New Design Proto Build - Sly

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
IMG_20200923_143138.jpg
[/URL]

Macrogats

Friend of Leo's
That is simply STUNNING!! Fantastic job as always. I love how the grain looks so natural and not buried in a ton of poly. The sides look like you’ve used a matching vinyl such is the texture. Absolutely beautiful.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
That is simply STUNNING!! Fantastic job as always. I love how the grain looks so natural and not buried in a ton of poly. The sides look like you’ve used a matching vinyl such is the texture. Absolutely beautiful.

Thx.

The texture is the actual wood and aside from looking great it also feels very organic to the touch. No more sticky neck... even when sweating on stage.
Another plus is the fact that the finish is soaked in the wood surface (not built on top of it) and will not peel, crack or chip.. very durable stuff. Tone improvement for sure and is now used as default across the entire model line.

tigger

Tele-Meister
Very cool. I think what I really dig in your guitar designs is that they have the bits of traditional designs in them that you would just not do if all you cared about was the cost of the product. I'm not sure anyone else would appreciate noticing that a headstock has glued-on wings, but I definitely do!

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Very cool. I think what I really dig in your guitar designs is that they have the bits of traditional designs in them that you would just not do if all you cared about was the cost of the product. I'm not sure anyone else would appreciate noticing that a headstock has glued-on wings, but I definitely do!

I'm pretty "heavy" and sold on traditional designs and workmanship... I would think X100 before changing anything traditional.
Only changes I made in the last few years were as follows:

1- small dual truss-rod : same mass and material as a traditional single action rod and no effect on tone but still functions both directions.
This is especially important for guitars shipped to hot and humid Asian locations

2- Zero finish : Still using very old wood drying salts and Shellac so I would call it a new take on old methods

3- AirGap PUs : No change to tone, just added control over level VS tone for each pole piece (string)

Every time I tried using modern type glues, lacquers, dyes, metals... etc... I failed, so I simply focus on improving the old ways honoring and appreciating the traditional materials and methods.

I see this in many other areas of life... if you want something done right look for an old school person with old school state of mind to trust. Modern stuff is just too fast, economic, impersonal, cold, hi-tech, short termed... This is the age of huge corporations and brain washing advertisement through devices.. hardly any room for retaining old school ways (-;

How many young people (under 21) are reading our threads? Or for that matter, how many youngsters are picking up a guitar?

Shabat Shalom to you all and may we see healthier and happier future full of magnificent guitars and music

RickyRicardo

Friend of Leo's
Hey Gil,

Are you still using lacquer? You said you're using shellac. In your older posts you used lacquer that you got locally in Israel and just curious what you found in the states to use and is it comparable.

As always a great world class build!