New cellphone???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BiggerJohn, Jul 8, 2013.

1. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

What say the masses?

AT&T or Verizon?

iPhone or Android?

If Android, which one?

Thanks!

2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

My wife is following this thread, and looking for suggestions! Some say to avoid another contract if you're not under one. Our AT&T is month to month, currently...

3. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up an HTC One after being an iPhone user(including the iPhone 5) since 2007. In my opinion Android has surpassed ios completely and the HTC one is by far the best phone I have ever had and most likely the best phone available now.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

HTC One, on Verizon.

5. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

I find Verizon to have the best coverage, at least in this area. Not up to date on phone's, but I'm off the iPhone at the nearest opportunity, can't read the tiny screen w/o glasses, and it's a pretty fragile device IMO. I was thinking Samsung S4, but I'll have to check out that HTC

6. shovelrider

From one shovel rider to another I would not steer you wrong. The HTC One is where it's at.

7. Seminole90

Seminole90 Tele-Afflicted

I am looking around for a new phone also. We have been very happy with Verizon's coverage and had really good experiences with the droid phones. The HTC One looks like a great phone, unfortunately, Verizon does not carry it as an option. However, the Samsung S4 is a really incredible phone if you don't mind the approx. $199 fee for the phone on a two year contract. My son has the S4 and really loves it. Although, not quite as nice looking as the HTC One perhaps, the Samsung really excells in the things you can do with it and the processing speeds. If you are interested in the Samsung you may want to check with your big warehouse members only shopping stores as I think I saw the Samsung there for about $169. Best of luck.

8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If I decide to get a new one,it will be the new version of the phone that I have. The Casio G Z' One, it's built like a tank and supposedly the new version has come a long way to being more like the flimsier fancy phones as far as speed and features.

9. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I have the Samsung Note 2 (at&t) similar to the s4 but with a bigger screen, absolutely in love with this phone. You should be able to demo some working models at best buy and get a feel for whats available.

http://www.SunbeltRyders.com

10. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

HTC One means AT&T.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

For me it came down to the HTC One or Galaxy 4.

HTC One has one main issue... the battery is not user replaceable, there is no battery door like my G2 had so if the battery need replacing in a year or two you are gonna pay for a tech to replace it and pay full boat for the battery and labor.. The battery went out on my last HTC G2 at 18 months or so. Less battery life (2300ma), non replaceable battery and only a 4mp camera.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/05/26/htc-one-v-samsung-galaxy-s4/#9d2449_4

I chose the Samsung G4 for the replaceable larger 2600 ma battery and a much better 13 mp camera.

That said... I am not real happy with the Signal strength or lack of signal strength on T-Mobile with a brand new Samsung G4... I currently regret staying with T-Mobile.

12. shovelrider

Or T-Mobile or Sprint and coming soon to Verizon.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Been with Verizon since they were Pac-Tel, Airtouch, then Verizon, They have best coverage IMHO. Been in places where other carriers were a dead zone, but my phone had several bars.

I finally decided to ditch my 4 year old Samsung flip phone and re-upped a few days ago (2 year contract). I picked the Motorola Doid Razr M, free with contract, but we have to pay sales tax on the $550 MSRP in CA. I'm VERY happy with it. Just got the basic $30 data package and IMO it will be more than enough for my needs. Very nice cam too. 8 MP, has panorama, multi-shot, video, and I downloaded a device manager that lets me easily move pics and videos to my desktop. Voice commands/search work GREAT. Very sleek and lightweight phone, and the LCD is 4.3, with a very small frame surround.

14. shovelrider

In this case the battery size is negligible. And I personally do not know anyone who has ever had to replace their battery. Not to say it doesn't happen but it is very rare. As for the camera, megapixels does not necessarily equate to better quality. The HTC One uses ultra pixels.

The Samsung G4 and the HTC One are both very nice phones. For me the choice was clear with the all metal design of the HTC One as opposed to the plastic Samsung.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We support around 650 smart phone users, and I use them personally.

Verizon and iPhones keep the most people happy.

I use or support the popular platforms but can't bash them like many do.

Full disclosure: I've bought a lot of Android and Apple stuff personally, and give the edge to Apple when it comes to some apps and peripherals (accessories) for musicians, business and outdoor sports.

My users who travel or get farther from metro areas prefer Verizon by a long shot and especially for the amount of high speed network build out.

Have fun shopping.

16. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Santa got my wife a Samsung smartphone for xmas a couple years ago. I can't recall the model, but I'm sure it's already old technology. Anyways, she likes it, and as far as I know she hasn't been teased too badly by the other soccer moms for not possessing an actual iphone. Me...I've got a cell phone from 2006, so I can't advise on any particular brand/model of smartphone beyond that.

In general though, here is what I have learned from listening to Clark Howard (consumer guru/cheapskate on Atlanta radio). Beware the "free" iphone offered by Verizon and the rest of them. When you calculate the amount you get charged over the life of your contract you may be surprised. That iphone may be free now, but they may be getting the better of you in the end. In fact one in three people now are going "no-contract".

17. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Yes you will get charged more on a contract because its the service your paying for not necessarily the phone.

I dont like HTCs as they arnt as powerful as the Iphone. depending on where you live depends on what you need. If you are big city centred 4G is being rolled out very fast (at least in the UK) I was using it in Birmingham last week and its basically broadband speed.

Look at the onboard memory hold too.

18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It's important to say why you think Android has surpassed other operating systems, and operating systems can be a minimal issue compared to the applications available for them.

You're probably right as far as self-tweaking of interface and the widget aspect. ActiveSync clients aren't as problematic as they once were but for some phones we still have to get our users a third party app for Exchange servers.

The fragmented market makes it a little hard to judge the Android phones. Our users who buy the top phones of the day have less problems but some also buy phones that don't end up with good and regular upgrades and fixes. There are pure Android phones but some put on the brakes when they see a no contract purchase.

Users should also realize that like their personal computers, backing up is not just for truck drivers. It occurs more often that we have Android users with lost data or more problems with a recovery if their phone is stolen, trashed or dead compared to our users who give basic attention to this with the Microsoft and Apple platforms.

I am a Google stock holder so I don't enjoy some of my Android criticisms but I'm also an IT director who needs to have good solutions, and I see how the phone platforms and devices work out across a lot of users.

One way to sort of try before you buy: The phone carriers typically have a return period but with penalty which allows one to try the products. Good craigslist watchers can also go contract free and pick up good phones. I watch craigslist for motivated sellers and meet them at the phone store for the purchase which addresses safety and stolen items. Use phones let me keep a cold spare and avoid the insurance that is not so cheap if you use it.

19. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I have an iPhone 5 I like it but can't really compare to other non-apple phones. That being said I use it basically just for a phone have a couple app's , take pictures , once in a while go on line. Now my kids each have iPhone 5's and live on them use them for everything. My first Smart phone was a i4, I really see no big deal between the 4 and 5. The one thing that is noticeable is battery life the 5 dose not seem to last as long so that might be an issue with ant phone choice.

20. bwires

bwires Tele-Meister

Just upgraded to the iPhone 5. Best Buy had a deal going that you could trade in your iPhone 4/4s and get the 5 at no cost - just add tax and $36 for a new 2 year contract.

I have 3 iPhones in the family and 1 Samsung Galaxy 3 - all with ATT. I much prefer the Apple products - iTunes, tons of Apps, iOS, etc. Just works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.