New Epiphones in the 'Inspired by Gibson' electric and acoustic series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by backporchmusic, Nov 17, 2020.

1. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So I never got a replacement for the J200 - sold out. But can't imagine why - if you're after the looks and feel, well sure. But this thing just didn't sound good at all. However, I also was disappointed yesterday trying out several SJ200 Originals by Gibson. They too sounded very thinny to me.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I returned my Hummingbird too. It looked like a Hummingbird, but sounded like an OK, somewhat tinny/high mid-forward lower end all solid wood guitar. NOT like a Hummingbird. There was binding issues at the nut on virtually every slot, but I could have fixed that. It was otherwise pretty nice.

But I had some dream that it would sounds like a Hummingbird, with that characteristic muted top and thumpy low.

3. Pete79

Pete79 NEW MEMBER!

That's interesting that best new Epi thread can be found on Tele forum (btw Tele is my fav electric guitar)
    I always dreamt of having Gibson acoustic, sold my Epi DR-500mce (lovely guitar) and other 2 acoustics. I ordered G-45 Studio. What a disappointment! The guitar is rough, setup reminded me acoustic squires (and it is recommended by Gibson in terms of string action, neck relief, I measured it when I received it). The neck is really thick, maybe someone likes it, but not me. Also sustain was poor, my parlour all solid Alvarez sounded longer after strum. This guitar sounds only with heavy flat pick and heavy strumming, then it plays great. But it's terrible for fingerpicking. Worst thing was the smell, what a strange idea to perfume new guitar? I understand that it is cheapest Gibson acoustic, but it is still quite expensive. I realised that all magic about Montana, US made is just marketing nowadays.
    3 days after opening guitar stores in UK I went to the shop to try Excellente and Hummingbird. I bought Hummingbird. Lovely vintage look, beautiful pickguard (not flat like in other Epis), warm sound with nice low end , sustain, overtones and great playability. The only minus is Fishman pickup.

backporchmusic likes this.
  4. Pete79

Pete79 NEW MEMBER!

I have no idea what the guy is saying in the video but there is quite interesting comparison there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.