1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New classic McIntosh pre/power amps for the well heeled audiophile

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Aug 7, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's time for a P.T. Barnum quote.:twisted:

3. ping-ping-clicka

most of the time I listen to music it's kind of ambiance-induct-function, you some mood music Son House , Bach, Frank Zappa Frank Sinatra all rollin' along in the back ground, sweetening' up the whole mix and mood.
    Which is to say if sat down and listened , really listened ,just beamed in on Beethoven #3 symphony at symphonic volumes, The Clock Work Orange Sound track or Kieth Jarrets live Koln Concert improvisations then I could see if I had the extra scratch it would be worth it to me but It's like having a Dino Ferrari in the garage and only riding my bike or taking the bus.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

But in reverse. Pushing the state of the art lead to electricity, moon landings, internet. Barnum's "science" lead to marketing..

tubegeek and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

Nah, nah nah, I ain't disin' high end, I dig high end. I was in best-buy one day and was staring at this beautiful Macintosh amp and asked the sale person could I listen to this for a minute , ...
    sure ...
    then it was heavenly angels and devil horns turning the air to molten golden pleasure. aaauhhhh.;)
    how for the amp and the speakers, ....:rolleyes:
    a little bit less than the annual military budget. :cry:

LPBlue likes this.
  6. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

I am the kid who grew up in a house with McIntosh components and TOTL Klipsch speakers. Today I still have TOTL Klipsch (full RF-7 surround) but with Arcam gear and no Mac yet. Never say never!

DougM likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard of audiophiles paying up to 100,00 pounds for tube/ valve amps alone - nice amp.
    Next you have to have speakers that do it justice.

DougM likes this.
  8. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

I have a Kenwood KA-7100 and was using it last year for awhile. Now I'm using a Kenwood KA-601 but will start using my Kenwood KA-7300 shortly. I try to rotate them and keep the controls/pots working good. Also switch between Advent Smaller speakers and Dynaco speakers.

My 7100 needs to have the caps refreshed/changes.

9. chet again

I always thought that the point of high end fidelity in stereo systems was to reproduce the sound to simulate live performances.

DougM likes this.
  10. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

I have two Altec Model 19 speakers, each about the size of a washing machine but, only one McIntosh MC60 mono block. I also have two homebrew EL34 based Williamson (Stancor trannies) mono blocks that were combined onto one chassis by the original builder (I harvested the four xf2's for guitar duty). The builder shelved this amp when solid state came along then he un-shelved to me in the early 2000's. Alas I have need of a pre-amp to hook up my turntable (nothing special, Pioneer), cassette deck CD player, etc.
    As as alternative I still have a Kenwood 60 watt stereo integrated amp that drives the speakers quite nicely.
    The main items I "need" are:
    1. another MC60
    2. a good pre-amp
    3. a modest house or at least a room larger than 12' x 12' to put all my stuff in.
    Of course I could buy all those items if I would stop buying various instruments and accessories.
    Donations accepted!:D

DougM, JeffBlue and SuprHtr like this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

If that's what's on the recording.

12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a vintage tube audio system. Years ago I ran across a deal on a Fisher 500C. Then later came across a deal on a pair of Altec Bolero 890Cs. Excellent. I recently discovered that the Fisher receiver has a center channel that I am using for a combined center channel and a passive subwoofer.

I had taken a Bose 501 Series IV and removed the non-functioning tweeters, cut another hole for another 10 inch woofer and wired the speaker in parallel with the other woofer. I connected the speaker to the center channel. I also have a homebuilt two way speaker in the center of the Altecs to fill in the gap in the middle. My small room isn't that great for speaker imaging. Sounds amazing.

DougM likes this.
  13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

I have a Fisher 500C i paid 2 dollars for at a garage sale . Radio tuner is broken but Phono and Aux work fine. The Power tubes are in the back.
    [​IMG]

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I loaned my last 7100 to someone I thought was a friend, to use until he got an amp, and he wouldn't give it back to me, the thief! Some friend! I hope it blew up on him, or destroyed his speakers with DC, since there's no coupling caps on the output! I know it needed to be re-capped too.

15. DougM

There's nothing shoddy about Arcam. My Alpha 7 CD player is 20 years old and still works as well as it did on day one, and I'm still regretting selling my matching Alpha 7 amp.

16. DougM

One of the all time classics!

JeffBlue likes this.
  17. chet again

Unless the person recording it is dead then it has to be the case.

18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Some recordings are nothing like a live performance at all. If the equipment makes that recording sound more like a live performance, then it is coloring the sound and isn't high fidelity.

Blrfl likes this.
  19. chet again

About 15 years ago I had the best stereo power amp Kenwood ever made which is the 700M. I used the preamp from one of my other Kenwoods. I really couldn't hear any great improvement in the sound of my records etc.

One factor you have to take is that us older guys have a little hearing loss anyway from the job situations we had to be in during our lives.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I gotcha. There are fake high end poser products though. I default to skeptic mode, and it takes a lot to bring me around when claims and dollars are involved. I still look at McIntosh stuff, but I'll be happy with my silver face gear made in Japan. Its served me for 40 years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.