New (Dirt Cheap) Pedal from Sweetwater.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cosmic Cowboy, May 10, 2021.

1. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

I noticed (a few months back) that Behringer is partnering with with Sweetwater and offering 'Lagacy' pedal circuits for super-affordable prices. The one I got was out of stock and on backorder for awhile. But arrived from FedEx this morning.

Most are $25 shipped in the US. They have a selection of Tube Screamers, Distortions, Chorus, Fuzz, Delays, Reverbs, Compressors, Vibratos, Tremolos and more.

I am already covered on pedals (for the most part...lol) but curiosity got the better of me.

The one I thought to try is a EQ, modeled off the Boss GE7. They call it EQ7.

They are in cheap, plastic enclosures with some questionable jacks and knobs, but the circuits seem to be decent.

If I was a player looking to build a cheap, or first pedal board, I would think these are a good start. I am heading to the studio to give it a go, and will report back my findings.

IMG_20210510_085028874.jpg

old soul, Telecaster88 and blowtorch like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know if items are now in stock, but last time SW did this, nothing was, and months-long wait.

( I ordered, then later would cancel)

3. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Behringer has been cloning established circuits for nigh two decades. Some take issue with it, some do not. As someone who also builds clone equipment (for personal use) I'm on the fence.

4. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

No more foreign made sweat shop built effects by circuit design and copyright thieves for me there are just way too many great pedal builders in the USA and Europe that deserve and have earned my support through actual innovation and competitive pricing.

5. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

This suggest to me we may be overpaying for pedals.o_O

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, just went to the website and the EQ pedal is in stock, all the rest, OOS.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

That's a good one. I bought mine a few years back when Walmart had them for $25. I agree the construction seems a bit flimsy, but the sound quality is excellent. I just keep mine on top of the amp since it's not the type of pedal I need to stomp on/off in the middle of songs. Basically I just use it to enhance the Telecaster's "twang"...pretty close to how you have it set in the picture actually.

Cosmic Cowboy and Telecaster88 like this.
  8. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

I just got my EQ700 in from Sweetwater as well. I haven't used it yet, but I took a look at it. The one thing that immediately disappointed me was that the sliders don't have any middle notches to stop in. That kind of annoyed me at first, but after I thought about it, does it really matter? I mean, you turn the EQ on to change your tone. If a slider isn't perfectly in the "0" position, would you even notice anyway?

I knew the Behringer pedals were plastic, and I don't really care about that. I'm not planning on gigging with it, so I'm not really worried about it breaking. I also got the Tube Screamer clone (TO800) which came in a few weeks ago. I never owned a real Tube Screamer, so this was a perfect way for me to try one out on the cheap. And so far, I really like it. If I end up using it a lot, maybe one day I'll "upgrade" to a real Ibanez TS. The EQ pedal, I just needed a cheap second EQ pedal. I've had a DOD EQ for years, but I wanted to be able to use an EQ in the FX loop as well as the input with out having to switch things around (mostly for experimenting) but I didn't want to spend any real money on a second EQ pedal that I'll probably rarely use anyway.

9. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have had this pedal for over 10 years and it works fine. I don't know if I would use it on a pedal board that I gigged regularly, but for occasional use it has been great. The one gripe I have is that the switch is a little touchy, especially if you have it on a carpeted floor - it doesn't give a firm click or other tactile indication that you have fully engaged the switch and you may have to look down to see if the LED has changed. As long as you are using it as an always-on pedal it should quite usable.

10. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I got the Behringer Super Fuzz from Sweetwater recently, my sense of cheapness override my take on Behringer's business model. Close enough to my Univox Super Fuzz to consider selling.

11. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Ok. After a quick noodle on the EQ700, I have a couple of immediate takeaways.

-The sound quality is pretty good. No addition of unwanted noise...in fact, cutting some high end (which I typically do with a slight cut above 6500hz) actually reduced noise...even above unity level.

-The faders don't pop, gargle or make any strange noise when toggling.

-It appears this pedal is buffered, which I was hoping for... and may mean I can think of other ways this pedal is useful...(For example...when rolling the volume off on my Tele...I don't lose the high end...whether or not the pedal is "on"...like a roundabout way to get a 'treble bleed'.)

Negatives.

