1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Epiphones in the 'Inspired by Gibson' electric and acoustic series

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by backporchmusic, Nov 17, 2020.

1. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'm seeing both approaches used. My initial email said Masterbilt, but may have just been the vendor. We'll have to see, but it could just be vendor error, or maybe it is an 'Inspired by Gibson Masterbilt.' I'll post a pic of the label in mine when it arrives.

2. backporchmusic

Well, this guy was talking about these (Coronets anyway) back in August, but I missed that.

3. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

I have one of those too. It is an excellent guitar.

Preacher likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

Yeah, pretty sure the new acoustics aren't Masterbilts, so I changed the thread title to reflect that.

@etype

5. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

I like the cherry Coronet with a P-90 like this guy has

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I did a spec comparison at Sweetwater. Looks like these "Inspired by Gibson" and Masterbilts are very similar. Seems pretty likely they are coming out of the same factory.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

As I posted my joy and admiration a few weeks back, and now having added two more guitars, I am feeling more than happy.

On reviewing the latest comments relating to the current batch of new Epiphones, it would appear that the Epiphone division of that 'other company' are seemingly carving out all the headlines and catching all the plaudits.

Good on ya' Epiphone! You guys are raising the bar, and in so many ways. The guitars you are now making are certainly well crafted and are very affordable. As a company you are more than deserving of the accolades you are now receiving.

Yes, a big pat on the back is more than due. Keep up this new and inspired output of Epiphone creations, and we will no doubt continue with our support down the road.

From a proud Epiphone guitar owner ...... and yes I still like my Gibsons ......but I don't feel I need another one just yet as my aspirations are currently leaning in another direction.

8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Enjoy!

9. backporchmusic

Thanks for the video. I get the feeling the guitars are recorded using both pickup and the ambient mic. I sure hope they sound warmer and less tinny and compressed in a room, acoustically...

Though the J200 sounds pretty darn good.

etype likes this.
  10. backporchmusic

I think that is why there might be confusion in the marketplace. They've had all-solid Masterbilts for a long time, but none were technically a Gibson-inspired model, they were just Dreads, OM, or AJ. Though come to think of it, they've has a Masterbilt AJ45 for a while now...

These seem to be Masterbilt in construction, but 'Inspired by Gibson' in name and marketing.

IMadeYouReadThis and etype like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Big Epi fan here. I'm waiting for the "Inspired by Gibson" Epi Masterbuilt L-1.

Hey, a not so subtle hint on this forum could go a long way.;) Just sayin'

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

13. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Very pretty acoustics!

Their masterbilt line a few years ago had some phenomenal guitars (my AJ500M is still my best acoustic), if these are anything similar it'll be a winner.

Looks like these new ones are all solid wood, which is a good sign.

Flakey likes this.
  14. backporchmusic

Obsessed, duzie and RadioFM74 like this.
  15. backporchmusic

Looks like my Crestwood arrives Thursday and Hummingbird on Monday. Will report back.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Let us know how the neck feels at the nut when you get the Coronet. I've had a few Epiphones that I loved the look and sound of, but struggled with the narrow neck. I still have a 70s ET-270 that I love the sound of and feel of the neck, but it doesn't get as much play as my other guitars because the string spacing is a little tight near the nut. These reissues look like they could be a cool replacement for it if the neck isn't too narrow.

backporchmusic likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Does Epiphone still have it's own line, separate from the ' Inspired by Gibson' Epis? I get confused on this.
    I just have memories of having many more models, than shown in the ' Inspired' line.

BTW,
    I bought this new ( 2018 used, in EXC.) SG Pro this June, that even though it predates the ' Inspired ' line, is just an amazing guitar.
    ( I've owned and sold 5 previous Epis since the early '90's- not one can touch this SG)

20200624_094148.jpg

Feels great/solid but not heavy, beautiful, but most importantly sounds very clear and detailed- good pickups and pots- a real improvement.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. backporchmusic

Specs online say 1.69" or 43mm, so I don't think they are replicating the thinner nut width.

Also, I bought a Crestwood and have no idea why I keep saying Coronet.

19. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

It is kinda hard to sort it out now. The Wilshire/Crestwood/Coronet solidbody electrics are all Epi designs as are some of the archtops and acoustics like the Texan, Frontier, and Excellente. Not sure beyond that.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm seriously looking at the J200.

$900 versus $5000 for the Gibson version? If the Epiphone is even half what the Gibson is, its a steal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.