New (Ch)amp day!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by wildbill59, Sep 15, 2020.

1. wildbill59

wildbill59 Tele-Meister

Just picked this little guy up today - according to the serial # - A828728 - it's a 1976. I'm really pleased with how clean and original it seems to be (not bragging - I didn't have anything to do with that, I just got lucky enough to find it on Facebook) - looks like original tubes, speaker, tube chart (a little corner was ripped off, but it was still in the bottom of the cab!), cord, even that red Fender cord tag - never seen one of those before! Also, no rips or tears in the Tolex, and probably one of the cleanest faceplates I've ever seen on a used silverface. For the little bit that I got to use it, it sounded great with no noise or issues. Looking forward to dropping the chassis and checking out the guts, I'm hoping it's as clean and original under there as it is externally. Something weird that I noticed - it looks like there's electricians tape wrapped around the base of the tubes - what's up with that?! Some kind of cobbled-up tube retainer? Misguided noise suppressor? Never seen such a thing, it's coming off tomorrow. Also, since it has a factory three-prong cord - no death cap? Most of the tube amps that I've messed with were older two=prong style, thus having death caps and polarity switches. Can't wait to crank this little guy up! upload_2020-9-15_21-17-20.png upload_2020-9-15_21-17-53.png upload_2020-9-15_21-19-21.png upload_2020-9-15_21-20-13.png upload_2020-9-15_21-21-3.png upload_2020-9-15_21-21-49.png

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    old soul, tah1962, RadioFM74 and 14 others like this.
  2. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! Congrats!

A minor detail, but I believe with a 6 digit serial number, where 8 is the first number, you're actually looking at a 1978 Champ. Though the transformer might be a better indicator.

wildbill59 likes this.
  3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Nice score. From time to time the glass portion of a tube can come loose from the base and still be connected - be careful pulling those taped up tubes, maybe that's what's happened to them.

A little epoxy should hold them together again if that's the problem. I can't think of any other reason to wrap a tube with tape.

theprofessor and wildbill59 like this.
  4. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very clean. Enjoy.

wildbill59 likes this.
  5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    The first thing I'd do is gut it and install a modelling amp chassis...

...oh, and Bluetooth...

~EMOJI - a Laugh w Tears.JPG

`

Theorage, stevemc, old soul and 2 others like this.
  6. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

HNAD, Congrats

wildbill59 likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Very nice! Congratulations. I too have a 78.

wildbill59 likes this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Lovely little amp, congrats!

wildbill59 likes this.
  9. wildbill59

wildbill59 Tele-Meister

:lol: I'm going full cordless wi-fi with this one...

stevemc and AxemanVR like this.
  10. wildbill59

wildbill59 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nice. Congratulations.

wildbill59 likes this.
  12. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

The previous owner may have had a little tube rattle, and tried to damp it with tape.
    I'd check out the electrolytic capacitors first thing. If they're original, they're done. Replace them. Cap can too.

Dunno how much you know about electric stuff, but electrolytic caps degrade over time, whether they are used or not.

wildbill59 and Silverface like this.
  13. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

But much, much less if used regularly!

wildbill59, ArcticWhite and mojek like this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The cap can in a Champ IS the filter capacitor assembly. If it's original I wouldn't even turn the amp on - filter caps have a service life of 15-20 years, and an original is on borrowed time. I replace quite a few Champ power transformers because the owner didn't think the filter caps were important and the amp sounded good.

But an amp can sound great, yet a cap will blow with ZERO warning.

IUf you don't know how to check date codes the first thing you should do is take it to a qualified tech to have the filter caps replaced (often by just bypassing the can altogether and mounting a small capacitor board on the chassis - much less expensive than new can-type caps, and moore reliable) and have him give it a general checkup.

And no, there is no "death cap" with a grounded power cord. BUT about 2p5% of the 3-prong upgrade cords I see are installed wrong! The hot side MUST run through the fuse and switch, and the neutral directly to the power transformer. If it's reversed your chassis can become "hot" - which is a nasty, even deadly, surprise.

ALL used tube amps over 15 years old need to go to a tech immediately - and I'm serious about not turning them on - unless you are qualified to work on it OR have documentation from the seller that all service has ben performed and the power cord polarity is correct.

Most of my amp work is not regular service - it's repairs on newly purchased vintage amps the buyer didn't have checked out.

Service is relatively cheap - repairs are not!

wildbill59 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.