1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Fender Amp: The Edge 5E3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Middleman, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Just heard this amp on YouTube which was announced at NAMM 2016. I like the Bassbreakers but this one is really impressive. Love the tone but $2400?
    Has to be the most expensive 5E3 in the market at par with vintage copies.

Thoughts?

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My thoughts? That's real dollars. You could go vintage for sure. Or make a few really killer clones.

If you've done some amps and have good attention to detail it's hard to make a Deluxe circuit sound bad.

The 2x10" one that I make usually goes for around $1200ish street price at most places that sell it?

I'm sure it's killer, but not $2400 killer.

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Hand wired, paying people hourly wages to build a 5E3, prices it very high. The first amp I ever built was a Tweed 5E3 clone. I highly recommend you try building one. I went with a Trinity kit.

Listening to the host in the video..."Fender has been making Tweed Deluxe amps for over 60 years". I'd like a '71 please, my birth year. ;)

4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Yes, I agree regarding that amount of money gives you a lot of alternative approaches.

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I thought edge was an all Vox guy

6. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

I would guess $2400 is MSRP? Street price to the last '57 Deluxe RI was $1800. When you have the brand equity, you can charge more and people will buy it. They had a limited, piano-lacquer version with Celestion Blue (simply called the "57") to was supposed to go for more but ended up being blown out for $1400.

Of course, unlike boutiques and kits, Fender has to be CE compliant...that means a slight redesign with other mandatory parts (secondary fusing, etc.).

I would guess the preamp tweaks are nothing more than smaller coupling and/or bypass caps.

The Edge's (I can't believe people call him that with a straight face) live rig has been two AC30's and toe 5E3's for a long time.

7. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

This whole artist endorsed amp crap (Clapton, Benson, Edge...) is for the birds IMO.
    If the make a Harvard called "the Cropper" I'm gonna puke.

Fender just needs to go back as close as they possibly can to the early production days minus the superficial badges. They were the best guitar amp builders in history and they seem to have lost sight of that. Is this Fender or Under Armor?

I dig U2 and appreciate the Edge, but you narrow your market drastically building a tweed Deluxe with his name on it. Who the heck is going to buy this amp at 2k+?

8. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

I saw this amp at NAMM too. I agree with sentiment about pay big bucks for hand wired and artist badge.

I don't know why Fender doesn't figure out how to mass produce the 5e3 and use high quality pcbs. (And drop the price). There's modern ways of cutting cost without sacrificing quality or tone too much

In general I thought this was a boring year for Fender and the Gibson booths. Gretsch booth was cool.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Slightly off topic, but where can I find that 2x10 5e3?

10. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

I have one of the reissues from a couple years ago, pricing was the same, and street price ended up being $1799. Still on the high end, but well worth it IMO.

11. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Wow two and half grand for a 5E3 Deluxe......in the UK Flynn amps £1050...Rift amps £999.

Crikey! I could get a Cornell Romany and a Cornell Romany Plus for less and have change for a Tokai Breezysound.....

It can't even be down to a mark up for the "brand name" when a reissue Marshall 1974x and a reissue Watkins Dominator are around £1500 each.

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

RIP OFF!

that's my thought.

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

ohh Fender... They still think I'm going to buy a cheap PCB amp for $1500 and an amp that takes 6.5hours to handwire for $2300. Cute.

14. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I prefer the real deal, but sounds like Fender fixed the problems people complained about with thoses vintage 5e3 amps: volumes going from clean to dirty to fast and the flobby bottom end when you push the amp. Anyways, it's too expensive for what it really is and I never liked The Edge (not even his name...).

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like to see a pic of the inside.

16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

"Who the heck is going to buy this amp at 2k+?"

There are people out there with ridiculous amounts of expendable income.
    Really,it's unbelievable.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I did notice a couple tweeds behind him while watching the Live In Paris thing last month.

So that's the deal.

I like the Edge (been with those boys since seeing them in tiny places in the early 80's) and I like 5E3's but I like $1800 too.

That's the difference between the average 5E3 clone that pops up on our CL and this new Edge one.

Dave will understand...

18. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

You can get a beautifully built, handwired 5E3 Tweed Deluxe clones from numerous small builders for significantly less $$$$. In fact, 5E3 clones tend to be some of the more reasonably priced small builder amps....simple design, etc. I'd also bet that many of the smaller builders use better quality components in their 5E3 clones than Fender.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like it!

20. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Might this have something to do with the fact that Messrs Edge and Vox are on the FMIC Board of Directors?

I want to weep.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.