New Dream Amp: Laney Lionheart

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bluescube, Aug 14, 2019.

1. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I've been wanting one of these for years. Seemed like the perfect home tube amp. I had a Laney VC15 before and stupidly sold it. Anyways, Amazon has these at $925 now, but for one day the price dropped to $552.40 !!!. So I hit the buy it button. Going to sell off some pedals and maybe my Blackstar Artist 15 amp.

The Class A 5W EL84 power section is perfect for home use. I can get good tones at any volume. If I want to push the EL84 power section, I can do so without it being stupid loud. The clean channel breaks up nice when cranked. The reverb is "ok" and useable, but it's no spring reverb. The Blackstar's digital verb is better.

Both the Laney and my Blackstar have Celestion G12H30 Anniversary speakers. The Blackstar with it's 6L6 power tubes has a more Blackface tone and has deeper bass than the Laney. The Laney stomps all over the Blackstar with it's drive channel. Classic rock tones. The Artist 15 is more a clean-ish amp that needs pedals for good drive tones.

Happy Camper!

RoyalBaby, Crobbins, Torren61 and 5 others like this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They are a stupidly capable amplifier, and the amplifier I blame for my love of low wattage glowing boxes of joy. At a post gig lock-in/open jam ( Dad blues ), I got to comp the rhythm for a few songs on one, and it sticks with me just how good it sounded. Despite being all of 5 Watts, those Watts are glorious and my time in the audience was blessed by being able to distinguish the sound of the Laney amid bass, drums, another guitar and keyboard. A lot of that was not occupying other peoples space, but even so, it sang a sonorous melody.
    They're built like a brick outhouse, look fantastic and sound utterly captivating. I think the lack of outright bass and the simple, yet effective tilt-back are what help it be heard.
    I admire your taste, and yes, one has been on my want list since that night. Enjoy it, and may it bring you years of pleasure.

3. bluescube

I love the kickstand!

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice hope you love it, have you actually played it?

I played a Victoria Vicky Verb yesterday. $2200 5W boutique amp. I was seriously underwhelmed by it. Other than the fact it had a real spring reverb on board I pretty much thought my Orange Rocker 15 which I paid $700 for was better in every way. It was a really educational experience.

At least you got a killer deal, if you don't actually like it you might actually probably profit off reselling it.

5. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Behringer ps1 attenuator is next on my list. Seems to get any tubeamp to sound good on low levels...
    A jet clone if I understand it right

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Congrats..cool amp !Have had a IRT60 for awhile. tamed the first tube & 6l6 tung sols in. Must say very versatile cool amp..can go Brit or Am depending on speakers..has the Laney lower mids thing. heck of a rock blues amp, It loves strats. The MV is very good.

7. bluescube

It's weird how beefy and big this amp is for 5W. I'm torn on using the bright switch, with it on it's voxy but my tonebender pedal doesn't jive with the bright switch

8. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I've been curious of Laney amps for a while. Thanks for this thread.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I’m presently looking for something like that.
    I’ll check em’ out.

10. markal

markal Tele-Holic

I had one and sold it. Kinda wish I’d kept it.

My main complaint was the weight-to-volume ratio. Too loud to really open it up at home most of the time, too heavy and sometimes not loud enough for jams and rehearsals.

If I had seen that deal...hmmmm...tempting.

Enjoy!!

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

12. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I played 4 or 5 gigs in a band and the bassist worked at Headstock who are the U.K. distributors of Laney ( and Ibanez and other stuff) and he said let him know if there was anything I wanted - I was in the market for a new amp so didn’t need asking twice and got my L20T at staff price. Did my rehearsals and gigs with it for a couple of years. Several people, when we played, asked about it, never had anyone ask about an amp before. Bit sad that it doesn’t really get used now; gosh another reason to dust off the gigging hat maybe...:confused:

Enjoy :)

13. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

This is my view as well...i Also had one...paid 305 for it brand new due to MF error...sold it for good profit a couple of years later. Liked it but didn't love it....almost loved it... Stupid heavy amp. Just don't think about the weight to watts ratio and maybe it'll please. They do sound good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.