1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New "Clapton" album drops tomorrow...who's in ?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JohnK24, Sep 27, 2010.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Final thought and perhaps my last post on the tele page - if Eric Clapton is a "polarizing" figure and this thread my get locked or pulled...well, I guess I'll spend my limited free time else where.

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Don't take it to heart, JohnK24. It happens on almost every thread that even mentions EC in some way. The slaggers jump on him faster than you can imagine. They call it the 'tall poppy syndrome' here - in other words, people tend to put down those others who they see as being better than themselves.

As someone else has said, it'd be interesting to compare the discographies of these folk against the vast body of work that EC has put out over the years.

Don't let the negative heads put you off this forum. They lurk everywhere, just wish they'd go somewhere else sometimes.........

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

The late great Elmore James did It Hurts Me Too. In my opinion his great playing was only exceeded by his intense vocals.

But Hound Dog Taylor is intense as well.

Enjoy them both.

4. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Tele-Holic

You take that back! My dad looks like Eric Clapton.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

BECAUSE Eric Clapton has been brilliant in the past is the main reason people bag on him.

We want to hear more brilliance.

Look at my post up above. Constructive ways he could be more vital. IMNSHO.

If he had sucked his entire career I wouldn't care.

I happen to think "The Core" is one of the best songs from the 70's and would love to hear him do something w/ that immediacy and drive again.

Remember :

It's a discussion forum.

How can you take personally (to the point of threatening not to post or frequent here again) people's opinion on a musician ?

And - opinions are opinions - everyone's entitled to theirs.

Things are too black and white these days. Like anything the guy puts out is very worthwhile and great.

I love Jeff Beck and see him as often as I can but I also roll my eyes sometimes when he continues to play some of the lesser fusion stuff from "There And Back" or some tedious version of something or other.

Still love him (and he and Clapton together - he lights a fire under Eric) but I just haven't drunk any kool-aid so I see the "grey" in life/art - not just the "black"and the "white".

6. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

I think he is pretty good personally. Seen him live and I can safely say he really comes alive in that environment. He can still play rings around alot of younger guys.

I wouldn't call the album bad, so much as it is safe. But hey, its his choice what he wants to record. I think he has achieved enough in his life to take it easy. Good on him.

7. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    On a guitar forum people like Clapton and bands like the Eagles are the equivalent of baseball teams like the NY Yankees and baseball player A-Rod on a Baseball forum. Super popular teams (or bands) and super popular ball players (or guitar players) that everyone has an opinion on.

There are always folks that love 'em and folks that hate 'em.

On those baseball forums whenever anyone posts anything at all about the Yankees or A-Rod there are always a few trolls that have to jump into the thread to "just express their opinion" and the end result is everyone clears the benches and a fight breaks out.

Trolls are not content with bypassing a thread on a player they don't like. They have to jump in and call him names in front of the faithful. In short they have to start a fight.
    But they always say, "Hey, I'm just expressing my opinion like everyone else."

Now I don't know how the baseball forums handle it, but here, we shut down fights and fighters.

8. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I haven't heard the new album, but this review seems pretty consistant with all his albums since the late 70's to me. I don't expect a masterpiece. I will wait to hear it before purchasing though.

Jim

9. StephenX

StephenX Banned

As well you should. Clapton was an idol to me at 18-20 and I loved his playing. As I got older I found other brilliant guitarists that took his place and I lost touch with his music. The newer things I've heard aren't so bad, but I could never find a reason to trash him even if they were. Thats just a crass and blase thing to do.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow.

I actually think - no, I know I have a more realistic view on the guy than the "EC can do no wrong" crowd and expressed it in that way.

But - at the end of the day, I'm now very curious to hear the record so I'll have to get it and in that way - you've succeeded.

11. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

12. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I plan on purchasing the CD along with JCM's new one.

13. jakeof75

jakeof75 TDPRI Member

i think EC deserves all of our respect. people want to talk about his same old bluesy licks, but how many of us have stolen those same licks. no one is original and we're all derivative of someone else. the man is a legend and i don't think he has anything to prove at this point in his career. EC helped bring blues to people that may have otherwise not heard it.
    i, for one, don't like everything he's ever done, but c'mon... this is the guy that put out Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. he has written some of the greatest must-know riffs for guitarists.
    thank you Mr. Clapton. you have my eternal gratitude.

14. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Don't you know we're ridin' with King
    Don't you know we're ridin' with King
    You're ridin' with me Eric, you're in good hands
    You're ridin' with the blues
    Don't you know you're ridin' with King
    Yes yes you're ridin' with the King
    I wanted to say B.B. King but you know King

15. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

I bought this album (Riding with the King) the week it came out and never listened to it. :oops:

Every so often I see it in my CD collection but I never reach for it. I'm not a fan of BB King.

You have now pushed my curiosity to actually go home tonight and give it a listen. :)

...and "not great" Clapton is often alot better than anything on the radio today so I'll probably grab the new disc too.

16. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

I think it would be cool if Clapton did a new Cream album...not a tour,just an album with new material (if everyone could get along).It would be interesting to see what kind of stuff would come out.
    Or,at least a trio setting of some sort.

17. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

My favorite Clapton song is Promises. Clapton always "promises" to deliver!!

He is magic. Who likes that song..."You look nicely tonight" I like that one too. He is the worlds finest bluesman! (except for maybe Thomas McRocklin)

18. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

OK. So I got the album yesterday and have now listened to it about 4 times. It is a very good record - much better than I had hoped for after only hearing a couple of previews on the internet.

If you listen to the whole album it has a very good range of material from the heavier blues songs to the old standards, all done in EC's style. I particularly like 'Autumn Leaves' which is one of the tracks I thought I'd skip over when I first heard the previews.

There is a definite return to a more soul/R&B-based type of song in some of the originals. I think this is coming from his work with Doyle Bramhall II.

His singing in particular has lost a bit of the harshness that it sometimes had (I thought that he forced his voice too hard on a couple of the tracks on 'From the Cradle' for example) and it is now a very mature vocal tone that he has.

Overall, it's certainly not in the style of a Bluesbreaker or Cream album, nor is it 461 Ocean Boulevard or Slowhand revisited. Instead it's a more mature person's album and the more I listen to it, the more I find that it could become one of my favourite albums of his. Definitely much better than 'Back Home' or even 'Reptile'.

I'd rate it alongside 'Journeyman' in terms of overall quality.

Whether anyone else likes it or not, is entirely up to them and I'm not forcing anyone to agree or disagree with me. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this, given that it seems to 'Bash a Clapton Week' here!!!

Incidentally, since that other thread on what he has done has been locked now before I got the chance to add my 2c worth, I'd just like to add my vote for him bringing the Les Paul and Marshall sound to the world, along with the new way of playing at gig volume in the studio (which no-one had ever done before the Beano album), the 'woman' tone, being part of possibly the first 'heavy rock' band, making the strat a cool instrument to play when everyone else was playing Gibsons, introducing several generations of the general public to the blues.

Oh, and finally, wearing Armani suits and making slightly silly haircuts look cool.....!!!

Apart from these things, I don't suppose he's really done all that much.......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.