new champ '57 learning curve

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vishnu, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Got a new '57 today off a guy and i don't think it has been used at all ...even to break in the speaker.

Here is my observations and perhaps some of you would be kind enough to put me right :)

I don't know if the following is par for the course,here goes....

Q1 the amp starts to overdrive/distort at 4 on the volume with a Les Paul...that about right?

Q2 input 2 is less bass heavy and a little quieter and hollow sounding, but nice all the same :)

Q3 The key to a good tone is rolling off the treble somewhat on the guitar and volume too
    ( in input one it can be a little sharp sounding but i don't know if that is down to new speaker)
    BTW the pre amp tube is a 12aX7

Q4 If i put a more efficient speaker in there, say a Jupiter 25 8sc, would the onset of distortion/OD be
    later, it would not break up so early like 4 on the volume knob?

Thanks guys :)

2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

They break up fast.
    Q3: not always, really depends on the guitar. I find a bigger key is rolling the volume back.
    The jupiter isnt what id consider efficient at 94.5 db
    You may want to try a 12ay7

3. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Q3,

focus more on running the amp hot and rolling the volume back.

bumnote likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

These were shipped with a 12AY7 in V1. That's so they break up later, play nice with pedals and don't get sloppy with the volume control pinned.

Fender tapped Weber VST for their speakers. Your amp should have a speaker labeled "Designed for Fender by Ted Weber". It's a slug magnet Weber Sig, perfectly matched to that amp.

ce24 likes this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A1 Yup. Turn the amp to 5~6 and turn your guitar down. Want to wail it?, turn your guitar back up, or with an LP, set the relative pickup volumes and tones and flip the selector to suit.
    A2 :)
    A3 Depends. Trial and error to find what suits what guitar. Run the amp hot, dial the guitar back. They sound sublime.
    A4 No. The breakup is the amplifier. A more efficient speaker would get to the same dB at a lower level on the volume knob, with less breakup, but '4' would still sound like '4', only louder.

As for valves, the 12AX7 may be a bit much for you. The 5751 is very good, as is a 12AY7. The 5751 has lower gain, the 12AY7 even less so. I've tried a 12AT7 and a 12AU7 as the pre-amp valve in my Champ-a-like, and found them to be boringly flaccid.
    The JJ 5751 is quite good, and the Sovtek/E-H 12AY7 is very good if you don't fancy taking a risk on ANOS/NOS.

You play a Champ perhaps more than other amplifiers. Learning the foibles of your amp is half the fun. The sounds they make when you get it right is the reward.

stefanhotrod and ce24 like this.
  6. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Is that like saying with the Jupiter 25 watt in place "3" will be like the old speaker "4" on the volume knob?

7. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

When did the run of RI champs start?

and is anyone able to date this? AB027973

Thanks a lot guys :)

8. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Hmmmm I wonder what Julian Lage has for toobs in his champ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    regal2 likes this.
  9. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

thanks guys :)

10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

It all depends on your personal taste. Tweed champs overdrive early, @ 4 sounds pretty normal to me, especially with a Humbucker.
    As suggested before, try a 5752 or 12AY7 in V1 and find your own sweet spot fiddling with amp volume/guitar volume. Use a good quality tube, preferably NOS.

The typical speaker for tweedies is an Alnico speaker, but maybe you‘ll be happy with a „cleaner“ ceramic type? Try the darn cheap Warehouse G8C, it’s a fantastic loud and wonderful sounding 8“ speaker, maybe the best choice for black-/Silverface champs. Why not n a tweed champ too?

Concerning Julian Lage: he‘s a master of virtuose controlled dynamic playing and he‘s able to do everything between crystal clear and dirty tweed overdrive just depending on his pick attack. And he‘s playing low wound single coils...Dunno what tubes he‘s using but I‘d bet there are NOS tubes in his Champ.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM
  11. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Ta much ;)

12. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

One thing i do know about him is he advocates not turning them up past 4.

13. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

I'm soaking all this up, as I just ordered a 5F1 kit. Can't wait!

14. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

I was having a good look at the Jupiter and like what i see......

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Use the Les Paul in input 2 for more headroom.

Yes they start to break up on 4-5 on the volume depending on guitar. Running them on 6-7 then rolling back guitar volume results in nice singing sustain.

The Weber being straight cone is a bit sqwawky new but smooths out on breakin.

They sound great micced through a PA or on recordings.

16. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

I’m running a Tone Tubby Humboldt (Alnico) in my @muchxs Champ and it’s sonically superb. My favorite amp right now. Input one for single coils and two for hums. Volume setting depends on mood and inspiration, exploring those being part of the magic of the Champ and how it acts as a conduit between mind and speaker. Pedals optional, but often use a Hall of Fame spring and a Tidewater tremolo mini. Enjoy.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  17. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the HOF

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

What- what?!

They go up to "12"! I figure they're best at 11 1/2.

19. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Only the ones that have been "massaged" sound good at those levels imo.

20. regal2

regal2 NEW MEMBER!

I tried the jupiter 8" speaker in a swart 5 watt amp, and preferred the weber. The Jupiter kind of made it too polite? I know all the hype with Jupiters and was hoping to love it, but preferred the Weber. Jupiter was nice, cleaner, louder, but missed some of the voodoo of the Weber. I like the 12ay7 in the amp,especially with Gibsons. Have a RCA Command series 5751 laying around, might have to try it out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.