New Diamond Cut Stew Mac Nut Files

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Nov 13, 2019.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

There have been many threads on here about finding low cost nut files in order to perform this important task.

Well, the folks over at Stew Mac have just released some new Diamond Cut nut files to add to your tool arsenal.

Most likely these new files work fabulously, but hopefully you won the lottery in order to buy a set!

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...l&utm_source=NPA&utm_content=M1320_B_20191113

A single 0.010 file costs $54.95 and a single 0.046 file costs $74.95

So how many of you are planning to buy a complete set?

:D

2. John Nicholas

Just an FYI, I have good files similar to the standard Stew Mac files and they are amazing. These are on a whole different level... a set would cost over $300.!!

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Well they have DIAMONDS on them... ask my wife. She knows DIAMONDS are expensive!!

NewKid, teletimetx and John Nicholas like this.
  4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

They're cheaper if you buy 6!! :D

Actually, while very nice, they are entirely unnecessary for the average Joe guitar player. The standard metal files are fine. If I were a real Luthier then I would consider something more durable.

By the way, what I do to start the nut slots is to use a cheap fine tooth hobby razor saw for all six slots, then enlarge each with my metal nut files.

5. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

I believe I'll take a pass on those John ;).

I think diamond files are over rated.

They are certainly over priced :).

g

John Nicholas and SacDAve like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are a professional repair person and you want premium tools, then I can see them being an investment. They will probably make a difference and pay for themselves quickly. Set ups are bread and butter jobs for these guys. For me....I wouldn't invest in anything that expensive when a Hosco set does the job. Plenty of people will spend big bucks on parts that may or may not make any difference on their guitar.

The same thing applies here I think. Why spend 100 dollars on a tele bridge when a 20 dollar one works, and lots of folks do just that.

old wrench and John Nicholas like this.
  7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a complete set of Japanese Uo-Chikyu Nut Files for about $80. Well made and work great!

Jackadder and John Nicholas like this.
  8. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Holic

Haha, got this email too and was astounded at the price. You'd have to be cutting nuts galore to justify a set of these, or be a 'Hollywood luthier to the stars.'

John Nicholas likes this.
  9. John Nicholas

I agree 100%!!

Steve Holt likes this.
  10. failsafe306

failsafe306 TDPRI Member

Huh?

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sorry didn't proof read before posting. Maybe a moderator can delete that mess of mine. Very sorry.

failsafe306 likes this.
  12. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

I have shattered 3 .010” nut files. I doubt that would ever happen with these new diamond files. I don’t think they are tempered steel. No need for them to be. I assume the roundness of the edge and the consistency of the width is much more precise than the traditional toothed files. Yes, it’s too bad they are so expensive. I think StewMac probably did everything they could to get the cost as low as possible and have a durable tool. Not a cheap diamond tool where the diamonds wear off easily. At least I hope so. I will be watching the reviews. I have dreamed for years about diamond nut files that could cut slots in hard ceramic or maybe even glass. But I’m also a fan of zero frets with a nylon spacer nut, so that makes the price that much harder to justify for now. Anyway, thumbs up to StewMac for coming up with these.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can buy a diamond blade for my 9 inch grinder for about $10 bucks. If you could cut the disk blade and roll it out flat it would equal a few diamond fret files. You could probably get 6 small ones out of it and have a set. I don't know why they charge so much for diamond files.

So no I wont be buying one.:)

I just buy pre slotted tusq nuts and don't have to go to the hassle of sanding the slots on necks from 9.5 to 12 inch radius which is all I ever install nuts on.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  14. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Just for clarity... are you gently moving them across the nut slot? Or tomahawking them overhand?

charlie chitlin and Steve Holt like this.
  15. Soapbarstrat

Tomahawking them overhand. I thought it would be fun to ruin 3 $13.00 tools for no good reason.

charlie chitlin and Steve Holt like this.
  16. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Eh.... I've wasted $39.00 on far worse. :lol:

17. John Nicholas

Not sure how you broke the files... but stuff happens!

I agree the files are very well designed by StewMac. Their stuff is awesome and I love all the special tools I have purchased from them. These were a bit on the expensive side....

18. Soapbarstrat

The files sometimes bind, then they can snap. Did it to two old Grobets and a NOS German file that was actually a .009” (have 2 more that I am extra careful with)

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Part of the reason these are do expensive is the extremely fine and consistent diamonds. I'm perfectly happy with my Uo Chikyu files, but can see where these have a specific target clientele. Not for me, but I like that some places are still innovating guitar tools.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.