-Construction. Obviously for $25 shipped, something has to give. In this case, It's pretty obvious. Plastic enclosure, plastic faders, jacks are on the flimsy side. I don't know how long this would last on a gigging schedule. However at $25, you could buy 4 or 5 of em for the price of a real Roland Boss GE-7.

-Feeling dirty. With an EQ, I don't know how much I feel like I am buying a copycat product...I mean it's an EQ...I don't think an EQ is some protected, boutique concept that is dipped in goo to protect the intellectual property within.

However, some of the obvious likeness in marketing and packaging to the Boss pedal is kinda dirty pool. I think they call their 'tube screamer' the T800.

Overall....Works/Performs well out of the box. Long term realiability may be a consideration.

12. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought a Behringer Vibrato pedal (UV-300, I think) and it sounded great. Clearly a clone of the rare Boss VB, but the construction was way cheap. I considered re-housing it.

I used it for a year, then saved up and bought a Boss VB-w Waza Craft. Gave the Behringer to my son's friend who just got his first electric.

13. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Some thoughts on this thread:

If we really cared about who invented the original circuit of anything, we'd still be on DC electricity with repeaters every 50 miles. Fast followers is a human tradition.

Not everyone can choose between ground beef at 6.99 a pound, gas at 3.50 a gallon, and a Klon Centaur. I don't have time for holier than thou assertions.

If you've built a few pedals (or amps), you know there's absolutely no magic there. NONE. And the original circuits were based on engineering white papers. Did Fender pay royalties to the folks who wrote those? Everything is derivative, just like every one of your favorite songs or chord progressions.

I guess we shouldn't buy any other pickup winder's version of a PAF, or P90 or whatever, either.

If I wanted a Dumble or Trainwreck, I'd build one. Should I send Ken Fischer's estate royalties?

Maybe I should send Merlin Blencowe some money. You know for all the amps I've built using his knowledge. If I send him a 2% share of the profits, well, he'll owe me about $150.

I've been known to buy a cheap tool at Harbor Freight. Like an angle grinder. If I use it enough to break it or wear it out, then I invest in more expensive one. Or like when it fell off my bench and broke in half. I shelled out for a Porter Cable. Not sure if they are the original inventor of the grinder. But I like their colors and bezel the best.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I won't get into the debate about "copyrighted circuits" except to note (like Commodore 64 above) that these circuit designs have largely been around for a long time. Also, if you change the value of a capacitor or two in an established circuit, does it become your circuit? How many variations on the Big Muff do we have now?

I will say that I prefer buying pedals at higher cost from established companies like Boss and Ibanez mainly because of the (generally) higher quality enclosures, switches, and parts used in the construction. Why buy a flimsy, plastic, cheap pedal that will end up in a landfill in six months when you can get something that will last? It's like particle board furniture versus solid wood...

bgmacaw and That Cal Webway like this.
  15. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Copying and modifying long established designs is one thing. But routinely burning innovators by ignoring long established patent and copyright law on recently produced items is how innovation is stifled. Why should new builders design and build what thieves will steal anyways? It doesn't hurt as much when your pocketbook isn't taking a hit as a result I guess. Some people take an old couch left along the road. Other people break into the house and take the couch and justify it saying it will be along the road one day too.

hdvades likes this.
  16. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I'll only purchase and drive a Dodge Caravan. They were the first. Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna are copies that unethically detract from Dodge's rightful profits.

17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The patents on these circuits expired decades ago. Virtually all of them can be found online on DIY pedal and electronics forums/blogs and chip manufacturers spec sheets.

Innovative companies, like Earthquaker and Strymon, are doing quite well because their designs are complex, involve software and would be quite expensive to reverse engineer. Some other companies, like Wampler, EHX and Keeley, use a combination of both classic circuit designs along with digital innovations. Companies that don't innovate end up losing market share.

19. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Aren't pretty much all pedals copies of some other circuit? Cheap pedals have a place in the market. People that just want to mess around with pedals at home don't need to pay top dollar for pedals that are made to take the abuse of gigging.

20. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I wonder if big companies like Boss like the copies because they count on people eventually wanting the real thing? I always stuck to old school sounds like fuzz, reverb, and tremolo until I had a cheap Line 6 M5, with which I discovered I like sample & hold random filters and flanger. I've since bought several pedals because of sounds I found in that box of knockoffs.

And @Chuckster , I also have a Behringer copy of the Boss VB-2. I agree it sounds great and it also made me want to buy a Boss VB-2w.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.