New family member

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

So here is the newest member of the family. DRRI, a few years old and well broken in. I traded a Vox AC15 plus $250 for it. Not a steal, but seemingly a fair deal. It took me about 30 seconds with it to say "wow." So far really, really liking it. I have my fingers crossed, because I really liked the Vox a lot. I hope I don't regret this. Was just looking for something a bit meatier.

IMG_6830.JPG
    I do have question. I will be looking to get this to sound its best at lower volume. Really, Princeton Reverb volume is plenty for the size places I usually play. So what I need is less clean headroom, and sooner breakup. this seems to be the opposite of what most people are looking for. I have done a good amount of research on swapping tubes and speakers to achieve this. The FenderGuru site had some good info. So I am looking for you guys to confirm and clarify.

Current speaker is stock jensen C12K. This seems to be a very efficient speaker. Will swapping in a less efficient speaker help get what I want? (I am looking for a basic versatile classic rock sound, Stones, etc.) My web research turns up a zillion speaker recommendations, with no real consensus.

For tubes, this is the advice I have found:
    Remove V1 tube for channel 1.
    Replace the V2 12AX7 preamp tube with 12AT7 or 12AY7. (This one I don't entirely understand - can someone explain it to me?)
    Replace the 12AT7 PI tube with a 12AX7 or 12AU7. (Again, I am a little cloudy on what this does exactly.)

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

DonM, OldDude2, Otis Fine and 7 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Great choice- I wish I'd gone the extra hundred when I my Princeton as much as I love it.

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice Amp!!

Maybe you should just get an attenuator and or try out a compressor and or an overdrive, clean boost etc first? Pulling tubes, putting weird tubes in it or looking for "less efficient" speakers seems like a lot of potential frustration for the sake of a "purer" approach.

I put a Celestion Type-A in my Silverface Deluxe Reverb, It had a speaker from a Fender Champion in it when I got it, and it is louder and cleaner now I think, but it does sound great. Before the speaker change not so much sounding great it was. At a small venue (unless it's with a really loud band) I need something in front of it, it's too loud to really turn up without a doubt.

I had a DRRI years ago, and I would turn that thing up pretty loud (7) or so, but it was with a loud band, playing dirty loud rock music. I found myself wishing for more headroom and traded it for something else, and then of course...the band broke up.

I don't recall that it is as loud as my current Silverface, though I used to use a Marshall Power break with it at home (not at gigs though).

It was one of the older one's with an Eminence speaker (people used to complain about them on the internet), I don't know how they compare with the current Jensen offerings as far as efficiency goes. It was a good sounding amp as was though.

Good luck.

Let us know what you try and what you think.

5. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Expected to see Cat, well i was wrong

OldDude2 and gridlock like this.
  6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Nice amp, and looks like its in great shape! Congratulations! It is a really different amp than an AC15, but they usually sound really good. I ended up with the Princeton Reverb for the same reason that you mention but I managed to keep my AC15. Anyway I hope you enjoy your DRRI!

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I would try an Amp 11 / Distortron / Timmy / KTR in front of the thing before I started monkeying around with the expensive stuff. These will all maintain the basic sound of your amp while adding the grit & sag of a pushed amp. All but the KTR have a bass control to keep the flub in line. It's a different world than the AC15, where you can get a good pushed sound at lower volumes with the master & cut. My experience with Fender is that even a Deluxe is too big for the room most places and a little help to get over the top is a good thing.

fenderchamp likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Probably my favorite amp. Great amp.

9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

great amp! congrats!i agree with the poster who suggested a comp or od first.

10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congrats, that is a good looking amp. I wish the grill-cloth on my Deluxe Reverb did not fade so brown. The silver cloth looks so sharp.

Another good suggestion for a speaker swap in a DR, is an Alessandro GASC64. It has a sensitivity of 100.5 DB but it is a prefect match for a DR.

Anyway, congratulations again owning a great amp, and welcome to the DR Club.

B66C33DA-1D90-4838-A720-BAEDAAE75F76.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  11. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Thats actually a good deal in my opinion. AC15's are nice amps, but the DRRI is better - just my opinion of course.
    To get some bedroom level dirt out of it I'd suggest finding an OD pedal, forget all the hardware swaps etc.

When I've played these amps I have noticed that they get to about half on the master volume, then they stop getting louder and just get dirtier.

12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

OK, I'll be the parade-raining a-hole and say that buying an amp that you have to radically reconfigure (tube pulling, attenuating, etc.) for your actual use is simply not ideal. I'll take a Princeton over a Deluxe any day not because the Princeton is objectively "better," but because a Princeton does better in my actual use than a Deluxe would. I love 10" speakers, and amps designed around them, because the good ones are direct hits for the actual playing situation I encounter. If I were just playing in a rehearsal studio or bigger venue, that would not be true. But for where I play, I'll take the smaller amp any day, thank you. Consider a Weber Beam Blocker for your speaker. A 12 moves way more air than a 10 which is a problem in small spaces at low volume. I use one on my 10" and it seems to help deliver more reasonable sound to a larger area without blasting the front/center folks.

chipwich likes this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Well ok but I don’t think swapping a tube is to “radically reconfigure” an amp. People do it all the time and it is inexpensive quick and easy.

14. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I just bought a new DRRI. It is one of the best amps I have had. It replaced a Ampeg Reverberocket and a BF Fender Tremolux in my amp stable. I need clean headroom for my admittedly limited style so I chose the DRRI over the PRRI. I have not looked into any mods, or tube swaps but the out of the box sound is just so Fender like that I would be loath to change a thing. For now. I have a pair of the Alessandro's (10 inchers) in a cab and the DRRI drives them beautifully. Maybe a good speaker swap. At any rate having owned an AC15 I think the DRRI is a better amp especially with a Fender guitar. I would keep it stock for a while and enjoy it. Good luck!

15. Marc Morfei

I thought I should report back on the DRRI, which I picked up a few weeks ago in a trade. I've been using it in rehearsals, and I can say that I completely and totally happy. The volume is more than I will need most of the time. But the tone is perfect, and it seems to adapt perfectly to any combination of guitars and effects. I feel like I can finally stop thinking about other amps, and stick with this one forever.

16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Input 2 can be your friend for volume reduction, often...at least ime.

I’m not one for buying an amp and immediately changing out parts, but if you DO look at changing speakers, give a listen to an Eminence JS1250 Josh Smith model. Great speaker for that circuit imo. I don’t really dislike the C12K though.

Congrats! They’re great amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.