing to do with his playing. sorry i should have been more accurate. yea i suck at playing so no need to post my crap chops.

16. MilwMark

What doesn't sound good about it? It sounds like a clean Fender to me.

Alamo likes this.
  17. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

It doesn’t sound like a traditional tube Deluxe Reverb to me in that video. Of course, it’s a video, you can’t really go by that.

But in the videos I’ve seen, the Twin sounds better than the Deluxe to my ears (the Tonemasters, that is).

18. jageya

jageya Tele-Meister

Ok you are right it does sound spanky clean but thinner then the tube version to my ears. But for many older guys this will be the perfect amp. The guys like gary clarke jr will likely not be into it.( i know from my friendship with him he isnt a modeler guy)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  19. 63topboost

63topboost TDPRI Member

I'm so close to ordering one of these. A deluxe reverb or twin that I can play at current stage volumes(meaning low)? Yes! The deluxe weighs less than my blues jr. and the twin weighs 2 lbs. than my SF princeton reverb? Yes! Sounds good in my condo? I sure hope so.
    No worries about wall voltages cooking the old amps, crappy tubes and sockets. Tube amps sound good at "loud" on the dial, nothing else. The current volumes I have to play at on stages these days kills the advantage of tubes.
    I love that Fender has styled these on the originals. It's what I've been asking for in an all digital amp. No crazy spaceship looks, 1000 amp models and screens, classic, vintage vibe in the modern world.

Alamo, Frodebro, stax and 1 other person like this.
  20. Hoosiergrass75

Hoosiergrass75 TDPRI Member

Just ordered a deluxe..supposedly shipping around mid september..guitar center guy saved me almost 10% off. Still alot of money but i think i will like the new amp!

Lef T and Frodebro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.