New Cabinet & Speaker DIY sub-forum poll

Would you like a new DIY forum dedicated to the discussion of cabinets, speakers, and cab building?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Speaker questions are found in several sections, in many subsections. They can be very variable;
what's the best speaker for a BJ
what speakers this .. Identification
who does their own recones
where do I get a recone in the Antarctic region
which ohmage do I need for..
alnico or ceramic
12 or 10
I can see advantages in having many of them together, but there are also good reasons, for example, that in the "Vox AC15 owners club", people should post speaker specific threads there, and that they should not be moved from there.

I think there is a legitimacy for an extra, combined, cab and speaker section, and would enjoy perusing there, but moving threads from other sections should only be done after consultation with, and consent from the O.P.

mountainhick

Tele-Meister
I vote no. To me, the amp forums are already too subdivided and numerous.

Cabinet building comes down to basic woodworking. All the info you could ever want about how to build a box, from crude wood butchery to fine dovetailing is available a hundred times over on other websites. Covering boxes in tolex and screwing on hardware etc is a little more unique to amp building, but IMO we don't need an entire subforum. And I agree, it would make things that much more confusing for contributors.

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
I'm rather surprised at the resistance. Still, I know a lot about speakers, drivers and box design, so if we did have a forum for just that, I could probably answer questions.

Could it be a sub-forum?

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
I voted to have a separate section; however, the arguments against it are convincing enough to me that I was ready to change my vote - and found that is not an option. There aren't that MANY cab threads - but there is no reason not to have more. @JohnnyCrash had that great Bee Box thread going - would that have to be moved? It really all dovetailed into one story - cab, panel, amp.

Mexitele Blues

Tele-Afflicted
I live & breathe cabinets all day and you want to dangle a whole forum in front of me when I finally sit down at night? When am I supposed to relax?!?

I voted no, not to be a party pooper, but because some of these subforums already receive very little traffic. But maybe, if you build it, they will come.

1660104304263.png

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I think having a sub-forum dedicated to building and finishing or covering cabinets makes sense, so I'm going to vote in favor - with a qualification

I think "Speakers" is a broad enough topic that it could have its own sub-forum

Having things somewhat split-up works very well for us guitar builders on the forum, where we have the "Tele Home Depot" section for building, and the "Finely Finished" for finishing

The skill-sets and knowledge required to build guitars and those required to finish guitars are different enough to make separate forums useful

The same goes for the differences in skill-sets and knowledge between building amplifiers and building cabinets

Having two separate sub-forums just makes it easier to find what you might be looking for, and forum members naturally gravitate to the sub-forum that holds their interest

wangdaning

Tele-Holic
This might have gotten out of control. My problem when I suggested is this:
1) shock brother's diy is not for wood working
2) Amp central seems for people wanting complete amps and suggestions
3) Amp tech is for people who have amps they want to fix

Can I and should I post about issues with a cabinet build in the sub forum 1, 2, or 3? I know I could and, probably get good advice. No one is saying things should be removed from the forum.

Let us all remember we are friends here trying to help each other.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
What a great human psych research project. We are *all* into grouping and classifying. But there are splitters and there are lumpers. And many of us can swing either way depending on our degree of interest.

The weird bit is the urge to split and *ban.* You can no longer call that bird a Baltimore oriole! No speakers here! Get that cab build out of your great Lightning-Champ mashup!

My dad, a WWII vet, grew tired of all the new wars that kept happening as he got old. “Why can't they all just get along?”

Or in musical terms, “What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?”

echuta13

TDPRI Member
I think having a sub-forum dedicated to building and finishing or covering cabinets makes sense, so I'm going to vote in favor - with a qualification

I think "Speakers" is a broad enough topic that it could have its own sub-forum

Having things somewhat split-up works very well for us guitar builders on the forum, where we have the "Tele Home Depot" section for building, and the "Finely Finished" for finishing

The skill-sets and knowledge required to build guitars and those required to finish guitars are different enough to make separate forums useful

The same goes for the differences in skill-sets and knowledge between building amplifiers and building cabinets

Having two separate sub-forums just makes it easier to find what you might be looking for, and forum members naturally gravitate to the sub-forum that holds their interest

I agree. I'm just not sure if there is an interest in creating even more sub forums. Other forums that I belong to generally combine cabs and speakers together as well, which is why I initially suggested lumping speakers and cabs together.

Bendyha mentioned earlier that speakers being lumped in with this new forum could be a concern in that it may be relevant discussion for other areas in the forums, which in my mind makes sense. With this in mind, once the poll closes (on 8/22), I will submit the info for the cab sub forum only and not suggest including speakers as part of it. I also agree in regards content being moved. I would like to think that stuff wouldn't just be yanked without consent from the O.P. Hopefully that is not a concern.

TequilaCaster

Tele-Holic
Pickups and Speakers are the the most important elements of electric guitar and bass, IMO.
They are the voice of the instrument! First and last in the signal chain.

Sure... the wooden bits (guitar neck & body, and enclosure) are important too, but not as much.
The neck and body wood enhances the pickup. The cabinet enhances the speaker. But the pickups and speaker are primary.

I see as many "which speaker?" threads as I do "which pickup?"
Pickups have a sub-forum.
'Speakers & Cabinets' deserve their own sub-forum.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
^^^ this..
I'm a big YES to this idea. I think it would inspire chassis builders to take the next step and, for me, TDPRI is all about inspiration:)

echuta13

TDPRI Member
Coming up on the last chance to vote! I will be submitting info on Tuesday to the admins. Thanks to all who have already voted and especially those who expressed their opinion yay or nay!

echuta13

TDPRI Member
I sent an email to the admins, but haven't heard anything yet. I suggested just making a cab forum for now, so who know if/when it will be placed...

echuta13

TDPRI Member
So I did get a reply back. It does not sound like the admins would like to create another sub-forum at this time, but suggested that the Shock Brothers forum could be amended to cover ALL aspects of DIY amplifier building (from snout to tail so to speak) as a compromise.
So we would in essence go from "Shock Brother's DIY Amps" to "Shock Brother's DIY Amps, Cabinets, & Speakers"

I did suggest that maybe a sticky could be created to help serve as a Links & FAQ for cabinet building, tolexing, grill work, etc.. as part of the change (it could do more than just that though).

Please post any more ideas, opinions, suggestions, pro's & cons in regards to this potential new change to the forum. My hope is that it will make an already great forum, even better. 🤠

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
So I did get a reply back. It does not sound like the admins would like to create another sub-forum at this time, but suggested that the Shock Brothers forum could be amended to cover ALL aspects of DIY amplifier building (from snout to tail so to speak) as a compromise.
So we would in essence go from "Shock Brother's DIY Amps" to "Shock Brother's DIY Amps, Cabinets, & Speakers"

I did suggest that maybe a sticky could be created to help serve as a Links & FAQ for cabinet building, tolexing, grill work, etc.. as part of the change (it could do more than just that though).

Please post any more ideas, opinions, suggestions, pro's & cons in regards to this potential new change to the forum. My hope is that it will make an already great forum, even better. 🤠

Good for you !!!

Forums aren't anything without good forum members

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for looking into it just the same.
I also would have liked to see it happen but do understand that all things face limits of some kind.

drew1d

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Probably don't need it. When you say, "DIY Guitar Amp" I think most people would think, I plug my cable in and play. It would include Chassis and Electronics, Enclosure, speaker etc... everything that's needed to amplify the signal. If this was an AMP forum, then I could see that you might want to break up into different categories. There is; Circuit design, Layout, transformers, Tubes, enclosures (combo vs head and cabinet), Drivers (woofers, tweeters etc... this is a science in itself). I digress, a pinned topic at the top specifically for enclosures would be good enough.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
You know, a separate section might be good. Sure you can look through other threads and see what people have done but if you are contemplating a build and you need inspiration, having a bunch of threads to easily go through might just push you to build higher than your original expectations.