1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New CTS Tone Pot Doesn't Change the Tone

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by cfender, Mar 1, 2021.

1. cfender

cfender Tele-Meister

I purchased a pre-wired harness with a 3 way Switch & (2) 250K Pots. I duplicated the wiring on the electronics that were removed, which also was consistent with the diagram supplied with the Tone Rider Hot Classic Pups that are being installed. (This is all being installed in a Squier Standard Tele.)

The Tone Pot has no sonic effect. I tested that Pot with a multimeter and it is showing 240K. I also tested the middle and outer connections and it looks like the resistance is varying depending on the rotation of the knob. (I tested the Pot disconnected from the circuit.)

Despite this testing, could the Pot still be bad.

Could my soldering work be the issue?

2. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A clear picture is worth 5000 words.

Billy3 and BelairPlayer like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Pot not grounded?

Despres and BelairPlayer like this.
  4. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

You’re going to have to include a picture. You’ve missed a connection, or you’ve unintentionally created a shot somewhere.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the tone cap is bad or wired incorrectly? A tone pot regulates how much of the signal goes through the tone cap to ground. Does your tone sound full treble like it's on 10, or full treble-cut like the tone control is on 1? I agree that a wiring connection is incorrect. It may be that the tone/cap circuit isn't connected in parallel to the volume circuit at all.

howardlo likes this.
  6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Is the other end of the cap soldered to a ground? The pot sounds fine.

This is part of the tonerider diagram make sure the circled part is actually grounded using you meter.
    upload_2021-3-1_18-8-30.png

Billy3 and AAT65 like this.
  7. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

So you took a pre wired harness and modified it, is that correct? Pic would help.

As for the last question, most definitely. But the pot sounds like it is working. What other changes did you make?

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Just to make the implied obvious for the OP: There's no such thing as a tone pot. Tone controls and volume controls use the same pots (though possibly of different values/tapers, for other reasons); a tone control just also makes use of a cap to effect the volume of frequencies above a certain point (determined by the cap's value).

So if a tone control isn't doing its thing, my first suspect would be the cap and/or the cap's connection to the pot.

9. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

That Tonerider drawing is an accident waiting to happen.
    Safer to wire the tone pot like this. No chance of heat damage to the pot and eliminates the possibility of the capacitor leg wired to the pot lug making contact with the case.

Tele_control_plate_basic02.jpg

10. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

Wow thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea what the OP was talking about when they said “tone pot,” even though it’s an incredibly common way to refer to the tone control...

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

And somehow your post does even less to help the OP cut his treble. I stand in awe of you.

12. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski Tele-Meister

I mean, you just repeated what’s already been said (besides the unnecessary fluff at the beginning); how much did you think you were helping?

13. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Regardless of what everyone has said. Check your wiring to your diagram. Make sure everything is in the right spot , 3 times. Then with your multimeter check for continuity between all conections. Btw your gounds don't have to be in any specific place as long as they are properly grounded. I usually ground a tone cap to the tone pot. To each his or her own. This usually solves the problem. If you don't have good continuity between two solder joints, resolder it. If any problem from there, might be a lot issue. Let us know. Lots off diagrams online for a simple ss 3 way. Hope this helps. Keep on pickin!!!

14. SixStringSlinger

Not much, but the internet has room for me, fluff and all.

I was just another voice calling attention to the cap and its connections, and explaining how I figure that. Maybe the OP already knew that, maybe not. Some kid may find this thread in a few years and benefit not only from the answer to the question, but the background information informing that answer, as well.

Teach a man to fish, and all that.

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If the cap is bad so it no longer has continuity through the cap to ground then you can turn the knob all you want and the sound won’t change. Test for continuity across the cap along with checking all connections.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.