1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Coronados - A Few Missed Key Details

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PJ55, Nov 4, 2013.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Having owned a nice red Fender Coronado in the late '60s, I was anxious to see the new MIC reissues of those guitars. I'm a little disappointed in a few missed design elements with the new guitars. I haven't played one, so I can only talk to the aesthetics, but here are four or five things that Fender should address with their Chinese vendor:
    1) Neckplate should be '70s F, not 50s-style to match the headstock logo
    2) Knobs should be Mustang (Ric) type, not amp knobs
    3) Tuners should be late 60s-70s F-tuners
    4) Pickguards should be metallic gold, not black
    5) Tailpiece should have white inset plastic "F"
    I realize these are small points, but when you reissue a guitar as unique as the Coronado, I think they should have stayed a little closer to the original. Especially in the $700 street-price point. I'll wait and see if any changes are made before allocating NG-CASH to the Coronados. A nice effort by Fender, but too many cut corners for my taste.

2. D in Conduct

D in Conduct Tele-Meister

I guess Fender wants to sell to players who want a humbucker-equipped semi-hollow body guitar, not somebody who really wants a Coronado.

I'm sure there are more of the former than the latter.

3. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Are the new Coronados humbucker equipped?

I don't think the originals were if I remember right.........JH in Va.

4. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think the new Coronado is meant to be a strict reissue at all. Wasn't the original a true hollowbody? The new one is semihollow. The original had DeArmond pickups while the new one features the same Fidelitrons used in the Cabronitas... both very desirable changes, in my eyes. I started out being excited by the new Starcasters, but I'm more intrigued by the Coronados the more I look at them.

While both guitars had their fans, neither actually sold well in their day. Changes like these might actually make them more viable today.

5. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

I agree with the above, it was never meant to be a reissue, but rather a "vintage modern" style design, just like the VM Jazzmasters and such. The biggest letdown for me was the pickups. I love those old DeArmonds!

6. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes....the original Coronados had single-coils. The new models have humbuckers. I'm OK with that, I suppose. Although, the pickups in my '67 Coronado were terrific. Actually, it was a great guitar that I always regretted selling. Maybe I'll find an old one somewhere.

7. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

This is the first I've heard of the Coronado reissue but it does sound a bit disappointing. They could have at least put pickups on it that were something like the original DeArmonds.

8. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

I own an original and love that its a fully hollow body... it sounds so lively! Love the old DeArmonds too!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.