New CV pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Charlodius, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I’m really digging the pickups in my new CV BSB tele- even more than my early 2000s CVC pickups. Does anyone have conclusive info whether the magnets are A3 or A5? Fender just says they are alnico. I know the older CVC has stock A5s. I’m just trying to figure out if my preference is due to a magnet difference, or if I just prefer the wind if the new ones.

Cheers-

2. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

I think BSB has the A5’s.

Charlodius likes this.
  3. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

The new "Fender Designed" alnicos on my CV Pinecaster are excellent.

Charlodius likes this.
  4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The new CV pickups are all the same, no more A3 on 50s Strats and White Blonde Teles, and A5 on 60s Strats, BSB and CVC Teles. I have the CV 70s Strat, and I've owned both the previous CV 50s and 60s Strats, and I prefer the sound of these to both of those. The new ones appaear to be the same A5s as found on Squier Standards. They do sound more like A5s than A3s to me. I've never been a big fan of A3s, but the A4 Yosemite pickups on my Performer Strat are my absolute favorite of all the Strat pickups I've ever tried in my 50+ years of playing Strats.

Fendereedo and Charlodius like this.
  5. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

A5 on the bsb a3 on the white one5

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Charlodius likes this.
  6. TheBender

TheBender TDPRI Member

Same here. I dig them. I had a set of Toneriders Hot Classics TRT2's ready to go in this morning, but I'm not gonna. These PUPS sound very sweet and smooth to me. I'm gonna do the four way switch deal though.

7. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

I have a 2014 pine BSB 50’s CV tele. I am sure the standard pickups in it are unbranded tonerider A5’s, as I have read in other threads. I have opened it up and the part number on there is the same, but the wire is different. Can’t speak to the currently available models though. The stock pickups in mine are excellent and I have no intention of ever changing them.

8. Stratospheric

Stratospheric TDPRI Member

I have mine wired for series in the middle position on a 3 way switch. Love the fat sounds from that position, great for a hairy jazzy tone. Which 4 way switch are you going for?

9. TheBender

TheBender TDPRI Member

1 is Bridge
    2 is B&N Parallel
    3 is Neck
    4 is B&N Series

Charlodius likes this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I'm assuming you have a NEW CV BSB, meaning one from Indonesia. Most of the comments above are talking about the Chinese versions with pickups that are different and are supposed to be unbranded Toneriders or very similar. I haven't seen or heard any prove that the current CV (both colours), CVC or CV Thinline would have different pickups.
    So I'm very interested in WHY you prever the new pickups. Are they darker, brighter, fatter, ... ???

Just out of curiosity, as the CV series as introduced in 2008, and the CVC wasn't introduced until 2010, how did you find an early 2000s CVC?

11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I must be off on the date of mfg. Too bad I can’t read the SN on the pic on my phone. To be honest, I had not taken the bridge off my new indo BSB to check if there is a sticker on the back of the pickup that matches the stickers on the backs of the toneriders -as is the case with the Chinese CV guitars. I don’t know if my preference has to do with the wind, a defect, or what. My CVC bridge pickup is thinner sounding- even when it is raised closer to the strings. And it feeds back easier than the BSB. I have tried a few remedies short of redipping it in paraffin and it still tends to feedback. I have a spare bridge pickup from another CVC - been meaning to drop it in and see if it takes care of the feedback issue, but I have too many projects and not enough time.

Attached Files:

12. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

Not sure what pickup this is, but it sounds pretty good to my ears after raising it a bit. This is a shot of the sticker on the neck pickup of my BSB Indo CV 50s tele.

Attached Files:

13. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

YEah i like mine 2019 CV50 Tele too. It Rocks, new alnico pickups A5 sound sweet

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

That looks like a Cort factory made pickup (the PTP code is on many of them). It seems like it is the same pickup I found in the Squier standard. This is information I've gathered over the years:
    • PTP 1601: Squier Standard Neck Pickup (seen on eBay and RL) alnico
    • PTP 1602: Squier Standard Bridge Pickup (seen on eBay and RL) / VM Cabronita with Bigsby (seen IRL) alnico
    • PTP 1603:
    • PTP 1604: Squier Affinity Pack neck Pickup / FSR Bullet SFG ceramic
    • PTP 1605: Squier Affinity Pack Bridge Pickup / FSR Bullet SFG ceramic
    • PTP 1606: Fender Electracoustic neck pickup 007-4780-000
    • PTP 1001/1002 Affinity strat

15. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

Definitely possible, nice list! The only thing that makes me second guess Cort is that it’s an ISS serial #.

16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Is it ISS? I haven't seen a new CV50s in real life...

17. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny TDPRI Member

Yep, definitely an ISS serial. Bought it online about 2-3 weeks ago. I’ll update this thread with a picture of the bridge pickup if I ever decide to pull it out.

18. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

When I researched all those numbers, all the guitars I mentioned were Cort-based, and somebody on a forum (could have been here) said they were Cort factory made.
    What does strike me, is that it is PTP-1601, just like the standard.
    Please do so!

19. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Turns out my CVC serial starts GCS15xxxx, so I guess that makes it a 2015. I stand corrected!

20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

What does an ISS serial number suggest?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.