New EHX Mod11 modulator - is this a game changer?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Aug 14, 2019.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

Two types of tremolo, chorus, phaser, flanger, Univibe and several others in one pedal. And knowing EHX, it'll probably run for something around $150. Consider my interest piqued.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not a game changer. Alexander Effects has been doing loads of effects like that in a small foot print for a while now as well - for about 50 bucks more, but made in the USA and all that jazz. Tremolo and chorus are usually run after OD and the other effects are typically run in front of OD, so you might need two pedals anyway for whatever it is you are doing. Plus, it will really come down to how well it does any of the tones for the price.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

Still very hard to beat a pedal like the Zoom ms 70 cdr for price / quality, with the possibility of making presets which in pedals like this are so useful, changing the parameters in a live situation it's a nightmare

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and RoyalBaby like this.
  4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

IME, pedals that do a bunch of stuff OK are just not as good as pedals that do one thing very well.

Also, when switching from one algorithm to another, you're going to need to tweak all the knobs and re-dial it in, and no provision for saving a couple presets make that a deal-breaker when playing live.

Unless you have cheat-sheet diagrams, or have photos of settings on your phone.

Anyway, the Nu-X Mod Core Deluxe is $80 or less and sounds perfectly adequate. The Uni-Vibe setting is really good for so cheap, er, I mean, inexpensive.

bgmacaw and Paul in Colorado like this.
  5. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Multi fx that become single fx live. But, how much of the market is now people who regularly play live? Or maybe you just want one mod but which one changes on the set you are playing so you don’t have to own a bunch of pedals? Actually I’m talking myself into it...:confused:

6. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I’ve got a BF-2 and a TR-2, meaning I can make all those sounds already so I’m good, thanks. ;-D

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I guess pedals that have several types of modulation effects are pretty rare in the market, there are only a couple hundred different pedal models by different manufacturers. Maybe as few as a thousand models by several hundred manufacturers.

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Exactly.. digital pedal with a bunch of digital mod effects. You can't drop swing your guitar around without hitting 10 of these in a shop. Does a bunch of stuff but if it does nothing that hasn't already been done a hundred times how does it change the game?

I'm going to guess this one will be like the Oceans 11... gets a bunch of hype cause they crammed so much stuff into it. Then people start thinking none of them sound that great after all and it's way too complicated and it gets forgotten pretty quick. EHX pedals seem to fit into 2 camps... great stuff that does one thing and are likely analog and fairly old, and new stuff that's digital and overcomplicated.

9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Seems pretty cool but it's not the only game in town for that type of pedal. If you occasionally need chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, univibe etc it might be a good thing to save room on your pedalboard, but as has been mentioned you'd have to change settings for each different effect.

cyclopean likes this.
  10. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Didn't like a lot of the effects although the envelope controlled flanger was badass. There is a lot of competition for this type of pedal with a lot of inexpensive offerings that sound comparable to this.

11. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Probably not for me. I want control over my sound and knobs with secondary and hidden functions really scare me. I already have pedals that don't tell me which mode I'm on and they are really nasty to tweak on the fly even though I like the way they sound in general.

beninma likes this.
  12. Randy Ito

Randy Ito TDPRI Member

I look EXH's multi-modulation is the first time. Very interesting.

But... Unfortunately, this is not uncommon.
    Also, I think $ 150 is not cheap.

Zoom MS50G
     The price is around $ 100,
    And many presets are available

Nu-X Mod Core Deluxe
     Approximately $ 80
    For 8 modes, U-Vibe and Rotary are very nice sound.

Nu-X Mod Force
     Discontinued
     Can create 10 presets in 12 modes
     And a preset that combines 2 mode

VALETON CORAL MDR
      About $ 40
    You can switch to 16 modes,
    Modulation as well as delay and reverb.

HOTONE Xtomp mini
    About $ 70.
    You can set effects via Bluetooth from your smartphone.

And, there are many other Products.

radiocaster likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have both of these pedals on my experimental stereo board. They cover a lot of ground and sound real good. And the Zoom has presets.

Thin white duke likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

As others note, hard to see the value proposition as against cheaper and more functional offerings like Zoom.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have a Hardwire TR-7 on my board that has 7 different modulations on it... which is about 5 more than I need. (I use it for trem and play with the Vibe setting sometimes.) But I got it for around $60, so I don't mind. But paying $150 for an overcomplicated pedal doesn't work for me; I bought a multi-function Digitech Obscura delay a couple years ago and traded it asap for the one-trick Catalinbread Belle Epoch... much happier.

Watching that Mod 11 demo, I might use 3 of those settings.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  16. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I dunno, I'm inclined to get the Eventide H9. Yeah, it's four times the price, but it looks like it can do just about everything except turn on the Mr. Coffee machine in the morning.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For me Oceans 11 is a great pedal.

And - I run it into a ‘66 Ampeg Gemini I. An amp reputed to have some of the best reverb ever.

I only use about 4 things on it but , it was used, less than $100 and it works .

Don’t gloss over the past either. Some of those “classic” Single function analog EHX pedals are white-noisy as fug...

TequilaCaster likes this.
  18. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

I have the EHX Oceans Eleven, and the EHX Canyon Delay pedals, and find them to be top-notch. I generally just leave them on one effect function and setting for gigs. But when I am doing some song writing and recording, I have a lot of fun experimenting with all the available options. I'm pretty excited about this new offering! EHX is taking over my pedal board. Resistance appears to be futile. I'm even starting to resemble Mike Matthew's. Sheesh!

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

can you stack the effects?

20. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

a modulation pedal for when you're not sure about modulation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.