New Custom Shop Terry Kath tele

hepular

Tele-Afflicted
So . . . the Fender custom shop is trying to harvest $$$ from wealthy folks (how much goes to Kath's family/heirs??) by recreating an instrument that only exists in the form that it does because Fender couldn't deliver what Kath wanted in the first place?

That's even weirder than the Joe Strummer version.

Sign me up for the Cornell Dupree model . . .

jlott

Tele-Meister
My son showed me this on Instagram. This is "Masterbuilt"? This is the amazing work I always hear about? That neck aging looks like I did it. What an unconvincing, sad money grab. My son asked who is Terry Kath. Oh I'm sure almost every guitar player knows that name.

michael_o

TDPRI Member
My son showed me this on Instagram. This is "Masterbuilt"? This is the amazing work I always hear about? That neck aging looks like I did it. What an unconvincing, sad money grab. My son asked who is Terry Kath. Oh I'm sure almost every guitar player knows that name.
Well, to be fair, the goal was to make detail reproduction of a real guitar. So i assume the oryginal guitar looked exactly like this and had all the 'flaws' you mentioned.

jlott

Tele-Meister
Well, to be fair, the goal was to make detail reproduction of a real guitar. So i assume the oryginal guitar looked exactly like this and had all the 'flaws' you mentioned.
I'd like to see the original. The neck aging in particular looked very amateurish to me. Maybe the original does look that horrible too.

michael_o

TDPRI Member
I agree that the price is extreme, but it's hard to agree with opinions like "money grab" and "harvesting $$$".

I mean, it's $20k per piece, for a run of 50 pieces. That's not huge revenue boost for fender :D
Making 50 guitars, say one per week, is a year of work for this masterbuilder. Not counting R&D, prototype etc. Then they have to pay some legal stuff etc. For company as big as fender is much easier to just sell 500 of $2k guitars, or even 5k of $200 guitars ;)

Those type of products are more of advertisement and brand showing that anything. And collectors get cool toys.

Also, i dont like this guitar at all :D

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I believe Terry was an early investor/part ownerowner of Pignose, thus all the Pignose stickers on the guitar.

Knowing this now ( I didn't before) about Terry K.'s involvement with Pignose, makes me want to get one even more, now.
As a collector and user of cool little amps ( nothing vintage or valuable), and someone that learned how to play in the 1970's, I should really have a Pignose in the mix.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
First off, I'm no fan of Chicago. In fact, I can't stand listening to that pap.

Second, this has to be the dumbest way ever to spend $20k on a guitar. Look at those dopey stickers all over it. Like the guy just stuck the circle stickers on and then said "Oh, wow, I can stick the part that the stickers were IN onto my guitar, too!" and then actually proceeded to do so. Because... stickers and, um, stickers cool.

Gawd, the level of dumb here is astounding. But I guess it was the early 70s and stickers on guitars were still sort of a novel thing, so maybe the 1970s me would've looked at this guitar and thought the stickers made it cooler. I doubt it, but...

Last edited:

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
ridiculous price, among other things.
I personally don't see the appeal of these sorts of guitars. I mean, I get it, but it's so not for me, regardless of whose model it may be.
And this one in particular is not the kind of look I'd like.

Get yourself a basic guitar, or even a really fine one, and then make it your own, rather than get someone else's guitar reflecting their personality or whatever. If you want stickers and tape, put your own on. If you want a particular sound, buy a particular model or put your preferred pickups in.

People are just crazy. Me too, of course, but in my own way.

66tele

TDPRI Member
Well, I won't speak to this particular Custom Shop re-issue of Kath's heavily-modified Telecaster. I still admire Chicago's early work. Kath was a phenomenal guitarist. Even if you dislike this particular guitar, do listen to Kath's work. I recommend the 1970 Tanglewood concert on You Tube.

Chicago was a young, yet experienced band. At the height of their creative development. In the right place and the right time. Kath was ahead of his time. Just my personal 2 cents.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Well, I won't speak to this particular Custom Shop re-issue of Kath's heavily-modified Telecaster. I still admire Chicago's early work. Kath was a phenomenal guitarist. Even if you dislike this particular guitar, do listen to Kath's work. I recommend the 1970 Tanglewood concert on You Tube.

Chicago was a young, yet experienced band. At the height of their creative development. In the right place and the right time. Kath was ahead of his time. Just my personal 2 cents.

Now I'm a Strat lover ( Tele too!) but IMO, Terry really shows off what 'good damage' a Strat neck pickup first, then the bridge pickup can do playing lead over an Am groove. Spectacular! The amp is overdriven ( or cranked), but the clean tone always comes through. Then of course the wah-wah..
Terry has a real mix of rawness, and phrasing precision. Love it!

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
First off, I'm no fan of Chicago. In fact, I can't stand listening to that pap.

Second, this has to be the dumbest way ever to spend $20k on a guitar. Look at those dopey stickers all over it. Like the guy just stuck the circle stickers on and then said "Oh, wow, I can stick the part that the stickers were IN onto my guitar, too!" and then actually proceeded to do so. Because... stickers and, um, stickers cool.

Gawd, the level of dumb here is astounding. But I guess it was the early 70s and stickers on guitars were still sort of a novel thing, so maybe the 1970s me would've looked at this guitar and thought the stickers made it cooler. I doubt it, but...

I agree with you on the stickers, and no way I'm dropping $20K for a guitar like this. But before Terry died, Chicago wasn't playing 'pap' (OK, maybe on rare occasions). Once Terry passed away, David Foster entered the picture and built the albums around Peter Cetera's ballads. The early albums have some phenomenal stuff on them. Terry was a great guitarist with a distinctive style and a singer with power and soul. The horn section of Walt, Jimmy and Lee was no joke. Check out some of the clips already posted in this thread.