New cellphone???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BiggerJohn, Jul 8, 2013.

1. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Curious what you mean by lost data or problems with recovery (on android)? Ive used android for years now and never had these problems. In fact I was a bit upset that google automatically placed ALL of my contact info on my new phone, when it automatically synced to my google account, it even auto synced a lot of my old photos (and no, I hadnt inserted my old memory card or anything like that).

So much of the google stuff is 'in the cloud' now that the only thing you really have to setup on a new phone is your apps (& I had no problem redownloading the ones I'd already paid for).

I guess with android the main issue might be the large availability of phone models. ie If you buy a brand new smartphone for $50 from the cell equivalent of Kia you will probably have more issues, regardless of the os.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDCLUsZpbY

2. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

imwjl, you make some good points. So let me just expand on my previous post.

I believe that iOS has become to much of a walled garden. If someone is content following their strict path, that is fine. It no longer works for me. As a musician/creative type, I need a bit more room to roam. iOS has ONE way, and that is Apple's way. With Android I have choices.

Watching the latest WWDC, Tim Cook pointedly talked about Apple's massive innovations with the upcoming iOS 7 release. When in fact all of those so called innovations have been present in Android or Windows mobile operating system for some time. Maybe they think that if they repeat it enough times will become true. One of my biggest turnoffs from Apple has been them telling everyone ad nauseum just how great they are.

I am not strictly speaking about user interface tweaking or design, but the entire ecosystem. For me, Android is the right choice.

Fragmentation is the most notable issue for Android that is often brought up. And I could definitely see in that someone's position such as yours it could be a problem. However this is mainly a problem with the carriers, not the platform itself. With all of the carriers, they are either slow to update or refuse to continue supporting a phone at all. This comes down to only one thing. They want to sell more phones. So. the consumer can either live with an outdated operating system or upgrade. There really is not that much of a difference with Apple. Each new iOS release excludes numerous new features from older hardware. But because the are still getting some kind of update it isn't seen to be as much of an issue. When in fact the updates for the older iPhones are generally just UI tweaks and maybe a new mediocre Apple branded app.

I think it really comes down to how much someone needs to be guided. Whether it's with my guitars, cars, motorcycle and yes even my phone, I like to tinker. Android makes this easier for me. Also, I personally have never found the application selection lacking and I would consider myself somewhat of a power user when it comes to my devices. One of the greatest strengths of Android for me is backups. All of my pictures, emails, contacts, documents, downloads, messages, settings, etc., all automatically backed up and synced with my Google account and available to me anywhere is a big plus. If and when Apple truly starts innovating with iOS again I will surely take another look at them. I enjoyed using the iPhone for many years but currently just find them to be stagnant.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm still using a coal powered Nokia that was assembled in Mexico.

You already know what question I'm gonna ask:

What is the newest phone ya'll know about, which is not assembled in China? Thailand, Taiwan, Brasil, I don't care. I'm not even asking where the semiconductors and other parts may have been sourced.

Anyone?

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good luck finding a smart phone assembled in USA. BTW, would you really want one assembled here?

GE recently began assembling dishwashers here and I've seen all kinds of QC problems with those that I've installed for customers. I'd far rather have one assembled in Mexico, China, or Canada.

BTW I try to buy USA when I can, but IMHO electronics manufacturing just will never return here on an affordable level.

Edit: a quick Google search found that there may be hope for Boris owning a smart phone some day ;)

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...-texas-plant-make-first-usa-smartphone-moto-x

5. radio

radio Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Verizon does have the new HTC, and it is a sweet phone. Last week I bought the Razr MAXX HD because I wanted the long battery life and the larger memory, and all,I can say is "Wow!" I've had it with iPhones (for now), and I was sick of the shabby Samsungs, although the new Galaxy seems OK.

Touch screen is very smooth on the MAXX HD, and guess what? It functions really well as a phone, even in my low signal area that every phone before for 20 years would drop calls on and have poor signal. Setup is simple and controllable, unlike the Apple products I have had.

I've no idea about the Winders phones, but I'm happy so far with MAXX.

6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you just want a good, easy to use phone get an iPhone.

If you want more choice of specs, in depth customisation of the UI or want to tweak the OS, get an Android phone. The HTC One seems like a good choice.

If you hate yourself, get a Blackberry. :p

7. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I read the HTC One would not be available on Verizon until September.

Right now I'm using an old Blackberry Bold on AT&T. It works fine as a phone but by today's smart phone standard it sucks. I own Apple stock so I am having to give them serious consideration, for self-serving reasons.

The HTC One may be a great phone, but what about HTC as a company? I heard they were sort of weak.

8. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy 3 on ATT for $49. It is terrific. I was using an older HTC that was my son's before he upgraded to a Galaxy 3 a while back. It was doing some random weird ****, so I went with the Samsung. My wife and daughter have iPhone 4S's. They're OK, but I like a phone that I can swap batteries and add an SD data card.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

By lost data, I have users who lose or destroy a phone and don't have a good or fast restore of all they had and often their settings.

Of course they also get to tweak more of the look and feel.

10. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Because of a deal that I got with Time-Warner Cable (partnering with Verizon on the cell phones), I decided on an Iphone 4 with Verizon last February. According to some of my friends, I don't think I get a good deal. But both the Iphone and Verizon's coverage have never let me down whenever I wanted to use the phone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.