1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Car Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jun 23, 2017.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a write-up ready, then saw you went with a Toyota.

Price - here is the rule of thumb. If you are happy with the price you paid, then you did well. Sure, there will always be someone who did or could do better - and some that will have done worse.

If you are happy - and it sounds like you are - then you did well.

Congrats on the new Toyota! A Corolla should just just shy of forever if you take decent care of it.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I've done quite a bit of research, because we're replacing both our cars. The Honda Fit consistently gets high marks, and was also listed as one of the top ten most bullet proof cars on the road. I did some reading at forums initially, but I suggest you do yourself a huge favor - don't read anecdotal reports here and elsewhere. Go to Consumer Reports, and other similar reliable sources and get hard tested facts. The only thing discussion forums *might* be useful for is collecting a preponderance of anecdotal evidence. But to me, doing that you have to apply the Amazon/Yelp principal - there need to be a a large number of positive reviews, and those need to be the greater majority.

I've driven this 93 Volvo for years, and will it has almost 300,000 miles on it, with no signs of being near the end of its life, the interior, and to a lesser extent the exterior is getting worn out. So I'm loathe to replace it with something that won't hold up for the long haul, and I do not buy new cars off the lot any more, so that means a used car with some miles already. The only thing I've found, after many hours of research, that will easily run for 200,000 miles or more are the Asian imports. Particularly Honda and Toyota.

It's not hard to believe. I had a Honda Accord that ran for over 200,00 miles before I sold it. It was still running when I sold it, because my 21 year old self 'needed' something cooler.

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Here ya go...

IMG_0341.JPG

I couldn't see the screen of my iPod in the bright sunlight, but you get the idea!

william tele and boris bubbanov like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

ES, do the local authorities check your emissions and all that, every year?

I've got all my buggies registered in far Western North Carolina (100 mi North of Atlanta) and these rural counties do not require checking any of these things. from this perspective, "the gov't" is further away from me in WNC than they were in New Orleans in 1971. I could take off even more "stuff" on my cars if I wanted to - I'm just finding they're potent enough as they are. Except for the Miata - nothing would help it!! :^)

5. boris bubbanov

I apologize.

I was trying to disrespect you, but I guess I was just being too oblique. I used to love to rent Mitsubishis, even recommended them in distant years' past, but I think they're simply awful at this point. I'm afraid your sales guy has found himself in an untenable position, where he has to choose among a bunch of sketchy brands and IMO he chose not the best, but the worst one. However you may have luck anyway. Even "the worst" cars in 2017 are so much better than even the finest Lexus or Mercedes from 1992.

Funny, how the first minvans were Plys and Dodges, and then all 3 marques, and then "Chrysler" offered both a "Voyager" and a "Town and Country" and now I think for 2017 the only version that's left is a "Chrysler" called a "Pacifica" when the original Pacifica wasn't a minivan at all but was sold side by side against them.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nice looking car !
    Yes they check us frequently but that new car will get a pass of 5-7 years.
    I bought a 2012 Honda in 2014, and it doesn't get checked till 2019.

7. boris bubbanov

Yeah, these states rules vary and often they make no sense.

My parents get terrorized in California over their 1996 car (it has a design defect where it dumps all the back emissions data if the battery cable is removed from the terminal). I'm trying to get them to swap cars with me and they can have a newer car of mine that will breeze through - of course Dad refuses.

And meanwhile, they have a 1984 with 400,000 miles on it and it is NOT producing a clean exhaust emission at all, but it gets through I understand because of its advanced age. It has got to be producing 20 times more emissions per mile as the 1996 does (and so it stays home except on breezy days and it is housed way out in a lightly populated, area way away from any smog basin.)

8. soulgeezer

When I bought my Mazda in 2001, it was a two-year inspection sticker (and it passed inspection two weeks ago -- No joke!). The new Toyota has a five-year sticker on it. So, I don't have to worry about it until 2022, which of course is after the apocalypse anyway, right?

jimash and william tele like this.
  9. soulgeezer

You live in Texas. My 2001 Mazda had only 150k on it, but it lived through 17 New Jersey winters without benefit of a garage and it was pretty much completely rotted away. Living in the damp, snowy northeast with its salted roads in winter is WAY different than the desert south and much harder on the usable life of a car.

jimash and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an '04 Impala, never garaged in NJ, no rust, 130,000 had 6,000 when bought 12/04. Now have no need for a car that size and looking hard at a Hyundai Elantra. Rented one in Florida last month and like it over the 2 weeks I drove it.

william tele likes this.
  11. soulgeezer

I think I feel better now -- I just looked up the iM on TrueCar.com and, according to them, if you paid less than $18,173 in my area you got a "great" price. I assume that is the price of the car without tax. Without tax, I paid $17,600 (the tax was $1,400 -- Holy crap, Batman!!!). I feel much better now.

