New Cabinet & Speaker DIY sub-forum poll

Would you like a new DIY forum dedicated to the discussion of cabinets, speakers, and cab building?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

echuta13

TDPRI Member
I sent a request for a new sub-forum to be created in the DIY Channel for Speakers & Cabinets (and cabinet building).
A poll was suggested from one of the admins to see if there was interest in this so here we go!

Kev-wilson

Tele-Meister
I'll be crying tears of envy when folk start posting pictures of their dado stacks as my saw table won't take one :D and it's a war of attrition routing box joint fingers in oak...

Usual edit, I came by the Shock Bothers as my first post was moved from the amp tech centre to the diy tool shed and then to here, and that was asking what I needed to know to 'rehouse' a lunchbox amp head into a wooden shell, which is funny as I'm currently bending aluminium plate to make a chassis the same size as the lunchbox head as it's now back in its original box so I'm using the head shell for my 2nd amp build 😂🤣

Last edited:

chas.wahl

Tele-Holic
I think that there's already enough subdivision, dilution and confusion of material that fits into the DIY frame: Shock Bros, Amp Tech Center, Glowing Bottle. There's a lot of cabinet lore that's traditionally and most reliably appeared in Shock Bros, and it's the subforum that I read and contribute to the most, by far, because that's where the most intelligent and best informed posters hang out, in my opinion. Please don't make me go elsewhere to find DIY info!

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Afflicted
I think that there's already enough subdivision, dilution and confusion of material that fits into the DIY frame: Shock Bros, Amp Tech Center, Glowing Bottle. There's a lot of cabinet lore that's traditionally and most reliably appeared in Shock Bros, and it's the subforum that I read and contribute to the most, by far, because that's where the most intelligent and best informed posters hang out, in my opinion. Please don't make me go elsewhere to find DIY info!
Actually Amp Tech Central and Glowing Bottle are not in the DIY. Anyway, I’m in the same boat as you. However, there surely some cabinet builder types that may feel more inclined to participate had we a wood shop sub forum. I’d love to see sticky tutorials on Tolex, Tweed, tool set up and whatever. And besides, you’d get used to it.

If I weren’t interested in expanding my amp building to the table saw side of my barn, I’d wanna stick exclusively to ShoBros too.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I'll be interested in the result; I see pros both ways. Non-woodworkers wouldn’t get de-railed by “time to work on the cab” sections in build threads. But… though I have virtually no woodshop, I usually find those fascinating.

Bigger question for me: Is Shock Bros. more an *amp* forum than a DIY forum? Sure, it's DIY, but it has more in common with Glowing Bottles than with most of the DIY topics. Side benefits of lumping with the amp forums:

1. It’d be smart to keep amp build and repair/restore topics in the same general section; these are siblings, not 2nd cousins.

2. It'd help new users building an amp, many of whom start a build thread in Amp Central or Glowing, not having scrolled all the way down to DIY…

3. It’d save us Shock Brothers having to scroll down or swap up to a different heading when we’re thinking about amps…

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
@King Fan does make some valid points. I'm not an amp tech by any means, so I suppose I would look at the notion differently vs. those who build amps. When I built my first speaker cab I remember at the time being conflicted about where to put the thread for my build, cause I wanted to share the knowledge I'd gained in doing so. Had there been a cab build sub forum, that might've helped a novice like me LOL! Anyway, here's my thread and I have no problem with it being moved elsewhere if desired

jsnwhite619

Friend of Leo's
I’m thinking of the day I’m wrapping up some extensive build thread and someone lets me know that the chassis content is fine but its cab is in the wrong forum could we move it please :p
Yeah, I could see that happening... I've often thought about a separate amp/speaker cabinet sub-section, but would fully expect your point to eventually happen. Maybe the distinction could be that the Shock Brothers includes anything that is powered and all that it entails, and the cabinet section would be only for cabinet/wood/coverings projects? So, if the main point of the thread has voltage, it's Shock Brothers; if nothing gets plugged in for the final result, it would go to the new section?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Yeah, I could see that happening... I've often thought about a separate amp/speaker cabinet sub-section, but would fully expect your point to eventually happen. Maybe the distinction could be that the Shock Brothers includes anything that is powered and all that it entails, and the cabinet section would be only for cabinet/wood/coverings projects? So, if the main point of the thread has voltage, it's Shock Brothers; if nothing gets plugged in for the final result, it would go to the new section?
Heh, brother, your gorgeous cabs are also a great argument for keeping cabs in with builds.

