New Cab for my Quilter SB US

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jbnaxx, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I just finished a small cab build for my Quilter. I wanted to test my theory that a small speaker will work better for quiet play. The cab is 12h x 16w x 10d and is birch plywood. I used an 8 inch Celestion TF0818. The TF0818 is the speaker Quilter uses in his Mach 2 combos and is rated at 100 watts.

I was not too pleased at first, but as the speaker plays in, it is getting very nice. It sounds really good for low volume play and really complements the SB US very well.

It's still unfinished....I'm thinking about staining it blue.

32E34337-7865-480E-B74C-0718858DD2BD_1_105_c.jpg BD5DE9FF-FC22-4EFB-81CA-AAE9DFAEC69F_1_105_c.jpg EE364B75-2EA1-4E31-A860-89706C238896_1_105_c.jpg

Mowgli, Crobbins, Dukex and 9 others like this.
  2. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Very cool, congrats.

I put that same Celestion in my Champion 20; it turned it into a little monster!

3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

Nice looking cabinet!

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

My buddy had the Quilter Frontliner? 2-8 speaker cab with those speakers , they put out an amazing amount of sound, with his Pro Block 200 watt head it sounded like a Twin, loud and clean!

5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, really nice

6. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Beautiful work! I think that’s the speaker in my Quilter Aviator 8, bought in 2013 and never considered changing it.

7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I was surprised at how much difference the size of the back opening made. I tried it open back and it sounds much better with the back on it. I thinking about covering the hole in the back to see how it sounds. The baffle has some port holes in the front, so it could go closed back.
    The speaker was really stiff when it was new but it’s sounding much better with some time on it.

PhredE likes this.
  8. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

There is a 6 inch version of that TF series Celestion…… That makes me wonder if I can go to an even smaller cab…….

I am retired and have an awesome woodworking shop. It only takes a few hours to crank out a new cab.

kookaburra likes this.
  9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

A smaller speaker will have less bass, but I don’t believe there’s any correlation between size and efficiency. An 8” speaker can be just as loud as a 12” speaker. Maybe you already knew that. I’m not trying to be condescending.

A smaller speaker will have wider dispersion, which is a bonus.

Nice looking cabinet, well done.

kookaburra and PhredE like this.
  10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I agree that there is no real difference in loudness, but my thought is that a smaller speaker won’t penetrate the walls as much as a larger speaker….. and might be better for low volume playing. As far as bass, there is plenty. I actually had to tune some out. It was 12 inches deep at first and it was a little boomy. I took it back to the shop and cut it down to 10 inches deep and it is much better.

kookaburra and PhredE like this.
  11. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

I like it too.
    Glad the speaker is working out for you.

Was curious, how'd you come about to choose that one?

FYI -- I also use a 8" PA type woofer in one of my speaker boxes and absolutely love it. It is also a lower efficiency unit (92db IIRC). I looked up the specs on your 8" Celestion and it is 94db. Turn it up, break it in! :)

12. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

The TF 0818 is the speaker Quilter uses in their Mach 2 combos. I have always heard good things about the Mach 2 8 inch.

Yes, it gets better every time I play it… and it can get really loud. One poster suggested playing a loop with a loop pedal and just leave it playing…..excellent idea.

My focus at this point is to optimize the size and shape of the cab.

PhredE likes this.
  13. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've personally determined that I just don't care for some combos due to the mostly open-back nature of their cabinets, along with their specific LXWXHs. I just don't like DRs for this reason. I also have a Marshall 4210 cabinet that I've never been able to get to sound right, despite turning it into a cab only, and in the process creating new baffles, and controlling just how much of the back is closed, including making it entirely closed!

For the most part, I just don't like closed back cabs, especially if there's just a single driver. My favorite ones tend to have a slot in the back similar to what you've made for yours. The biggest revelation was that I not only like the semi-open back cabs for clean stuff, but also for dirty and overdriven tones, too.

Great work, BTW! I'm very much not retired, and have almost zero woodworking tools. I'd love to be able to knock out a new cab in just an hour or so, so I envy you!

Jbnaxx likes this.
  14. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

Strangely, the solid back with a slot cut in it is very different from the sound I get from the two slat setup found on most combos.

It gets tricky as the cab gets smaller. Deeper seems to be boomy.

At this point, I am going to get some break-in time on the speaker before I make any more changes.

15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

You could copy the dimensions of the Quilter cabinets, being that they used to be QSC they know a thing or two about speaker cabinet design.
    If you want lower volume I think a less efficient speaker might be the way to go. I was wondering about the depth of that cabinet too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.