1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New cab for 5f1 clone

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by skerwo, Apr 27, 2018.

1. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I got a Fame (Joyo) Sweet Baby 5f1 clone, I think it´s well known on this forum. A real good sounding small beast I think although the cab is real crap wood and the built-in Celestion is not the best solution for a small tweed amp.

So I decided to spend him a new cab. I choosed a 1x10 cab from Tubetown, made of pinewood. It´s normally an extension cab, but with a little cut you´ll get a combo housing. As speaker I´m going with a WGS Veteran 10, the grill cloth is Fender oxblood. As it should be a cheap solution for home practice I´ll laquer the cab instead of tolex or tweed. Some pics of the parts and a comparison of the original and new cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alamo and Tonetele like this.
  2. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 TDPRI Member

Looks nice, especially compared to what it was in. I'm getting ready to start a 5f1 build, it will be a head , not a combo, just glued up the cab this morn. Should b a nice setup when you get done.

skerwo likes this.
  3. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Very nice over-sized cab...what is it 15-16" depth? It will sound much bigger and open.

skerwo likes this.
  4. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

No, it´s 10" depth.

5. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

it´s done and I´m very satisfied with the solution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impressions are that it sounds much bigger as expected but I have to try it at higher volume levels.

Only thing that´s missing is a handle. I already ordered a typical old style Fenderlike handle.

Alamo and Jake Nelson like this.
  6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Some sounds of the amp with my custommade Staufer T-Caster.

It got a handle meanwhile.

[​IMG]

onewhiteduck likes this.
  7. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Timely thread. I have the same amp and have been thinking of doing the same. I like the amp, but it definitely gets flubby/farty past half way.
    Could you give some insight to how the sound differs from the 8" to 10" speaker.
    Cabinet looks great by the way.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I like tweed. a lot.
    but the natural cab you have looks very nice. congrats.

I have the same amp and rehoused into a 5e3 Deluxe cab I built myself.
    12"Jensen ceramic - it sounds big, full, just great and can hold up with much bigger amps.

9. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

It sounds definitely bigger, more airy but not much louder. The WGS Veteran 10 is an inefficient speaker. My sweetspot with the amp is half way up, between 6 and 7. Thick compressed hairy clean tone with SC, light crunch with moderate HB.
    I think I had to mic it for using it live with the band.

10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Cool. I am trying to decide between rehousing the joyo with a 10" speaker or getting a 12" speaker for a homemade cab i have and using it for the joyo as well as the bassbreaker 007 combo. Just need to make a decision.

11. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I think the 10 speaker is the best solution to retain the specific sound of a 5f1 amp with a little bit more of superiority. Especially for home use a 12 speaker could be too much while a less efficient speaker like the WGS Veteran 10 is perfect for full sounding bedroom level.

12. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Agree with this. Just finished one up and tried an 8" and two different 10". Ended up sticking with the Weber sig 10s, great speaker for these amps in my opinion, was actually better than the more pricey 10a125 I tried, go figure.

13. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Sweet Baby with its big brother Big Baby ;). Big Baby is a Tweed Super Amp clone (5f4).

[​IMG]

I took it to rehearsal yesterday. Without micing there´s no chance to hold up with the band especially when you want to get some cleanlike sounds (also with an overdrive on and rolling down the volume on guitar). But it sounds so sweet and nice at lower volumes, perfect for home practice while the Big Baby sounds perfect also for lower band levels because it got a PPIMV which works very well.

14. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Great build! I did something similar with Laney Cub 10, rehousing it into TT Lemberg cabinet with 12" Celestion Creamback and I've just recently aquired FAME JTA-05 "Sweet Baby", thinking to rehouse it just like you did :) LoL we have the same idea. Thanks a lot for your pics and comments here, it is definitely making me to order another Lemberg cab for 10" project. I was hesitating whether to keep Sweet Baby in 8", move it to the 12" instead of Laney, but probably 10" is just right for the 5F1 circuit. Tschüß aus Tschechien :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Thx. The WGS Veteran 10" really works fine with the Sweet Baby although it's mit loud and does not really hold up with a band.

16. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Hi! I have a Sweet Baby, too (Fame) and this is my experience: I am currently working on a diy cab to house a 10" and I am building it in the shape of a smaller Blues Junior (slanted front).
    I quite liked the sound and the general character as it was so I thought that, due to the very good building quality, it could deserve some investments on it.
    So I proceeded with this upgrades: (I use it with a blonde tele CV with A3 pickups)
    1- WGS G8C 4ohms = very good improvement upon the Celestion, just a little dark, but great volume due to higher efficiency and a better, bass (no farting tones)
    2- 6v6 Tungsol instead of the Ruby = good improvement in overall clarity
    3- Mullard 12ax7 instead of the Ruby = greatest improvement: more headroom, lot of harmonics and overtones. Really remarkable!

Now I have a little doubt about what 10" to choose for the new cab: a Veteran, a Jupiter or a Jensen (alnico yes or not?) It's a pity that Webers are not available here in Europe, anyway the price too will play a role!
    Any suggestion?

havlma1 likes this.
  17. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Hi Mimmo, just a question, what is the hum level in your Fame Sweet Baby? In my case it was too high, being not convinient, so I eventualy sold the amp. However I still play in my mind with an idea to buy the Sweet Baby again :) Also I think 10" might be the best option, with the 12" it was too bassy. Meanwhile I got Fender Pro Junior IV with 10" Jensen P10R and it sounds perfect, really love it, maybe the Jensen might be an option for you.

BTW what a coincidence - earlier this week I have found a 2008 CV 50s with A3 pickups on eBay, waiting for the delivery now :D

18. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Hi Havima, sorry for my late response... the hum is very low, really acceptable, even with the original Ruby tubes. It is really really low with volume up to 8; going up a subtle hiss adds up and hum does not increase.
    In the meanwhile, I have completed my cabinet and transferred in it the WGS G8C. It sounds really big!!! Just to be peaky, there is a little too much bass.
    Now I am seriously thinking to Jensens alnico but the new doubt is: 8" or 10": I really don't want to miss the Champ style early crunch...

Attached Files:

Alamo and havlma1 like this.
  19. havlma1

havlma1 Tele-Meister

Thanks Mimmo, really nice build you have. I think 10" Jensen AlNiCo might suit the amp well, it is a brigth and articulate speaker.
    I am about to buy this amp again, this time it will be from JOYO, not Fame version, maybe it will be a different batch than I had before :) One of local shops should have them in stock in end of February, I have to be patient :)

Merry Christmas!

Alamo likes this.
  20. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

I think Joyos will come more espensive than Fame; with joyo you'll get an eminence speaker instead of a celestion. Anyway, if I should start again the upgrades, I would keep the original cabinet adding a 8 P8R alnico. In fact I am planning for the future to revert to the original cabinet and use the new one I've built for a 10" Vibrolux 5f11 I have in mind to build... let' see...
    Merry Xmas!

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.