1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Driver

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rick-kcmo, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Rick-kcmo

Rick-kcmo TDPRI Member

Hi guys - I've been a lurker for a long time, although a member. I came to the tele party late. I'm lame compared to most of the guys here, but I've discovered there is something to the "direct" sound of a tele that I love. Lots of variations, though. Although it isn't the point of the post, thought I would tell you a bit about what I've played with. Had a G&L semi-hollow that I loved with these weird twin rails. One of those, what the hell was I thinking, things. I think the pickups were Gotohs but was never certain. Have had a 52 Fender reissue (hate the neck shape) two Grosh's, presently have a MIJ Jerry Donahue, this silly semi-hollow G&L Tribute that has maybe the best sounding neck tele pickup I've ever heard, plus I'm building two - One a one piece ash with maple board, Fralin vintage winds, and one weird korina with Bare Knuckles 50's flats.

My reason for the post is about my amps. I had use of a Tone King Sky King for a while. Killer amp. However part of the appeal, and price, is the attenuation circuits, which are transformer coupled. This is the best I've ever used but... I don't need it. I play clean a lot, have a couple of good mild overdrive pedals. Have to say that Tone King is an incredibly good company that truly cares. Thanks, Mark. The Sky King did introduce me to the Celestion Creamback 65W driver. I have an all original, except for maintenace stuff, 67 Deluxe Reverb. 12" driver was a 12" Weber 12F150, lightly doped. Correct replacement driver, right? Yeah, but... Tonight I put a Creamback in it. Yeah. Yeah, yeah. Fantastic. All the 3D and harmonic complexity you would expect, although you do have to turn up the treble a bit. Not like the DR is rolled off on top anyway. Also got this incredible, deep, articulate, almost piano like bass. Man, I love it.

No idea if this means anything to anyone, but since I'm mainly a taker, I thought I would share. Plenty loud for me; I mainly play clean, with a little hair. Other guitars are some home grown stuff. Oh, forgot about my Seuf tele, a PRS Custom 22, Hamer Newport, and some other odds and ends. Love this combo. Thanks.

2. Ike286

Ike286 Tele-Holic

Nice. :) Always nice to come across good tone with such a simple fix. :)

3. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the review on this speaker, sounds nice.

This post needs some amp and guitar pics for good measure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.