Whew!

And, again, if I'm wrong about the tax thing, don't tell me -- I don't want to know!

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Oh, I'm in too late! I had the perfect suggestion, a 4 wheel drive extended cab Chevy Silverado. Guitar gear in the extended cab, the PA in the bed. 325 horsepower. Passes anything but a gas station. Wait, that's what I use.

Ok, I live along the lakeshore in Michigan and in the winter sometimes drive to a gig with 16 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down at 2 inches an hour....

They only cost as much as a small house....it was just a thought. Never mind.

13. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Well, now that you've made yourself clear enough (I thought it was just a joke about my Plymouth gaffe) in disrespecting my personal car buying decision, I'll point out that the "simply awful" vehicle I purchased was a great deal pricewise against others in its class, especially since they were taking thousands off the price at the time as the 2016s were due in soon, and also has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

For my budget, I think I did alright. Maybe if I were an attorney, I'd have sprung for something more expensive. Thank you for your opinion, though I didn't ask for it.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

15. custodian7138

custodian7138 TDPRI Member

You will like the iM... I walked around a couple when they were badged Scion... when my iQ was in for the last couple of services on the 24 month free maintenance.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Yeah, but this one is cursed by being an automatic. The flipside is, it was bought with 4,000 miles on it, 50 cents on the dollar and it gives my girlfriend something to drive as she's terrified of the S-2000 I have.

It find myself with the gas pedal down, down down as the devil is in losing your momentum. IF you can keep the revs up and stay after it, it is fantastic fun. But if you get bogged down, well. I tell you though, it makes a better driver of people than do vehicles with excesses of horsepower and torque. Great chassis and great brakes, and the motor is essentially unbreakable. I just have nightmares about a loaded, out of control semi bearing down on me and not being able to get safely out of the way (so I am careful to leave it home sometimes).

17. boris bubbanov

I'm sorry, man, but there's things we can be real polite about, but people will IMO go about making whatever mistake they're about to make unless you get out the sharp knives. I'm just way more afraid of someone buying something they won't like in the long run, than I am about ruffling feathers.

In case you're wondering, I haven't bought a new car since 2002 and even though we have 7 cars, the newest is a 2006 with 133,000 miles on it. I may blow money on guitars and amps, but when it comes to cars, I'm absolutely on the cheapskate side. I'm no longer even slightly interested in impressing clients, at this point. Actually, I never really was - maybe I should have been.

I drive cars I like, but actually I don't recommend what I have bought, to others. Maybe the make and model is just too obscure, or has limited uses. Maybe it is right for me but nobody else here. With all due respect I can't stop you from buying anything you like but if I can get the next person to go another way, well, that's what this is about.

I just changed the timing belt on this Miata and I was relieved to see, the belt wasn't that bad even though I was 15,000 miles late in changing it. If I did that with an '03 Mitsubishi, the belt could fail, and on that design all the top end internals would clash (valves and pistons) and the car would be a virtual total loss. This is the kind of thing that matters to me.

18. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Ruffle my feathers if you want but the previous post of yours I quoted seemed to say you apologized for being "too oblique" in disrespecting me, thus leading me to believe you wanted to make that point clear. I hope you see how I could have misconstrued this.

You are free to have any opinion you want, as I am free to have mine. I have no problem with differing opinions but take perceived insults to my intelligence personally. After your last post, I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intention and appreciate your apology. Please allow me to apologize as well, for my statement wasn't exactly nice either.

No hard feelings on this end.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh. Too early for paddle shifters, I guess?

20. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

No argument. But I think the idea of getting information from reliable, trusted sources still stands.

It seems the wear you describe is primarily to the body, not the engine. Am I mistaken?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.