New Fender Bassbreaker series?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by deadbeat son, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Review is available. A bit down the line. Not much response yet. Doesn't sound like the 45 is the same amp. I heard good things about the 30\18. I think speakers are so important. If they're crap it'll sound like crap

2. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Tele-Meister

I played the 45 and 30/18 yesterday, and like others have mentioned, these SOB's are loud! The 45, even down to 1 watt, was as loud as my CVR on 2-3. The 30/18 is the same way. I was about to order the 45 blind and take my chances. I'm glad now that I got to test them, because they're off the table for me.

3. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

I love the 30/18 that I played.

savofenno likes this.
  4. Seurdge

Seurdge Tele-Meister

I just bought the 7 watt combo this weekend and love it ! Easy to have tone that I personally dig at low volume. Will be a great recording tool and a real basement jam beast. It has great classic rock/blues tone... Maybe the head version would be even better...

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I just came across this new amp while browsing the 'heads' section of Andertons. I already have a Vox NT15G2 and a 1 watt Marshall JMP-1H so a Fender head would be a nice addition to my collection of heads. I had been considering a Peavey Classic Mini 20 head, but I'll hang fire until I get to try these out.

They are showing delivery as mid March, so I guess we're a bit behind you guys. No doubt Chappers and The Captain will do a video at some point, if I spot one I'll post back with a link.

I'm interested in the 15 watt head as my Vox seems around the right sort of mix between clean headroom and still being able to play it at home. I quite like the different look of the grey tweed.

For the benefit of UK readers mostly:

The 15 watt head:
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-heads/pid43196/cid689/fender-bassbreaker-15-guitar-amp-head.asp

The 7 watt head:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-heads/pid43193/cid689/fender-bassbreaker-007-guitar-amp-head.asp

The 45 watt head:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-amp-heads/pid43199/cid689/fender-bassbreaker-45-guitar-amp-head.asp

There is also a matching single 12" speaker cab (I need a proper cab for my heads as I'm currently just using the speaker in an old broken combo amp):

http://www.andertons.co.uk/speaker-cabinets/pid43206/cid690/fender-bassbreaker-bb112-1x12-speaker-cab.asp

Not sure if this will work, a search for 'Bassbreaker' to give all the heads/combos on a single page:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?keyword=bassbreaker&type=search&attributeXML0=||||#1452101949798page-1

6. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

These don't sound much like your classic BF Fender, if that's the tone you're looking for. More of a tweed/marshall thing-at least on the 7 and 15 watters, which is all I've tried.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

That's a good thing for me (runs for cover :D) I tried a Black face Deluxe Reverb reissue and didn't get on with it, though I did play through an original Twin Reverb many years ago and liked that.

The Vox does my clean tones very well though with my Strat and Tele, maybe I don't really need another head, but you know what it's like...:D

8. Randypttt

I've had my 007 head almost a month now. I'm amazed at the many tones you can get out of it. It does favor the Bassman/Marshall combo for which it's "named" for but with some tweaking you can get close to a BF clean. Just need to spend some time with it. I've even gotten a Vox sound out of it. Seriously.
    It helps to have a cab with a good 12". I've never liked single 10" combos. They really don't do justice to the range of tones you can get.

I use mine for recording and composing and it works great for me. Sits on my desk next to the board so I can tweak things as I practice parts. I lay it on it's front so the controls are accessible. Great amp for not a lot of money.

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm disappointed they only made one single ended version. The 007. The 15 is 2xEL84 (push pull most likely) I was hoping for a singled ended EL34... :(

10. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I've had the 007 head for about a month. Took me a while to bond with it but once I stopped setting the tone controls where I thought they should be and just listened I 'm able to dial in some nice tones. Tried 2 different 12" cabs and so far like the Weber Sig12B over a Legacy M75. Gonna try my CDR's V-type next.

11. Randypttt

I love the Celestion G80 12 that I've been using but I'm ready to try a new speaker. I was thinking of a Jensen of some vintage type. I have a cab I salvaged from removing the brains from a Champion 40 and sticking it in the cab of my deceased SCX2 head. I'm left with a Special Design spkr that I have no use for but a Jensen would fit in there nicely.

I really like my 007. Maybe I've lost touch with tone using these modeling amps but whatever, I like this amp.

12. mtm105

mtm105 Tele-Meister

Ball breaker

Will this matchup to Cabs with British voicing??

It's about time Fender made a small low Watt Amp head. It's always been Combos. I wish it didn't have gizmo circuitry, like speaker sims.

I have exclusivley low Watt boutique heads. For the retail price of this Fender Amp head I can likely find a $1,200 boutique used. Not recently, but a year or two ago the market was GREAT.

I had VOX Night Train II. I could not bond with it. I tried. I'm afraid that this product line could be same thing. I like point-to-point Class A circuitry, for most part. I fear that G-d's original tone gets lost in the mumbo-jumbo circuitry. For a $100 more than the VOX price, I found a used NACE 18R-1 head. Amazing... And I got lucky and low balled a mini Z head for $450.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think I'm with you on that. Maybe it's just me but EL84s are very fragile (and rattly/noisy). EL34s arent, to me. I'd much rather have a single EL34 option over 2 EL84s, even before considering (as I don't know) what difference "single ended" vs. "push pull" would make.

14. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am really thinking about picking up one of the 7 watt heads. I have a 12" cabinet i picked up on CL for 50$. It has a little giant sleaker in it.
    If i aanted to get a 12" speaker to match the bassbreamer 7 watt head, where would i start? I know nothing about speakers.

15. kilznah

kilznah TDPRI Member

Actually found the 15w ( head ) at my local Sam Ash and been messing with it for the past few days plugged into an Avatar 1-12 cab w/ a WGS 30. Not quite the pristine Fender cleans you may be used to, but a very useful clean sound with a little hair on it. Takes an OCD very well, plenty of punch and great lead tones. Best master volume setup to date on a Fender amp I have played. Reverb sounds good. Will see how it sits in the mix at upcoming gigs. Will report back !

16. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

I'm interested in the Bassbreaker 15 seems like it has a decent spec for the price but I can't find a decent review anywhere.

17. Pags

Pags TDPRI Member

I have the 007, it's sweet little rock amp. A tube change is very helpful, seemed to open up the amp a little more. Also, if you want a little more headroom put two 5751s in as the preamps, she won't start breaking up until far later on the volume. It was fun to run it that way but this guy wants to crunch so I put the 12ax7s back in.

18. Blind Walker G

Blind Walker G TDPRI Member

The 007 head arrived today with the matching 112 Bassbreaker cabinet, cause I don't like 10" speakers. Spent some hours now to get a good tone out of it and finally gave up. So will return it tomorrow. Gave this amp a chance with 20+ guitars, but none of them sounded great.
    Some things I noticed while trying:
    The input seems to be optimized for hotter pu's. I have only one guitar with hotter pu's, a 1959 Harmony Jupiter, those great old DeArmonds put out around 11K and sounded best. All my other guitars have vintage pu's, mostly single coils. The amp wasn't made for low output pu's, but I can imagine it will sound ok with some hotter humbuckers. Second thing, the treble boost brings a lot of background noise, would be useless for recordings.
    Also I A/B d with a Fender Excelsior Ltd., running with a Fuchs Plush Cream in front. This combination blew the Bassbreaker complete out of the water, from clean to crunch. So the 007 Bassbreaker might be a good rock amp, when used with a hot humbucker guitar, it's definitely not a vintage style blues amp, also forget about the clean tone.
    If you want a highclass Bluesbreaker tone, try a Blackstar Artisan 15, you can't come closer. They are pretty cheap used and worth every penny, when you're looking for an early Marshall tone.
    The Bassbreaker is just the newest hot thing, in this case everybody likes it. I think one year from now there will be a lot of them on the used market, will be much harder to find an Excelsior.

19. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

3 settings: 1- Fender immaculate clean
    2- Break-up bluesy classic rock sound
    3- metal sound

20. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

I played a Bassbreaker 45 combo in the guitar shop today. Picked out a Fender Classic 50's tele and played that beast for almost an hour....!
    This thing has some serious balls! I didn't dare go past the 22,5 watts (power attenuator halfway) 'cause the windows of the booth were shaking like crazy when I strummed an E chord. Holy mother.... It stayed perfectly clean all the way through, which was great! After about 15 minutes of trying it out I plugged into the "both" input, put everything at 12 o'clock and at just 1 watt output, both volumes at 9 o'clock; I found a nice sweetspot. Where I basically stayed for the next half hour or so.
    I swapped the tele for a Roadhouse Strat and played that for 15 minutes. The amp sounded equally amazing.
    I think I'm buying one whenever I get the money together...

One thing I'd like to say is that both the strat and the tele came with loose screws on the pickguard and backplate. The rotary knob on the strat was so difficult to turn I just stopped trying; afraid I'd break it... The A string tuner on the tele kept detuning, that was pretty annoying as well. When I walked back to hang the strat back on the wall, I curiously picked up a Squier CV strat to see if that guitar suffered the same issues... No such thing; that guitar just looked perfect. Too bad, Fender... too bad...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.