New Car Day

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
About a year ago, shortly after returning from a road trip where my wife and I rented a Tesla model S, we placed a small deposit and order on a Volkswagen ID.4 AWD, after we test drove a RWD version of same. During that year, VW corporate sent me about two emails that pretty much said, thanks for the deposit, we have no bloody idea when we will be able to make your car given world events. So we kind of forgot about it, and we ended up buying a small truck, a Ford Maverick, that we are extremely happy with (also an order-and-wait situation). On Monday, dealer calls me up and says, hey your car is here, can you come in and sign papers today? Hmmm. So we did research and math given tax incentives and gas prices, test drove it (loved it), and well, today we bought it! Electric car ownership, hmm. I don't love the overly minimalist control layout (it does look good) and find it not very intuitive, it's like I'm a PC and all of a sudden my car is literally a Mac. But wow we both love the smooth and ample power, quiet running and spacious layout. I have never had nice cars before and never thought I would buy a new car and here I am, the owner of two brand new vehicles, each in their first model year and in high demand (well the VW is technically second year but when we ordered it, it was a 2021). I feel fortunate and also, kind of stunned when I look at my driveway. Three months ago I had a 15 year old minivan and a ten year old VW Golf with zero options.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have an order for a new Ford Bronco I made in March of 2021. I have no idea when I might get it. I still don’t have a build date. Very frustrating. Ford doesn’t have a clue.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have an order for a new Ford Bronco I made in March of 2021. I have no idea when I might get it. I still don’t have a build date. Very frustrating. Ford doesn’t have a clue.
Frienda mine just took delivery of his yesterday. I'm not sure just when he ordered it, but he waited a long time. Hope yours comes soon.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Frienda mine just took delivery of his yesterday. I'm not sure just when he ordered it, but he waited a long time. Hope yours comes soon.
There is a list of parts on the hard to get list including Sasquatch Package, 2.7 V6 engine, hard top, trailer tow, and actually the version I ordered WildTrak. All those things make II harder to get. It is really frustrating.
That is the version I want. I have been told if you remove some of those items you might get it built. Gosh you mean I could get something I don’t want or like?

suthol

Friend of Leo's
My poor old Subaru Forester diesel dropped a big end last week so I traded it immediately on a new Nissan Navara.

Had it now for two days and like it a lot but it is a physically a bit bigger than I would have liked

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
Those look like really nice little pups that get good mpg. Everyone here in WI owns full size V8 4x4's so they can tow something 5 times a year lol...

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice. Our cars are 7 and 8 years old at this point but in top condition so there will be no new cars anytime soon.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Our vehicles are 11, 18 and 22 yo. We looked for a new car last month...really nothing available that suited us, so we'll hold what we have.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
@tfarny very nice, and enjoy it in good health. Please update us and what you think about not being in Tesla's charging network. We're still undecided on next vehicles, waiting for more options, and probably put off a purchase again via spending on what we have. I have eyes on the van VW will have here in a year or so while my wife likes turbochargers and stick shifts. Maybe we'll see an electric ute?

Now we just need photos!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Did you have to put down a deposit to reserve it? I had to for my Ranger last year.

I thought about waiting for the Maverick EV but decided against it due to the lower towing capacity (and shortened range) as well as the lack of charging infrastructure in areas where I'd be traveling from time to time, primarily rural Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've checked out the ID.4 and dig it.

I'm considering selling (or trading) my 2017 Fiat 124 and getting a used EV. I'm done buying new cars. The BMW i3 interests me due to its funkiness and unique construction, as well as the interior. If I don't go with that, will likely target a used VW e-Golf.

But I hate the thought of getting rid of my Fiat, it's such a fun little roadster.

Congrats on the new ride, and yes, let's see some pictures!

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
You'll love the electric, assuming VW's reliability is good. Having driven an EV since January gas engine cars now feel sort of weird.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
There is a list of parts on the hard to get list including Sasquatch Package, 2.7 V6 engine, hard top, trailer tow, and actually the version I ordered WildTrak. All those things make II harder to get. It is really frustrating.
That is the version I want. I have been told if you remove some of those items you might get it built. Gosh you mean I could get something I don’t want or like?
We waited six months for the Maverick and we kept the options pretty simple. There is just a lot of %*$( happening in the world right now, and a car is a global product. I think all the brands are in the same boat. The VW took a year to get made, and they were no better at communicating. Wish you luck on yours!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Did you have to put down a deposit to reserve it? I had to for my Ranger last year.

I thought about waiting for the Maverick EV but decided against it due to the lower towing capacity (and shortened range) as well as the lack of charging infrastructure in areas where I'd be traveling from time to time, primarily rural Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee.
Yes, $500 and that ended up being our down payment. NY state throws in another $2000 point of sale rebate so that also went as money down.

I have no idea when there will be a Maverick EV, maybe in ten years when I buy another car I will look. I love the Maverick!
For us as a two car family, one EV and one gas makes sense. Going pure EV seems like it would be a pain where we live at least right now.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
You asked for pics!

Attachments

• PXL_20220701_123944750.jpg
    PXL_20220701_123944750.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20220701_123937618.jpg
    PXL_20220701_123937618.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 30

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I figure that I will sell my Cadillac ELR next year, one year before the battery warranty expires. Looking at the current crop of available EVs, I would probably choose between the VW ID.4 and the Ford Mustang Mach E as its replacement. I would prefer an EV sedan, but there isn't much available. I have no interest in a Tesla, mainly because there are just too many of them around here.

Enjoy your VW, and give us your updated impressions after a couple of months of ownership.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
About a year ago, shortly after returning from a road trip where my wife and I rented a Tesla model S, we placed a small deposit and order on a Volkswagen ID.4 AWD, after we test drove a RWD version of same. During that year, VW corporate sent me about two emails that pretty much said, thanks for the deposit, we have no bloody idea when we will be able to make your car given world events. So we kind of forgot about it, and we ended up buying a small truck, a Ford Maverick, that we are extremely happy with (also an order-and-wait situation). On Monday, dealer calls me up and says, hey your car is here, can you come in and sign papers today? Hmmm. So we did research and math given tax incentives and gas prices, test drove it (loved it), and well, today we bought it! Electric car ownership, hmm. I don't love the overly minimalist control layout (it does look good) and find it not very intuitive, it's like I'm a PC and all of a sudden my car is literally a Mac. But wow we both love the smooth and ample power, quiet running and spacious layout. I have never had nice cars before and never thought I would buy a new car and here I am, the owner of two brand new vehicles, each in their first model year and in high demand (well the VW is technically second year but when we ordered it, it was a 2021). I feel fortunate and also, kind of stunned when I look at my driveway. Three months ago I had a 15 year old minivan and a ten year old VW Golf with zero options.