1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New "Clapton" album drops tomorrow...who's in ?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JohnK24, Sep 27, 2010.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Here's a streaming preview of the album:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/thelife/music/news/story?id=5597179

After a couple of listens, I like it, a lot really. I've been an EC fan for a good 30 years, only a few "misses" in his catalog, imho. Mature, bluesy and well played with a list of talented guest players. I'll be at BestBuy tomorrow morning (also grabbing Iron Man 2 ).

J

2. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

I've had my copy since Saturday thanks to Amazon. I've listened to it four of five times and I still haven't made up my mind about it. It's very gentle and relaxed, almost easy listening in places. Not much guitar to get excited about, the solos are very tasteful but nothing made me sit up and take notice. The most surprising thing about it is Clapton playing a mandolin on one track (doing a good job of it too). Hopefully it's one that will grow on me with more listens.

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

iTunes is offering one of the tracks, "Run Back to Your Side", for free, though I think it ends tomorrow (Tuesday 9/28) when they offer a new batch of songs.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm in for the bashing !

When's that start ? [​IMG]

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the link JohnK24-gives me something interesting to listen to while I read. :cool:

6. BigMike

BigMike Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It is available on Spotify for FREE if you want to check it out in full before purchasing...

http://www.spotify.com

P.S. I have no connection with Spotify, just think it's great if you want to check out millions of albums for free...

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Based on my first impression, there are only three GREAT songs on this album. The rest are just OK - except for one which is awful!

The new album confirms that Clapton is a very uneven songwriter, and the best ones are jazz standards like "Autumn Leaves" (Joseph Kosma/Johnny Mercer) and "Rocking Chair" (Hoagy Carmichael) - both very well done. The only real strong original song is "Diamonds Made From Rain" which features some great guitar playing from Mr.Clapton.

Which is the awful one? Well, personally I wouldn't open an album with a song like "Travelin' Alone" :oops: ...

8. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Clapton should have retired long ago, he is overrated as a guitarist and here he sounds like a poor mans JJ Cale, even murders one of his songs on this album.

Have you ever seen old clappers play anything but boring blues scaley stuff?
    I know from the start of his songs what hes about to play.

Sorry but he is BORING.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I'll be getting it as soon as the album appears in NZ. I've heard some of the tracks and think it's in the vein of Reptile or Back Home rather than one of his standout albums but I like the way he tackles some of the old standards and adds his own touch to them.

He started doing this many years ago with Chaplin's 'Smile' which he played live in the 70's and did a really good job of Ray Charles' 'Hard Times' on the Journeyman album.

I think it's interesting that he goes back to these songs as these were the ones that I had to listen to when I was a kid and had no option but to listen to my parent's choice of music instead of rock'n'roll. I used to detest these songs as I thought it was old farts' music but as I get older I can appreciate them for what they are - good songs.

It may not be for everyone but then, if they don't like it, they don't have to buy it - or post negative comments about the album or EC on the internet.........

If you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all. Good motto to live life by.

10. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Clapton is indeed boring. I do not understand the hold he has over so many people.:confused:

Jeff Beck - Rocky Road
    Jimmy Page - Caramel Swirl with Almonds
    Eric Clapton - Fat Free Walmart Brand Vanilla With Aspartame.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

He needs to get away from sidemen/producers his own age.

W/ the exception of Doyle Bramhall (a pale version of his very great father) and Derek Trucks (genius) - he's been surrounded by too many old geezers.

Look at Beck and McCartney - both currently have great bands and are generally playing w/ folks younger than them.

It makes a difference.

If I took Clapton into the studio, if he could swallow his ego he would walk out w/ something at least slightly fresh and there wouldn't be Strat w/in reach the entire session.

He needs to be taken out of his comfort zone to make art (or at least something approaching art).

Look at Mavis Staples, her band w/ Rick Holmstrom blazing away, and her new, great album produced by Jeff Tweedy.

Lady is 71 and she takes chances.

Clapton could not follow them on stage. Not w/ anything fresh or vital that's for damn sure.

12. Del Pickup

Here we go again.

Same old, same old comparisons to so-and-so who's head and shoulders above someone else.

When will people get the fact that music is about personal choice. If you don't rate Clapton that's fine. Go listen to something else. But do something constructive instead of wasting time posting negative comments here (or anywhere else).

13. elihu

My favorite Youtube vid of all time was one of a shirtless, slightly inebriated Clapton singing Smile on a bus somewhere in the 1970's. Shame it was taken off because he sounded great. You could tell he's just a big music fan. I can't help but feel that if I could post it, it might help bring some of the naysayers around. We likely have a lot more in common with him than we think...

...the fan part, not the inebriated part. :lol:

14. Del Pickup

I don't think there's any doubt that, first and foremost, he's just like anyone else here - a music fan - and he's in the fortunate position of being able to pay homage to the artists he admires by recording his own versions of what he regards as classics - whether that's old standard like 'Smile' or any of his blues heroes.

15. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

I wish I could delete this thread. Sorry to see such negative posts about an icon of blues, rock and guitar playing.

Oh and some of you have a HUGELY inflated sense of self worth and abilities...can you please direct me to your record catalog, I'd love to listen to your works ?!

16. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't feel bad about it - this happens every time someone makes a thread about Clapton or The Eagles or Roy B..... All of which belong to my biggest and longest lasting favorites. Not that I don't see their weak points, but all of them have given me so much musical pleasure that some negative posters mean diddley-squat.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Gents,

some posts have been removed. Remember, even if you are 'just having fun' writing something disrespectful and adding an emoticon isn't gonna cut it.

I was doing something fairly fun when this thread got reported and here I am cleaning up nonsense... c'mon fellers, were better than this!

johnk24, EC is a polarizing figure, this thread may or may not survive.... but, it will get lots of posts...

btw, I had a chance in the early 80's to sit with JJ Cale at his home and talk with him. He was highly complimentary of Clapton and was grateful for the money that Clapton had helped him make that helped make his life a little easier.

and now, I will post a song about Clapton and a cool version it is too...

18. elihu

I remember his interview in GP where J.J. commented on that very thing. He was so happy he went out and bought a Chevrolet. It's the little things...like a dependable vehicle.

My cool Clapton vid with him singing my favorite co-dependent love song...
    It's a trick for me to just stand and play slide.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  19. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

[​IMG] [​IMG]

G. E. Smith / Clapton ............... same hair styles. doh!

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Well I tend to find Claptop a bit boring too from the late 70's onwards BUT those two vids were great.

I really like Sheryl Crow so enjoyed that and "It Hurts Me" was fantastic! Was that a Hound Dog Taylor number or a blues "standard"?

I LOVE Hound Dog Taylor :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.