New Custom MHP Day

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by milocj, May 27, 2015.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This is a bit belated because I wanted to have a little bit of time with it before posting, but I wanted to give a big shout out to Keith at Machine Head Pedals (11 Gauge here) for going the extra mile like he always does.

I started with a Raw which I really liked, but loaned to a friend who liked it and gigs regularly. Then I ordered 72 Degree and it goes anywhere I play that I'll need a pedal, which isn't a whole lot anymore due to some back problems.

Anyway, I was messing with the 72 Degree and realized that when I'm at home I use almost all settings on it depending on what I have to play. When I do get a chance to play out I end up bringing along my AC Booster and Lumpy's Lemon Drop so I don't have to mess with the 72 Degree a lot, though there is a range on it where I'm familiar enough that I can turn a couple of knobs between songs.

I had decided that having a second 72 Degree would be nice, but maybe something that was almost the same pedal that could overlap the areas I use most and go a bit beyond the end of the knobs would be even nice allowing me to almost have to identical pedals that cover a wider range between them so I could still have the tones I like even when I need a second pedal.

This is what ended up at the door after a few days of emailing...came out every bit as good as I could have hoped for. Thanks again, Keith.

Attached Files:

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Keith is a King. Enjoy the new pedal!

3. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Not to derail the thread already, but kind of related. What do you think of the Lemon Drop? I've got his Class A Overdrive with the added gain switch and really enjoy it. I keep looking at his Lemon Drop Mini.

4. milocj

Keith is great to work with. It makes me wonder how some small builders can get such a reputation so quickly with high priced stuff that's not really much different sounding from the "common" brands, then somebody like Keith flies under the radar with great stuff that does its own thing (without being something crazy) and nobody knows about Machine Head Pedals.

As for the Lemon Drop, I really like it, but for the stuff I play I definitely can't take full advantage of it. The tone control really takes it through a wide range of sounds that pretty much makes it sound like a couple of completely different pedals, instead of just rolling off highs. It works great with my old Fender amps. I've played it at home through my Vox with good results buy haven't gigged it through anything but a Fender. I have a Jelly Roll, too, and I don't know if Lumpy's made any changes to the circuit when they changed the name. There's a bit of overlap between the two, though you don't get the transformation as you go through the tone control like you do with the Lemon Drop.

I did a few Black Keys songs last year at a gig and the MHP 72 combined with the Lemon Drop worked great together for that type of sound.

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

That is cool. :cool:
    Congrats!

6. milocj

Thanks. I already love my 72 Degree and unless its attached to my board (like it usually is) it took over from my Xotic AC Booster as my "one pedal" grab and go for jamming with friends or if I need one at church to help the youth choir out.

Keith nailed exactly what I wanted for something higher on the scale with basically the same sound, while giving me enough overlap and still being able to use the whole dial. The clips of the 98.6 Degree sounded great and I almost ordered that, but I was nervous that it may not overlap enough with the 72 and that for the stuff I play I may not use the upper portion of the range.

7. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I love my 72 as well. One of these days I'm gonna order the 96 degrees.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.