Sorry, @echuta, I got me this hammer, and I keep seeing these nails. But I'll pipe down -- while hoping @SacDAve (another cab king) pipes up...

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I am still bitter about finding an acoustic guitar build moved from Home Depot to Acoustic Heaven. One lone build thread in a sea of general interest threads rather than with its building brethren. While it might have caused some interest in the non-builders to see what goes on under the hood it might have sparked more interest of solid body builders to try their hand at the acoustic side.

So if a person builds an amp and a cabinet for it do they create two threads? And how many ways can you skin a cat building a cabinet? Using battens, box or dovetail joints? Seen one you have seen them all. Well, a little exaggerated but I guess having one section may inspire someone to build a cabinet. Not like it would hurt even if it is not used as much as another section. What I think might be more of use is having a sub-forum in this one where technical info as an aid to building, electronics or woodworking. How many times have I looked for cabinet dimensions, or explained Ohm's law, Kirchoff Voltage Law, how to troubleshoot? You are low in voltage here, well it has to be somewhere else. Just a thought.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I've been doing reviews of speakers and extension cabinets on other guitar forum sites for going on 18 years. I've always felt an electric guitars Pickups were the most tonally important part of the signal chain, but, after that, the Tubes used in the amplifier and the Speakers used / Extension Cabinet construction would be tied for second place. Yes. Guitar Tonewoods, Neck to Body join, Wiring Harness components, 1 piece, 2 piece, 3 piece bodys, guitar cables, single cut vs. double cut bodies, pedal types, builds ,and bypass, bridges, bridge blocks, etc. all play a role to one extent or the other in what the finished tonal voicing sounds like coming out of the amp. I've just always believed the three most important components in an electric guitar signal chain were #1 Choice of Pickups and #2 & 3 tied betweeen Speakers and Tubes. Speakers are the mouth piece for everything that came before. The construction of the cab, (wood type, thickness of the panels, open / closed / semi open back), affects the delivery of the speakers voice. We're moving into the future. If tubes go by the wayside, (which will leave me in tears), Pickups, Speakers and Cabinet Builds will be the one / two punch of electric guitar tone. Again. This is just my opinion. Based on 60+ years of guitar playing.

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1660061614249.jpeg

So where should I stick this?

(No funny answers, please).

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
For me, building the cab is intrinsic to building the amp. This forum is already wehre I go to find (and invariably get) tips on tricky parts of tolexing. I probably wouldn't bother creating two threads.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Agree!

I can't stand having to open two different forums that are used interchangeably to read about pedals. Subdividing only makes sense if the threads move so fast in one that they get dropped off of Page 1 before people get a chance to see them.

chas.wahl

Tele-Holic
View attachment 1015075
So where should I stick this?

(No funny answers, please).
That obviously goes in the cabinets subforum, dovetailed cabinets sub-subforum, along with the other two threads during the last ten years. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think it's odd that the pro and con discussion here seems to be about 50-50, while the voting is more like 75-25 currently. In the spirit of current events, maybe all the voters who don't post an opinion should have their ballots "sequestered".

echuta13

TDPRI Member
Sorry, @echuta, I got me this hammer, and I keep seeing these nails. But I'll pipe down -- while hoping @SacDAve (another cab king) pipes up...
No worries! This is to figure out if there is even a need for another forum. My thought is that it would be great to have a focused spot for cab building, & speaker discussion.

*Devils Advocate mode on* How many threads have there been for people trying to do grill-cloth, tolex, or wood-working, let alone speaker recommendations (and that question could span multiple forums within TDPRI as a whole)? It would be much easier to direct them to a forum rather than hop and jump around the many forums where previous threads have been posted (because some are search function challenged). 😈

My $.02 is that a project posted in here that covers the whole project shouldn't be moved or need to be fractured to conform ( I would hope that shouldn't be a fear).