New Classic vibe lineup is missing....

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TeleToneTony, Apr 19, 2020.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

have a bunch o guitars.. play these 3 so much... sometimes i take one over to an expensive guitar ,,put em side by side..look at em...darn clse in fit & finish..then play the same licks back n forth...i choose these quite a bit ... i dont want it to be true.but it is..they are as good as my others & truly inspiring
    just did a session with the Mustang..got it for $80..recorded fantastic..in fact just the sound was looking for in this song
    Duo sofa.jpg JazzM out (2).jpg Friends 1960 must (2).jpg

2. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

I disagree so much.

I have an Esquire, played 2 MII Esquires in my local store, and have played a handful of MII Teles.

No neck issues on any of them aside from minor fret sprout which, given the atmospheric change between Indonesia and where I live, I can't be too mad.

FYI - for those with a CV BSB Tele, please reply to me with pics so I can see some eye candy

Fendereedo and Believer like this.
  3. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

Here’s a couple of the body of my CV BSB MII. Don’t have many pics of it yet. It punches well above it’s weight. DBED251E-7586-46D1-8FF9-D14CC22497AC.jpeg 6F0A1B0D-569A-448C-9D07-14778FEDD807.jpeg

Fendereedo, Iago and guitarist232345 like this.
  4. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

The Esquire on the left was made in Indonesia and imported from Andertons in Great Britain.

Zero issues, my first Squier period and it certainly opened my eyes! The only non stock part is the pickguard.

Don’t take my word for, there’s a multiple threads/posts commenting on the quality (not lack there of) coming from Indonesia.

upload_2020-4-22_21-11-8.jpeg

5. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I don’t care where it’s made, but if I bought an older one, how could I tell if it has the Toneriders in it? Or should I even care about that?

jh

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Is there some problem with guitars manufactured in Indonesia that I'm supposed to know about?

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

This is an old and tired argument. Nothing worthwhile to see here. MIC and MII CVs are all excellent guitars. Now, instead of wasting so much time arguing about gear and looking at S**t online, go play your guitars. You might have fun, and it might actuallly make you a better player too.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Fendereedo and gkterry like this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

No You are incorrect. Chinese Necks are toothpicks.
    Indonesia is where it’s at.

Fendereedo and Charlodius like this.
  9. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

The neck on my indo BSB is killer!

Fendereedo and Believer like this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think so... I love my Chinese Squiers and Fenders (Like the older CV 50s, CV 60s, CV Thinline, Comporary Series tele and my Fender Modern players) every bit as much as my Indonesian Fenders (my Squier standard tele, and pretty much every VM model after 2012 and even a few earlier ones).

Some people hear a difference if they change a Squier decal to a Fender one, some hear differences between two guitars in a blindfold test even if it the same guitar being payed twice. Some people think a guitar is not as good as another, just because they think it should be, making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Some people convince themselves that the country of origin makes one guitar better than another. I'm convinced that workmanship and Quality Control is the key.

This doesn't mean that there are no "lemons" in every batch. If QC is worse, so is the overall quality of the batch of guitars. Personally, I have never found any indication for a different build quality difference between Chinese and Indonesian Squiers (Cort-made that is) that are sold at similar price levels (like the CV and VM models were).
    I did get a Indonesian Samick-made esquire this year, which is waiting for a new nut after this "lockdown" period ends. The factory-installed nut makes it completely unplayable. Then again, I might have gotten the "lemon" of this batch, but will make me more suspicious and might even keep me from buying another Samick-made guitar in the future.

As far as I know (I could be wrong), at least part of the Affinity and CV 50s teles production moved from China to Indonesia, and now back again to China. The CV 70s teles are still made by Cort in Indonesia. Again, as far as I know, based on what I see, based on NGD-posts on sites, and so on.

Fendereedo, RomanS and mimmo like this.
  11. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I own ONE Chinese Squier, the 1960’s one with the binding.
    It’s a toothpick neck-wise, but very attractive and yes seldom played...

12. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

They're missing more colors for the 50's CV Tele and a regular 60's Tele (not Custom) in a few different colors too.

13. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

+1 My Indonesian made Bullet telecaster is absolutely terrific. I kept it and traded the CV 50s and 60s made in China.

14. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I had a Chinese CV Tele and I now have an Indonesian CV Jazzmaster and I have to say, the Jazzmaster slightly edged out the Tele. I’m not saying it’s way better, and I’m talking about two example guitars out of thousands made, but no issues with the Indonesian guitar for me. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. TeleToneTony

TeleToneTony TDPRI Member

I've yet to play one with a perfectly straight neck, level frets and no fretting out on bends. Don't have this problem with any of my other guitars. Bought a new 70's strat from Sweetwater it had the screws that hold in the tremolo on an angle instead of straight so I could loosen them to float the bridge and still be able to put the cover back on. Then I tried a newCV 60's Tele and no matter how I tweaked it it would fret out around the 14th fret and up on big bends. Not terrible but could not get a clean note. In addition the new tele was made from Nato wood not alder even the pickups were changed.I'm not a gear snob and don't care where it's made just stating my experience since the new lineup.
    Maybe I just had real bad luck with this..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  16. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I have a new (Indonesian) esquire that is completely unplayable. But that's not a China vs Indonesia issue...

I find this Samick-made esquire (from Indonesia) below ANY Squier I have my in my collection (40+), while the Cort-made teles (like the now defunct VM-series and new CV 70s teles) are on the same level as far as I'm concerned as the previous Chinese series of Classic Vibes.
    The newer CV 50s and 60s were - correct me if I'm wrong - Samick made, not by Cort.

QC on the Samick production lines is what causes a bad reputation for "Indonesian" guitars, IMHO.

I don't think Fender has any Fender-branded guitars now being made in China (after they stopped the Modern Player series), but they have several mid-range guitars made in Indonesia that are Fender-branded, and as far as I know they are all Cort-made, just like the models I mentioned earlier.

17. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Out of curiosity, replacement neck or just incognito'd? I dig the body color and TBH really dig the non-/unbranding!

18. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I ordered a BSB 50’s CV tele (couldn’t find one locally) and they sent me a WB by mistake. The WB one was absolutely flawless, I was hesitant to send it back it was so good. I ended up sending it back because I really wanted a black guard BSB tele. Same deal, I truly can’t find an issue with it other than I had to ground the pickguard because I was getting static. Beyond 10 min of initial setup it really is a good guitar. AFAIK, that’s the only two Indo Samick Tele’s I’ve played and they left a great impression. Maybe the QC is just really hit or miss and I’ve gotten extremely lucky but I’d say most of the reviews I see online are positive.

19. TeleToneTony

TeleToneTony TDPRI Member

Fender is still making the CV 50's tele in China or has been up till now. Sadly for me I want a stock MIC 60's Custom and none to be found on ebay or reverb I check everyday and seems nobody is selling..

20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

There was a short while that three models: CV 50s, CV 60s (the formerCVC), and the CV 60s thinine (I prefer to call that a '69 Thinline) were produced in Indonesia... Even the fender-website definitely has pictures of these Samick-made versions from Indonesia.

Several new NGD-posts from the last year or so prove that this is true as well. A while later, however, people started posting NGD-pictures of CV 50s made in China - again - but now with a different type of serial than before. (No longer CGS, but CGRI or CGRJ, I believe) These later ones, however don't have the Tonerider (or Tonerider-alike) pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.