New Fender Bassbreaker series?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by deadbeat son, Oct 23, 2015.

1. bker

bker NEW MEMBER!

Wow, I had the total oppose experience as Blind Walker above…although, I bought the 007 combo (10 inch speaker). I wanted a smaller tube to practice at home and was down in in to a Portland, Oregon for work and went in to a store to check out the smallest vox tube….then I tried this amp…this amp is the best amp I have ever heard....bought it right away. You don’t need pedals, it just sounds awesome, I mean awesome. I can’t believe it. Even at really, really low volumes. I am not sure what they did, modeling in there or what? Not sure of the higher watt amps, but this thing sounds so sweat. It has an amp slave output and I plugged it into my effects return of my Peavey Delta blues…and omg. Done, it was unbelievable with both of them. Again, I can only speak for the 007 combo, and I only have to fender guitars (two, not twenty), but this is the best amp I have heard without pedals, and you don't need them….all I can say, simple, and just sounds great. It does not have reverb, btw...I think the higher watts do.

savofenno likes this.
  2. mcpharm

mcpharm TDPRI Member

I bought the 15 and for the most part, like it, except that I really miss the gain structure switch being footswitched-based so that one could go from cleans to OD easily. Fender always under-engineers their products to get you to move up.

The sound is a bit gritty, but a replaced V1 with a JJ gold pin 5751 as an experiment and that has really smoothed out the grittiness in the highest gain structure. As a bonus, it gives more headroom in the clean side to be able to use it with pedals.

The jury's still out although I took it to a jam and it did sound good. I still have a month left under GC's return policy. The Blackstar Artist 15 sounds interesting with 2 channels, a mild gain channel (that could be augmented with pedals) but it's not as 'grab and go' as the BB.

3. mcpharm

mcpharm TDPRI Member

There are already a lot of used 7 waters on GC's site, just as you predicted.

4. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

The 007 is a great amp...you can saturate very easily.. Just couldn't get the same quality bluesy breakup tone from the 15 watter (sounds too modern?). Something about the 7 watter is just special... I thought the 15 would just be a more versatile version of the 7 watter but it is almost a different animal. I thought I could replicate the 007 OD tone with the structure knob on the 15 at mid gain , and you can come close, but 007 has the better tone. Tried the 18/30 and the 45w and they just sort of sound like my Bassman (but not as magical) but the 007 has a great OD tone at even low volumes, definitely not a chimey clean machine. Sounds very very similar to my Marshall Class 5 which is sort of like a Bluesbreaker Junior. The Class 5 is great but more midrangy than the Bassbreaker which may be attributable to the speaker difference ... not a bad thing depending upon the type of music you are doing.

5. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

I'm interested in the 18/30 combo. I'm looking for chimey clean at lower volumes, I get my lead tones from pedals. Anyone achieve this with the 15 or 18/30? I use hot broadcaster pickups.

6. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

I'd say only at low volumes with the 15. I have heard that the 18/30 in 30 watt mode has loads of headroom, that might be your best bet.

7. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I tried out the 15 watts version. Loud enough for a club, very versatile and the closed back gives it more bass. I dialed nice clean sounds and distorted ones also. Nice amp for the price.

8. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

IMO the v type speakers do this amp NO justice, alnico blue or a greenback is the way. I have the 007 head and bb cab and put 12" alnico in my main one. Kicked my ac10 and AC15 into being sold.
    This amp sounds great at any volume. Although I would not rank it as a "powerful" 7watt amp. This thing has some bass if you want that. Loved it so much I purchased a Second one to leave at venue i gig. Got fortunate on both, Bought a new one when it was £210, and won a 3 week old head off ebay for £120

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  9. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Its that V type speaker. Makes it sound Muddy, and too "well rounded" thankfully I heard its potential and am more than happy.

10. davey77

davey77 Tele-Meister

I thought the same when I bought my 45....so I switched them out for an Eminence Governor and Wizard and now it's such a tone monster

11. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Nice. I found the clarity just shone through after a swap. no EQ changing on the Vtype could get me what I wanted. I've also changed all the Tubes for chinese, Tungsold, Stock Groove Tube and found the amp sounds awesome with any combination, but surprisingly found the stock tubes to be best. All this 007 amp needs is a speaker swap.

12. davey77

davey77 Tele-Meister

It's funny cus I did the same thing with the tubes then I swapped out the speakers and put the stock tubes back in a d it sounded fine..... there's a video ob Premier Guitar of this amp and his settings were the best!!! He had the treble and presence at 12o clock, the bass down to 10 o clock and dime the mids....its works for me like a true bluesbreaker or maybe it's the speakers lol

Scaper2014 likes this.
  13. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Engaged on my never-ending quest for the perfect strat (for which I am only willing to pay $350) I played the 007 today. Nice tone, especially with the gain up a little, and I could see owning one. Clean or gainy it didn't sound very Fenderish so I think it's best used by someone who specifically doesn't like a Champ. I've played the 15 also, but when I plugged the (very nice) strat into a deluxe reverb, that's when I really started smiling. It sounded full and classic and sweet, while the BB series is much more modern take.

14. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

I bought the 45 head a while back. What intrigued me as the 1-45 watt power scaling. That and by having the Normal, Bright, or Both channels to plug into. Considering that, I could plug into any of those or use my ABY to easily switch back and forth to whatever circuit I wanted.

When I got it I messed around with it a lot and just couldn't get a decent sound out of it with any of my guitars. Really uninspiring to say the least. Anyway I was thinking of shipping it back to SW, but life got in the way and I didn't get back to it and decided to keep it and see if I could get it better to my ears with pedals. I found the Normal channel to get muddy quick. And the Bright channel to be a bit sharp and nasty. This btw was playing into my Avatar 2x12 loaded with Eminence Govenor and Wizard speakers.

At the time I bought it I knew it would come with Fender Groove Tubes in it. Before Fender buying GT's many years ago, I was never a big fan of them. 1 day I just tore into it and popped the rear grill off to see exactly what was in this for tubes. I had to keep digging and open the box containing the electronics to see what tube was V1, V2, and V3. As there where no markings on the outfacing cover.

V1 had a GT 12ax7r as I recall. After googling what the R was, I found it was used in the V1 to purposely break up early to give an amp a British chunkier tone. V2 and V3 were just run of the mill GT 12ax7's.

I dug thru my box of spare JJ pre amp tubes. I replaced the V1 with a JJ 12at7. V2 and V3 got replaced with standard JJ 12ax7's. No special tubes, just the basic ones. For now I left the GT power tubes in as they came. Firing it up, I was into tone heaven with this amp know. I have done a ton of tube swaping over the years. Really common to do with these import amps and the typical MIC crap tubes that come in most. Always an improvement, but in no way as big of an improvement that I got in this 45watter. So much more usable and friendly. The Bright channel sounds like an old Fender Twin. Normal has girth and a nice crunch. Both together blends so much nicer and doesn't get muddy like it did.

Now I've very impressed with it.

savofenno and JustABluesGuy like this.
  15. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I've had my 45 combo for about two weeks now. I've been through several amps this year trying to find that sound in my head...something to go along well with my AC15. I do believe I've found it!

16. RJ Shepps

RJ Shepps NEW MEMBER!

Scaper2014: Interested in how close you can get the 007 to the Vox crunch with chime (AC10/15)? I'm thinking of getting one to run alongside my blues deluxe. The build quality of the AC10 is erking me out. I trust fender quality. I would appreciate your insight.

17. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

They are still 2 distinct amps in their own right, however having been a vox user for around 4 years before i go my bassbreaker. i can just say the bassbreaker is everything i wanted the vox to be. Its all in how you dial it in and the speaker. as mentioned i use a celestion alnico blue. I do bass my opinion on the 007 head & cab as this is what i have got :)

RJ Shepps likes this.
  18. RJ Shepps

RJ Shepps NEW MEMBER!

Thx for your reply. I have a Marshal Class 5 cabinet with 10" Eminence Lil' Buddy (Cannabis Rex) that I was going to run the 007 into. Very impressed with the sound of the amp. You never know how it will jive into you get it home with your own guitars and setup.

19. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I just recently purchased a used Bassbreaker 15 and while I love the sounds I get from it, it has much more gain than I will ever need for the styles I play in.

Thanks for the tip on changing out the V1 preamp tube!

I bought mine used and haven't looked at the tubes yet, but as new as it still is I would assume they are stock unless the previous owner was a tube sniffer as well. ; )

20. Doug C

Doug C Tele-Meister

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a 007 head and run it thru either the Bassbreaker 112 cabinet or a fender vintage tweed style cabinet w/1 or 2 twelves. I can get the head and BB 112 cabinet really cheap together.. or the 007 head cheap on it's own.

I'm considering this option because I've always wanted a actual fender tube amp and I like that the 007 is capable of utilizing a footswitch (oh and I like the looks too, believe it or not). I'd use this combo for Hendrix type playing mostly - which from reading reviews saying it leans more towards the Marshall, I assume it would do quite well?

My First question though is this: is there a particular speaker I might look to use to add more of a vintage fender tweed sound? Maybe Marshall used a speaker similar to what's in the current Bassbreaker, while speaker "X" would lean more towards a Fender clean sound? Perhaps a single '59 Bassman speaker (or upgrade speaker) would be a good choice? Thoughts?

Secondly: someone mentioned earlier in this thread, switching out a tube in V1 of the 15watt model for an improvement.. any reason that would not work for the 007?

I like the look of this line of amps, and can't really get a head unit in the vintage tweed reissues whichs also makes the Bassbreakers appealing to me. I pretty much end up modding everything I get anyway (I enjoy that aspect of the hobby too) and basically I like the idea of having an amp that'd do vintage tweed fender and Marshall - if possible. Thoughts?

Doug C

JustABluesGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.