New Country Music?

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I needed this thread - I am no country expert - I was born in LA in 1965 and would call myself a Topanga Canyon Cowboy - I love the Byrds, Burrito Brothers, Linda Rondstadt, Eagles, the Commander and NRPQ..........
For 2022's country music listeners to listen to ONLY those acts, from the 1970's, and acts like them, would like someone in the 1970's saying that only music from the 1920's is the valid form of the genre.

And BTW none of those acts mentioned are purely country, anyway. Country has always cross pollinated successfully with other genres

Last edited:

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
The late Steve Fromholz wrote this in 1976:

You try to put Nashville in a nutshell
It's a hard sell town where the dollar is the king
When you're broke and drunk and standing in the rain
Nobody really cares how well you pick and sing.

True then, true now. Nashville doesn't care what is or isn't real country, it cares about what sells.

mrbdxmpl

Tele-Holic
For 2022's country music listeners to listen to ONLY those acts, from the 1970's, and acts like them, would like someone in the 1970's saying that only music from the 1920's is the valid form of the genre.

And BTW none of those acts mentioned are purely country, anyway. Country has always cross pollinated successfully with other genres

Yes, I started by saying that I wasn't a country expert. My point wasn't that music never changes - it's that "Country as F" is offensive. Not because of the language, but because it is awful by any rubric you chose, and its release is nothing but pure cynicism on the part of the country music industry. Go ahead - defend that song - I dare you!

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Same as ever... You have to weed through the crap.

It's like none of Y'all ever gave Luke Combs, Jon Pardi, Cody Johnson or Chris Stapleton a listen.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
You might try out some Sturgill Simpson.
I was not really that familiar with Stugill Simpson until my wife made me take her to a concert. I was blown away by his guitar skills.
He is clearly a rocker at heart, but his songs are more aligned with "Outlaw Country" from the 70's.
Chris Stapleton is very similar to my ears. I'm a fan of both now.

Guitharley

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
There is lotsa great music out there today...people get so hung up on labeling it as this genre or that genre....find music you like and listen to it, simple....with the internet there are so many radio station options.

I have 5 or 6 favourite stations of different genres... some give me new stuff I dig and some play the old classics I grew up on and love...there is music for everyone out there just gotta go find it

Reactions: rod

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I went through every example that was posted here and, in my opinion, a few are good (Sierra, Jenny Drayton and Zephaniah) but a few others are the same old same old goofy, pop country to me. I'm sorry, but Cody Johnson is as bad a Luke Bryan to me. I know he's not but he sure sounds like it. No more trucks, no more island songs, no more beer songs. It's all the same but hell, even Waylon was talking about t all being the same back in the late 60's.

The best one that has been posted so far is Tyler Childers. He's not new to me, as I've been listening to him for several years, but he's head and shoulders above everyone that's been listed.

Then you have someone like Billy Strings, who is much more bluegrass but he's even beyond Tyler. Tyler is actually more of a bluegrass guy and not necessarily a country guy.

Some other good artists, that I like would be Sturgill Simpson, Whiskey Myers, The Steel Woods, Fifth on the Floor and Chris Stapleton. (I'd love to get more suggestions of artists like these vs the Randall Kings of the world.)

If you want to know who the best up and coming country artist is, it's.............Vincent Neil Emerson! Hands down to my ears. How this guy is not bigger yet, is beyond me. He's been at it for years and has opened for so many, but just like Whiskey Myers, just can't get the break. Listen to 7 Come 11, the first song on this:

All that being said, the best ever and still King must be: Waylon Jennings

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like this guy. Okay, the rodeo theme is sorta old hat, but the harmonica and lap steel interplay is cool. His vocal phrasing is something to pay attention to.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
This guy is a really fine writer:

Ry Cooder produced his first record. It and his second one are excellent. His third and latest is a pop record.

Jeremy Long plays tele and steel on the first two records. Excellent work.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
These last three examples sound like, one, Americana and ,two, just old. I guess that's what you guys like because maybe it reminds you of the so-called good 'ol days or something. I just don't see this kind of music being on the mainstream country charts ever again. People these days wants country music that is fun and hip and good to dance, drink and party to.

Maybe the best thing to do is to realize that you like a style of country that is now niche and just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about what type of country that most country music listeners like, and what sells and what's on the charts, and whoch artists win the awards.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
These last three examples sound like, one, Americana and ,two, just old. I guess that's what you guys like because maybe it reminds you of the so-called good 'ol days or something. I just don't see this kind of music being on the mainstream country charts ever again. People these days wants country music that is fun and hip and good to dance, drink and party to.

Maybe the best thing to do is to realize that you like a style of country that is now niche and just enjoy it for what it is and don't worry about what type of country that most country music listeners like, and what sells and what's on the charts, and whoch artists win the awards.
I'm sure we're all grateful for your advice.