New Car Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jun 23, 2017.

1. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

To the body, the underside, the suspension, every pipe and connecting rod, the doors, the quarter panels, the brakes, and so on and so on...

Last year, I had to replace the windshield washer motor because it was full of rust!

Jersey weather and road salt do no car any favors.

As to advice, I've always believed that anecdote is not argument and one should always consider the best of the available unbiased, empirical sources as much as possible. So, yeah, we're on the same page there! But, people's personal experiences can also be informative, hence the reason I posted this thread.

jimash likes this.
  2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I find it confusing, and often conflicting. I left discussion forums feeling utterly confused about what cars were good, and which were not. That cleared up after about the first two hours of looking at reliable sources, who did testing, etc. Of course I was searching for used cars, not new. But still...

Here's just one of many I came across http://www.consumerreports.org/used-cars/best-used-cars-for-under-30000-dollars/. I'm still doing my homework for car number two. Car number one sits in the garage - a low mileage 2009 Nissan Rouge. We made a decision we feel comfortable with, thanks to the danged old web. We were able to narrow down which car, for what price, how many miles and what dealer before leaving the house. The only thing left to do was test drive once we arrived.

3. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

The Plymouth dealer? It's next door to the Pontiac / Oldsmobile dealer and across the street from the Studebaker dealer.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like earlier versions, up to 2005 I think.

But the automatic in these seems like it belongs in a 1950s Buick or something. It has a button where you can jump in and out of overdrive, but mostly the transmission wastes a huge amount of little power the motor has. I looked into putting a shift kit in it, but the guys in the know tell me I won't be satisfied and just to leave it like the Golf Cart it is. Paddle shifters would just annoy me, on that car.

5. boris bubbanov

Funny, when they have auctions of these sought after 1960s Hi-Po Plymouths in Scottsdale in February every year (Barrett Jackson) the Plymouths there often draw higher bids than the Dodges and Chryslers do. Depends on the model, of course.

J Hog likes this.
  6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

No, I'm exempt here, state wide, but the gov't is slated to step in and override the whole process. Funny thing was when the scandal hit I was going to chip it for an additional 15 hp, & 52 mpg.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Underpowered is a bad thing. It's a gig with a loud drummer, and you just have a Princeton. And no PA. No headroom.

In my experience, the only thing you want underpowered is an AC system, because they work best when running flat out. Everything else benefits from headroom on tap. It's easier on the machine, and you don't have that sickening delay when you floor it crossing an intersection.

Sorry, I haven't bought a car in a while. Wife has a Honda CR-V. OK if you like seats made of concrete. I drive a 2008 VW GLI. Not good for hauling stuff, but REAL good for zipping my old self around town. Fast little sucker. Cheap, too. But I'm starting to miss my pickup...

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sadly limits the choices these days. Probably hard for the computer to operate, too...

"Shift, please"
    "Shift, please"
    revvvvvvvvvv!
    "Shift, please"

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I drove a Mazda3 with paddle shifters at Road Atlanta and they were impossible to find when going hand over hand. Took out a cone on the first turn. Great car though. It fit like a glove the minute I got in it.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Unless in a Ferrari or Porsche....Paddle shifters are just automatics. Nothing to see there. Can control your auto from the wheel. Big whup.

ebb soul likes this.
  11. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Aren't F1 cars paddle shifters? :)

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Aren't F1 cars often Ferraris?
    I have the flippers on my Golf, the novelty wore off in about a week.
    ( it was a fast week)

13. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Its more like a joystick. It's a dual clutch manual with an up\down selector.

Paddle shifters in most vehicles are a normal auto trans with software that lets you select the gear. Think of the old 4 speeds that had 1,2,3 D on the stalk.

14. 1293

They can be useful in snow and twistys.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lots of passion here! A car is clearly a rapidly depreciating item. People fall in love with a car and all logic flies out the window. I understand the dollar and cents arguments and the research, but I like cars, like to drive them and want a new one every couple of years. People need to do what they feel best with. As one of these posts said-if you feel happy with your deal, you got a good one.

16. 1293

The older I get, the less I want to mess with car repairs. I like to always have one under warranty.

william tele and Bob M like this.
  17. boris bubbanov

There's this thing called a DSG and a fair number of European makers offer them on sedans, and also Maserati, etc.

https://www.thoughtco.com/dual-clutch-direct-shift-transmission-533860

I sure would not mind having a few of these - I like them.

I've got paddle shifters on 3 of the 4 automatics we have, and they can come in handy keeping the tach up, because from there the turbo can really spool up way faster. It takes practice and yeah, in many applications it is just a gimmick. But sometimes it isn't - For example I like it for laying off the brakes when towing a trailer (normally I would rather replace brake parts than transmission parts, but in the mountains, I like to hold some brakes in reserve for when I really need them).

thegeezer likes this.
  18. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I was just naming two examples. Sure lots of high performance cars have DSG. Your Toyotas and plymouths of the world don't though. And I agree it's useful for trans braking, but usually in a truck it's a range selector and not a gear selector. IE if your truck is hunting gears 5-6 driving through the mountains you knock it into 5th meaning it uses gears 1-5.

19. bobspez

bobspez Tele-Meister

I've been leasing a Camry every 3 years since the mid 90's. I presently have a 4 cyl. 2017 4 door Camry. It's a quiet, roomy ride with plenty of power for NJ highways. At 80mph, the tach is just at 2800 rpm, and with the air on and windows closed you can't even hear the engine. I can't think of a better car for the money.

Bob M and william tele like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

I did that, in my late 30s and all through my 40s.

Cars then were increasingly complex and yet they were still not all that dependable or reliable and diagnosis was sketchy and parts were too expensive to replace at random.

But I started missing working on them, and with the 'net I began accumulating really accurate information. When Saab was divorced from GM and GM agreed to order the manufacture of a huge treasure trove of parts (oversupplying the market and causing prices to collapse) I found I could own 4 or so Saabs of the same model and keep an inventory of parts around and you could "test replace" some components until you hit the right one when it wasn't 100% clear which part was the culprit this time.

Best of all, these vehicles just don't leak like they used to. I can get under there and do a bunch of work and go to dinner a few hours later without Caveman Hands and Fingers.

Must be about 8 years since any of our flock were under any warranty. However we did just get the only one of the Seven vehicles involved a new airbag under the Takata recall the other day - and just in time! :^)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.