1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New DRRI mod for "Tremolo always on"

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by junkman510, Jul 16, 2018.

1. junkman510

junkman510 TDPRI Member

I have seen this mod using a special stereo plug that is shorted for the Tremolo to be on all the time.

I discovered a very simple mod where you can use ANY mono plug, patch cord, guitar cable, speaker cable, etc.... and have the tremolo always on.

All you do is swap the white and grey wires going to J6 footswitch jack. Then you carefully peel the label off the footswitch and reverse it. Now the footswitch works and is correctly labeled.
    After this is done, you can plug in ANY mono plug and your Tremolo will be on. You can leave you footswitch at home.

NOTE: If the mono plug is shorted, then the Reverb will be turned off. Also the attached photos show the jack in original config.
    Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

robrob likes this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - that mod is just changing how that switching jack works.

I try and avoid these types of changing because I'm not smart enough to remember I did them in 20 years, without adding a label to something :D

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Works, but it'd be much easier with less risk to the amp or voiding warranty to mod a stereo plug .

Reverbious and Andy B like this.
  4. junkman510

junkman510 TDPRI Member

The whole point to the mod is I don't have to have a "special plug" which I would loose in a heartbeat.
    There is no risk to the amp with this mod. It should be designed this way to begin with. I wouldn't mess with the warranty on any amp. Mine is way past that point and I have modded the crap out of it.

5. Reverbious

Reverbious TDPRI Member

To your point, it would void the warranty for those who wish to maintain theirs. And it does mean anyone who buys that amp now has a non-standard setup. If they plug a normal footswitch in, it isn't going work properly and they will think the reverb or tremolo are broken.

But in your case, with an amp well past warranty, which is already heavily modified, which it sounds like you plan to keep, it seems fine if you want to do it. But for most folks, the faster, better and most easily reversable solution, which does not void a warranty is to use a plug.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.