New Design Proto Build - Sly

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Yes.. we'll see. Usually, fancy builds go hand in hand with quality wood and hardware. This is a first time, for me at least, to use the best quality materials in a minimal "stripped" and quick build package. I will start soon... Just need to heal from painful broken ribs and off to work

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes.. we'll see. Usually, fancy builds go hand in hand with quality wood and hardware. This is a first time, for me at least, to use the best quality materials in a minimal "stripped" and quick build package. I will start soon... Just need to heal from painful broken ribs and off to work

Broken eh? Got about 12 of those ATM, my sympathies

koolaide

Tele-Afflicted
Nothing heroic...stumbled on a rock while camping. Used my arm to block the fall and it was my elbow that was pushed between the ground and my ribs that broke them. I could hear the crunch...
Very painful. Don't try this at home

Gil I hate to tell you, but you get more clumsy as you get old, just saying. And … Don't ask me how I know.

Hope you feel better soon my friend. Stay safe.

Jim

PS I still have and love the nicest S style you ever built. IMHO.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Gil I hate to tell you, but you get more clumsy as you get old, just saying. And … Don't ask me how I know.

Hope you feel better soon my friend. Stay safe.

Jim

PS I still have and love the nicest S style you ever built. IMHO.

I get way more agile and beautiful with time!!!
My daughters tell me that every time they need to ask me for something

koolaide

Tele-Afflicted
I get way more agile and beautiful with time!!!
My daughters tell me that every time they need to ask me for something

That only means your daughters are smart, but they haven't quite figured out dad is still much wiser than they are. That is the other thing that comes with age.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
That only means your daughters are smart, but they haven't quite figured out dad is still much wiser than they are. That is the other thing that comes with age.

I'd really like to believe that every new generation should evolve and become a little smarter... so I'm not quite sure what's going on.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
BODY

Sly is based on the late 50's Les Pauls like all my set neck designs so it will have a Mahogany back with Maple top.
Two models will probably be tested/offered, one with a solid body and the other will be semi hollowed.
Using old Mahogany that was air dried for years is preferred for best tone but material is scarce and expensive. The way I decided to keep the quality and cut the cost is to use the same wood but not as a one piece body.
Over the years I kept all the reasonably sized cutoffs of my best wood to be used in future projects.
Testing a multi piece vs 1 piece body is old news to me as I have been doing this for a long time on the F builds. I did not witness any loss of tone on a glued 2 or 3 piece body.

Here are a few pieces that I set aside for the Sly prototypes

IMG_20200713_104233.jpg

Note that my most common cutoffs are less than half a body width but I still want the back to look symmetrical so it calls for a 3 piece body in the following layout..

IMG_20200713_103818.jpg

I make sure the gang will allow for a 13" width

IMG_20200713_104328(1).jpg

Last edited:

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
center piece is jointed 2 sides, first on the jointer table and then on through the thickness planer to keep an even width

IMG_20200713_104046.jpg

side blanks are jointed one side only

IMG_20200713_103935.jpg

Like this

IMG_20200713_104259.jpg

I do a couple of body blanks very tightly to squeeze out most of the glue and wipe clean. cream UF glue is used which is harder and stronger than the wood itself

IMG_20200713_115125.jpg

Last edited: