1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Car Advice, Please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Soul last year. I wanted something cheap with a great warranty that had room for gear and dogs. It has been fantastic so far. The Mazda 3 hatch was mentioned. Great car. I was looking at that, too, but price won out.

src9000 likes this.
  2. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

If MPGs are of interest when buying a new car, let me suggest Fuelly.com. You can find out what real users are getting. Here's the 2016 Impreza stats. My MPG gauge always shows around 1.5 mpg higher than whats computed by my miles and gallons used.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza/2016

My Legacy didn't hit it's best MPGs until around 50k. The recorded combined mpg average for my car on Fuelly is 27.08 mpg, mine is 29.5 so factor in how you drive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  3. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Another vote for an Impreza.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Fit (and the Mini) do especially badly in terms of collision repair. Unless you have a tiny garage or tiny parking spaces, there's just not enough advantage IMO in buying the iA or Fit over the Corolla or Civic. Civic was enlarged about a year ago, the 2014 sized Civic would be better than the new one, for you.

Don't buy any Kia, Mitsubishi, Hyundai or Nissan. You keep a car 16 years, you'd be making a horrible decision to get one of these disposable wrecks.

Also no Suzukis, no Isuzus but blessedly, those are no longer offered here. Workin' on those other four! :^)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Dave Ramsey. E Orr . in a can. Like every mans grumpy dad. Clark Howard too.
    Avoid their car advise, or you'll wind up on three wheels.
    I liked the Mazada mini van a great deal , but wound up
    with a Golf, hauls a surprising ammount.
    Still, that Mazda, with three row capability in that size, with a floor that folds flat, straight out trumps the Honda.
    A four door small truck with camper shell is very verasitle, as well.

Theorage, CharlieO and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

After my wife hit a deer in January 2016, I looked into a lot of cars and smaller SUVs. We settled on the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. CVT transmission may not be your thing, but it can fit a lot of gear with the back seats folded and it's pretty good on gas (with the AC running around town we are usually between 28 and 30 mpg). Because of its small engine, though, driving 70-80 mph on the interstate drops the mileage a little.

I could also recommend Hyundai as my mom is on her third in a row. Her Elantra (I believe a 2015) is quite comfy and drives we'll, and also has a deceptively large trunk space for a car it's size. I also know 3 people who love their Santa Fes.

Two of my friends both separately purchased Toyota Corollas last year. One rented one for a trip and later purchased one. The other was replacing a Corolla he's had for 15 years and only got a new one because another driver ran a red light and totalled it for him. He has also been known to stuff a bass, bass amp, guitar amp, full PA with stands, two 115 powered speakers, Mic stands, mics, cables, him, and his wife in there. And his wife even got to ride up front in the passenger seat.

I would not recommend a Jeep Compass, Cherokee, Patriot, or Liberty. The salesman who sold us our Mitsubishi was at a combo dealership for Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep, and Mitsubishi. When I asked about the Jeep offerings, he said, "That's the worst thing you could buy. Even if you don't buy a car from me, don't buy one of those."

Another one I'd avoid is the Ford Fiesta. That's the rental I got to drive for a week after the deer incident. Nothing wrong with the way it drove and it got good mileage but I'm 5'5" and felt VERY cramped. I'm not sure the Focus is much bigger. I do have a friend that loves his Escape, though.

Bob M likes this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah but I get 50 mpg with turbo grunt. Right at 200 ft lbs.
    ( at least until the gov't takes it away.)

8. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Buy quality, cared-for used...2-3 years old. Stick to Honda, Toyota, and Lexus (technically also Toyota). These three are the most reliable makes available. I'd also take a look at Subaru.

Following those simple rules has saved me a lot of money over the years. And I always have reliable transportation, not to mention the fact I've never felt like I was missing out on anything by not buying new. Let other people pay the new car overhead.

9. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Mazda 3 give you a lot of bang for the buck. And it hauls a good amount of stuff. Another decent Mazda is the CX-5 -- the small cross-over sport-ute.

10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Don't buy a new car. Unless you like burning one-third of what you paid for it as soon as you pull out of the lot.

The only new car I have bought without too much regret was a Jeep Rubicon. I got a good deal from it at the dealership, and when I eventually traded it in, I got far more for it than I expected. Even today it would still have a much higher resale value than almost any car of the same year.

Your best bet is a low-milage used car which has already burned off the greater amount of depreciation.

But of course, you'll likely visit a dealer of some sort, and you'll end up buying more than what you need, while paying too much for it. All of us have at one time or another.

Theorage and Piggy Stu like this.
  11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We love our 2016 Mazda CX5, but it wasn't inexpensive. We love our 2008 Mazda 6, but a hatchback would be more practical. We loved our 1996 Protege, and it lasted about 16 years. We loved 1988 Mazda 626. It lasted about 13 years. From 1988 until now, we've also owned a Volvo 242 and a Toyota Corolla.

We are Mazda people, and would not hesitate to buy another. They are very well-built, reliable, and affordable to maintain. The latest version Mazda 3 has been winning awards and wowing automotive journalists since it came out.

Theorage likes this.
  12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

First of all, thank you fall for the advice -- There's a lot of good stuff there that was very, very helpful!

On Saturday, I went to the local Toyota dealer, test drove the Corolla iM, and ended up taking it home. I kid you not when I say that the buying experience was not unlike I imagine some rape victims must feel in the aftermath, but I got a good car at what I think was a fair price.

Yes, they played every single silly stereotypical car salesman game in the book (do they really think we don't know what they do?), but I held out for almost five hours and I'm pretty sure I did all right. I got the car for about $300 under dealer invoice. I'm calling that a win. Please, PLEASE don't anybody disagree with me or disabuse me of this notion. I literally still feel the PTSD of the experience and I just want to believe I did all right.

The car is pretty and has so many features and functions that it may be a year before I figure them all out, if I ever do. It's amazing to me that the iM came loaded, whereas a Fit with the same package would have been a few thousand more. For that reason alone, the iM stood out.

So, in short, I'm traumatized (and I'm not kidding about that), but I got a really nice car at what I think is a fair price. All in all, not so bad, right?

jimash and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like you did just fine soulgeezer and congratulations on your new ride.

I get a chuckle when I read all the don't buy new or don't lease unless you can expense it advice, etc. I've leased 6 straight vehicles and here's what I get:
    a brand new car every three years, depreciation is never my concern, I pay about 2/3rds monthly of what it costs most straight buys, I don't drive around in an already outdated model and I never, ever, ever have to pay for auto repairs(the leading cause of heart disease in the world).

If your goal is to pay off a vehicle and drive around in a 5+ year old car without payments, don't lease. If your annual mileage is very unpredictable, don't lease. If you're a slob, don't lease. For all others, it's a smart deal.

14. boris bubbanov

I went looking the other day to buy a new Plymouth, and I couldn't find a place.

I need to go see your salesman.

:^)

Not!!!

CharlieO likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

I think you made a superb choice.

At least so far, you won't see yourself coming and going (other motorists) with this choice. The #1 beef about Toyota has been, they're too staid, and this iM obviously is not that. No idea really if someone else could get a better deal (too many variables, many pertaining to locality).

It isn't clear to me why Toyota killed off the Scion brand, but in merging it back into the parent brand, it should reinject more youthful coolness to the Toyota marque. Scion's tended to have more premium aspects than the adjacent Toyota models did, but then Toyota had to re-weave this product back into the existing price structure and ended up with a value packed product that needed to be priced below other existing models and you are the beneficiary - so in this respect any discount at all is sort of superfluous.

Hope it becomes your favorite!

16. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

My Toyota Highlander is 16 years old. Replaced the timing belt, other ordinary stuff. Roomy, quick, very comfortable. Looks abot 2/3 years old. Best car this 70 year old has ever had! By a long shot!

17. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you got a good deal. I used to sell Toyota's and 300 under invoice on a corolla is a no profit no commission situation for the salesperson. Enjoy the ride!

18. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Y'know, I think Plymouth was discontinued but Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth is forever linked in my mind. Just get a Dodge Caravan if you do want a Plymouth. It's be the same thing. :)

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, good job geezer! I can't imagine you'd do any better with any of the other recommendations. I've always liked Toyota Corollas when I've rented them.

I google up one but I want pics of YOUR car! Congrats!:)

20. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You made a great choice with the Toyota. I have an Avalon and a Rav 4. They replaced a Maxima and a Rogue. I think they are much better built cars. It's a shame that US cars aren't in the same league. US cars are better than they were, but not there yet.

I would also add that I haven't owned a car in 10 years. I lease them. I get sick of them in 3 years anyway and always have a car in warranty. Never get attached to a car. What advice to guys that are so attached to guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.