1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New DAW Controller Day!

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mouth, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I don't usually want to run down the street shouting like the new phone book is here, but today i do.

I got a mackie MCU pro today!!!

I got a mackie MCU pro today!!!

Scored for a pretty good deal too.

It was a liquidation from a venue upgrade. I feel like i was in the right place at the right time. :cool:

Last week i decided to upgrad from my laptop for a workstation to a dedicated desktop with a 1 Tb ssd c drive and a 1 Tb nvme ssd.

This must be what they mean by giddy. :D:lol::D:lol::D:D:D

20200918_211134.jpg

Needs a couple of fader knobs.

It still has the protective film on the meter bridge. (Thank you former owner.)

2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Don't know why you didn't get any love here for this, awesome! How's it working out after a month?

M

3. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't worried about getting any love. Sometimes you just want to shout from the rooftops. I'm calmed down now. Lol.

It's going very good.

The new computer is a joy to record on(haven't had a single glitch yet) and the controller works great. (And I got the replacement fader caps on.)

I moved stuff around to accommodate it when I got it and just a couple days ago started to reconfigure and refine the setup.

So right now things are a mess.

4. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Nice controller!

Aren't new computers great? I've just been setting up my new studio computer... I named it the Beast. :D

Mouth likes this.
  5. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

The solid state drives are amazing.

I also had to get a new hard drive for my laptop and went solid state for it too and it's so much better than it used to be.

For the dedicated DAW, I actually bought a refurbished pc rather than brand new, since audio doesn't really need tip top of the line, then added some memory and a 2nd ssd.

I ended up at a little less than $500 for an i7 3770, 2 - 1 TB solid state drives, 32 GB of RAM.

I'm currently waiting for a slide out rack mount keyboard tray and the whole setup will live in a road case designed to have a mixer on top, computer, interface, keyboard, mouse, etc and controller.

I love seeing numbers like these. 20201031_234042.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Splodgeness likes this.
  6. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

Opps, left the wifi plugged in. But guess what? Its still amazing and glitch-free!

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Nice controller, does it speak both Mackie and HUI or just Mackie language ? Some DAWS are very specific.

8. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

It speaks both mackie and hui.

T Prior likes this.
  9. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Cool. So what's the rest of your set-up?

10. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

It's been an evolution. I just play around in my off work hours with practicing, tinkering, and for the last 9 months or so, recording in recent times (20 years ago I had a home setup with a roland vs840 and a lexicon core2 using cool edit pro and I used acid and fruityloops, but that's all boxed up from moving houses and I'm starting over with more current tech).

The interface I'm currently using is a Behringer UMC1820.

Prior to the new computer purchase, I was recording on my laptop with a single drive. Mostly experimenting with DAW software. My glitches may have had more to do with using a single drive(and possibly the drive failing -which may have been accelerated using it that way).

The interface inputs can be switched to instrument level and I've just going straight in or through some pedals.

I have amps and mics to record with, but straight in is simple and satisfying enough for what I'm doing right now.

I have some basses and am also a bass player.

I have an MPK225 connected to record some basic drums using the pads. And a KX88 for other keyboard stuff.

I'm working on a better space for recording with mics. My idea is to find a space near work for my office during the day and a place to make unrestricted noise at night.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.