New Custom shop tele now a DIY kit

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spooky, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

A few of you may remember i wanted a one off made. My local shop ordered it via email and faxes to Fender. I was kept up to date by the customs shop offering advice and asking if i wanted any changes made along the build.
    Got a call from the shop this morning saying it's arrived but there was a problem. I rushed to the shop asap only to be greeted with unhappy face's. They brought out the case with what looks like some had used it for chop axe practice and the velvet type lining slashed.They told me it had been inspected by customs though oh well it's only the case but no, Customs had totally wreaked the guitar. The fret board was half ripped off, electrics ripped out and 3 holes drilled in the back. You can even see where the drill bit had slipped. I was nearly crying seeing this gorgeous master piece in parts. I wanted a nice custom shop fender not a DIY kit. The Shop had emailed earlier Fender stating what had happened and their reply was that they were very sorry what had happened but pointed out they can not control what the customs have done but found it very suspicious this had been done as the export paperwork was filled in correctly and it was being sent to one of they authorised dealers. I do not blame Fender at all as once in the postal system they have no control. Fender offered to make another for me but i would be looking after Christmas now. The shop are now putting a claim though to the customs. I was really looking to play this Tele.:cry:

2. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is very strange!

3. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

That's what they thought. The shop has only had this happen once before many years again with the import of guitars from China.

4. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Can you find out why they did it or are your Govt agencies as "transparent"(add liberal dose of sarcasm) as ours?

5. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like another government "success" story.

6. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Trouble maker.
    You are now on the LIST.

7. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

bet they wont say but if they do it probably be reported of it being a suspicious item. All that was on the packing box along with the import papers was sticky tape and a label stating "inspected by HM revenue and customs"

I don't know weather to laugh or cry. I have been researching and trying different Tele guitars for months to find a perfect one for me and i was still stuck till i got some really good advice on here. Just seems a waste of 3 months now

8. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Why would customs drill holes in the guitar? Very odd tale...

9. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I don't understand?

"This item looks suspicious, let's drill holes in it and rip it apart"

10. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

Drugs ? i don't know. Just complete *******s. Thought these brilliant Xray machines they have would have told them it was a solid body and neck.

Never having been into drugs. Do a lot come to the UK from America ?

11. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Pics?? Just curious.

12. Rodrigging

Rodrigging Tele-Meister

Inspector was a Gretsch player.
    They're still smarting after the Broadcaster affair.

Seriously though, that sucks. If it were me I'd be going bats**t crazy waiting for the thing only to get the boot in the nuts when it finally arrived.

On the bright side you'll have a good story to tell when you finally get her and, in the big scheme of things you'll have her a lot longer than you had to wait for her.

13. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

UK Custom unbuilt. It'll never catch on...

14. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

No pictures as it never left the shop. I didn't even handle it as i wastoo upset.
    "UK Custom unbuilt. It'll never catch on..." Bit like my local garage, they can take it apart but haven't a clue how to put it back or why have they got a bucket load of bolts left over.
    One thing i must praise is Fender for the build up dates and the shop for offering me a 40% discount on goods for 6 months.

15. spooky

spooky TDPRI Member

Sod it am going to drown my sorrows at the local curry house and get my fill of vindaloo washed down with a good few pints of cobra larger.
    Start again tomorrow

16. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's the spirit!
    Just to be clear - is the government (revenues, inspection, postal) completely unaccountable for their actions? (Hey - you stole that from us!) IS no one responsible for your loss?
    Can they destroy whatever they want under the guise of national security? (Again- you owe us royalties on that)
    Trying to find some humor in what is seems like an Orwellian loss of privacy and individual rights.

17. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Aww fella, that's horrific and I really feel for you. The drill holes do sound like there checking for drugs of some kind. You would have thought with today's tech that measures such as that would be totally unnecessary. You must have some legal rights against this type of behaviour. I hope you get it all sorted pal.

18. Dr.StainedGlove

Dr.StainedGlove TDPRI Member

This makes my heart sink.. I think I need some vindaloo and beer as well.

good luck, and sorry for your loss.

19. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

20. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

That sucks. Surely a guitar being sent from Fender to a main dealer with all the relevant paperwork is pretty unlikely to be a drugs bust.
    Surely if HMRC tear apart something and screw up, they have to compensate.
    If I'd have read this earlier, I'd have had a vindaloo too in your honour!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.