New Celestion speaker damaged during shipping, Can it be saved? Pics

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Irondog, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

I am replacing the stock Celestion G12B ( bass speaker) in my Marshall JVM. not enough sparkle, seems overly compressed as well.

I settled on the Celestion G12H cream back 75 W. Jimi Hendrix like tones. Apparently.
    I don't have any experience with it except for it sounds pretty good on YouTube.

as I took it out of the box which seem to have no real damage, it became clear the edge of the box was dropped extremely hard.

and the speaker frame and paper cone took some damage.

I envisioned that maybe I could bend it out with a pair of vise grips, but then I noticed the extreme wrinkle in the paper cone.

I don't want to take the amplifier apart and tested but I guess I could.
    I had to use up some of my reputation to get Amazon to replace the speaker they said it was nonrefundable and nonreturnable.

I had to tell them I've never returned an item in 10 years, and that it seems extremely unreasonable to ship me a piece of broken garbage. So they said okay this time we will replace it.
    please dispose of the speaker safely.

so I have a brand-new one coming. But any experience with this kind of damage to a speaker.
    it looks like it is almost fixable, but the damage to the paper looks like the sound will be compromised.
    thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If the voice coil isn't rubbing then I would just beat that basket edge back into shape from the back with a wooden block and hammer with the speaker laying on a flat clean hard surface like in that pic. Drop some wood glue on the cone after fudging it back into shape and it should be fine.

If it's damaged you will hear it when pressing the cone up and down by hand. If it's not scratching and sound comes out of it when hooked up it should be fine.

I would have expected a full refund too if a speaker arrived looking like that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have fixed a Celestion far more bent than that, from the same shipping problem... not double boxed or no space to protect the rim. The seller refunded and said "keep it". So I had nothing to lose. The rim was bent like yours, but also not just the flat part, but enough to actually pucker the frame up near the magnet at the cutout.
    Being a sheet metal worker and engineer I gave it a try. With sheet metal, when you tweak one area, another area has to change. So you can be "chasing your tail" a bit sometimes, until you figure it out.
    To my amazement, it worked fine after I spent some time doing it!

Yours appears to be just the flat flange and you should be able to flatten that. Sheet metal requires overbending to take a set where you want it. I have a wood stove in the shop with a flat steel top. If I was repairing that one I would lay it on the steel, rim overhanging and carefully bend that back with a soft wood piece like a 2 x 2 and a small hammer. Hit it a few times, check it, repeat. You will find the force level needed.
    I dont think your cone blip is a problem at all. Also, you can use that just as it is it appears, the holes are outside the bend. SIt it on a flat table, does it sit flat?

Bill Moore likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'd be of the mind to try it as it is. If it works, it works and I'd take the advice of those posting before me.

But,. before you start tryin to wack it out, give it a listen, to make sure there's no voice coil rub.

schmee likes this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Typically, the shipper is responsible for such damage. You should file a hidden damage claim with the shipper asap.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I don't think the cone damage is significant or audible - I have seen and used worse at the edge like that. As other's have said, if the voice coil is not rubbing, and you don't hear anything else weird (scratchiness, fuzziness, weird thumping) I would expect it to perform as intended for it's lifetime.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Weber should give lessons on how to ship speakers. I've never had this happen with them.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

You're getting a new speaker, so don't introduce more drama into your life. Deep six/donate the clunker and move on.

9. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

I had the same problem with a G12H-55 shipped to me. I placed it on the sidewalk and hit the bend with a hammer a couple of times. It worked and the speaker sounded great.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The way we repair bent wheels is to push 'em straight in a hydraulic press. It's much more controllable and with the proper fixture, safer.

schmee likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They double-box and include a sheet that says HEY! DON’T PUSH ON THE CONE BY HAND TO SEE IF IT MOVES. YOU MAY INTRODUCE MISALIGNMENT.

drf64 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.