New Design Proto Build - Lyra

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Please post a photo of the color you are referring to.

I like this with the amber going to the darker sides without the dark that you normally see on tobacco burst.

1642387605294.png

I know my spruce will be different than your maple but I've got enough to experiment with and can adjust things. I can probably get close with the transtint dyes that I have but if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The guitars are stunning, as you know, and a real inspiration to many of us.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
I like this with the amber going to the darker sides without the dark that you normally see on tobacco burst.

View attachment 941006

I know my spruce will be different than your maple but I've got enough to experiment with and can adjust things. I can probably get close with the transtint dyes that I have but if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The guitars are stunning, as you know, and a real inspiration to many of us.
For transtint type l’d look for yellow/amber as first coat and medium brown for the bursting.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For transtint type l’d look for yellow/amber as first coat and medium brown for the bursting.
Agree...and while historically I've used Transtint for a lot of projects using water (can also use alcohol), I've been playing with the Angelus shoe dyes lately (alcohol soluble) and learning how to blend, etc., thanks to an influencer on the 'Tube. I like the alcohol version better for this because repeatedly working the dye doesn't introduce more moisture into the wood, etc. The Transtint also works beautifully for tinting compatible clears for spraying, too. (I only use waterborne so that's a no brainer, but I believe it will work with solvent based lacquers, too)

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to use and as always I've got a bunch of scrap to practice on. I've been looking at pictures of old guitars trying to get the exact colors in my minds eye and you had pretty much nailed what I think I want.

I do almost all of my faded and bursts with stains directly onto the wood, the old Gibson approach, so I'll have to work a bit to get the exact effect that I want but its doable.

Agree...and while historically I've used Transtint for a lot of projects using water (can also use alcohol), I've been playing with the Angelus shoe dyes lately (alcohol soluble) and learning how to blend, etc., thanks to an influencer on the 'Tube. I like the alcohol version better for this because repeatedly working the dye doesn't introduce more moisture into the wood, etc. The Transtint also works beautifully for tinting compatible clears for spraying, too. (I only use waterborne so that's a no brainer, but I believe it will work with solvent based lacquers, too)

Yes, Jim, I also have tried both alcohol and water based stains and prefer alcohol, and I have tinted lacquer with the dyes that I use. I was mostly asking Gil how he got one particular color.