New Cabinet for my 82' Rivera Super Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by leftyjay, Jul 14, 2017.

1. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

I bought one of these amps in 2005 locally on craigslist. It was in unused condition. Only thing with it not being used much in 20 plus years is the caps need replaced. I took it to my amp tech and got it up and running. I had him add an adjustable bias so i can experiment with power tubes. I came to the conclusion that the original speaker was the weak link in the amp. I bought a ragin cajun and that gave more volume and head room. The amp is naturally bright. The drive channel was rather Blah. I sent the amp to Billy Penn to adjust/mod a few things to help the drive channel. It sounds really good for a dinky lil 10 inch amp.

But, if I really pushed the amp, I would get this terrible cabinet rattle on low notes. Went over the whole amp and just couldn't get the buzzing rattle removed. So, I started using it as a head and ran it through a 1x12 and 2x12 cabinet. that got rid of the rattle.

I saw where a few guys have had a 1x12 cabinet made for the SC chassis. Decided that was the way to go. So I contacted Peter at Mather amp cabinets. He built me a cabinet. 1x12 combo cabinet with Fender cosmetics, 16 7/8”W x 17”H x 9”D at bottom and 7”D at top made of solid pine dovetailed shell, Baltic birch ply baffle and back panels, black Fender style tolex, blackface/silver sparkle grill cloth, black Fender style strap handle, your choice of metal glides or rubber feet, bottom chrome corners, chassis mounting holes drilled, RF shielding, and speaker mounting hardware.

Needless to say, there is no more amp rattle. The cabinet is very lightweight. I've experimented with a few speakers. So far, I like the Red Fang Alnico.
    SC new cabinet 1.jpg SC new cabinet 4.jpg

here is what it looked like originally
    DSC05045.JPG DSC05046.JPG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Very nicely done. I have an old beat up Blues Jr. tweed where a previous owner painted it brown. It looks like hell, but it is heavily modded and a very sweet-sounding amp. I think about replacing the cabinet every year....you just prodded me again.

3. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks good. Might have put the logo a bit closer to the edge though, but thats just me being picky.

4. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

i put the logo exactly where the logo was on the original cabinet. look at the 2 photos. all my fender amps have the logo the same distance from the edge.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. I like that.

Did you keep the old cabinet? I'd keep the old cabinet so I could put it back together if I ever went to sell it.

I had one for about 30 years I'd bought new; played it many thousands of hours. Never had any cabinet rattle.

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

That's nice.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Oh my that is super nice! Once that red fang breaks in will be magical!!

Nicely done

8. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

oh yes, i put the original cabinet away with the original speaker. i made a nice cover for it as soon as i bought the amp. just in case i want/need to sell it down the road.

9. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Congrats, it looks great!

10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Red Fang is a great speaker!

11. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ah.. I see now, it is not the original Logo, thats why it looks different, its longer.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.