New bullet dilemma

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by bls82261, Feb 25, 2020.

1. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

I bought a bullet tele of MF last week. I know it's a cheapo but I really like it and have already started to bond with it. Everything was fine this morning but this afternoon I have no power in the bridge position. I don't think its the pup, I think it's the switch. I get the "normal" tone change between the middle and neck position.

I bought this guitar for a couple of reasons. I wanted something with some twang but I also wanted something inexpensive I could learn to do setups and minor repairs on.

Musicians Friend says of course they'll exchange it but if I try to repair and am unsuccessful then there will be a restocking fee.

I have zero experience with guitar wiring but am at least semi handy.

So, do y'all think I should tackle this myself and take a chance on blowing up my warranty or just exchange?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

Probably just a bad soldering connection. If you really like the guitar and don't feel up to the task, you could take it to a tech for a quick look; if it's just a bad solder joint, any remotely competent tech should be able to fix it quickly and cheaply.

3. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

On second thought, if one of the reasons you bought this was to learn how to do repairs, then I guess you ought to just try and fix it yourself. There are some youtube videos on how to solder guitar wires if you're not familiar with that. Worst case scenario, you can't fix it, just take it to a tech, should not be an expensive fix.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Do you have a soldering iron and do you know how to use it?

Do you have a multimeter to test the circuit? You don't absolutely need to have one but it helps.

It's pretty easy to swap out a switch although the stock switches they put in Bullets aren't all that great. I'd upgrade the switch while you're in there or at least do it eventually.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Alrighty, then. :)

Unscrew the control plate and flip it over. Find the wire that runs from the switch, through a hole in the wood, toward the bridge. I think it's white.

The wire should be connected to two adjacent lugs on the switch. Is it? And if you wiggle the wire, does the bridge pickup come back on?

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

It's probably pretty obvious, I'd give it a try, and worst case.... LIE and say you didn't.

CavalierX, skitched and Fendereedo like this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Exchange it .

8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

You bought it to learn repairs; likely it's the switch or a bad solder joint, and not the pickup. This is a perfect time to learn how to replace that cheap switch with a better one. It will only cost you a few bucks to get a soldering iron and the new switch, and you're well on your way to being your own repairman. ;)

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Buy yourself a Weller soldering iron, some solder and a soldering station and get over to YouTube, and learn to solder. After a while it will become second nature to you. You will get some burned fingers along the way, but that is all in the learning process.

skitched and Footsore like this.
  10. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I bought a Squier Thinline a few weeks ago which had the same problem out of the box. It was easier for me to replace the switch than send the guitar back so I did.
    In your case though it may be different and you may be better off exchanging it.
    Those switches though are really weak and would be the first thing I would upgrade anyway.
    Perhaps get yourself a new CRL switch a soldering kit and some wire and have a practice at soldering before pulling the control plate off. A few videos instructions should help.

Fendereedo and mkdaws32 like this.
  11. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Put in a four way switch.
    Should be stock anyway.

gregulator450 likes this.
  12. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

You bought a cheap guitar so you could learn how to work on guitars. The cheap guitar stops working correctly. Seems like exactly what you wanted to me. This should be an easy fix, you can do it.

bls82261 likes this.
  13. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Also, you can buy a replacement Squier pickguard, LOADED for like $25.00 bucks... so you can't really go wrong no matter what you do.
    *And a cheap chinese one is like $15.00*

14. Fendereedo

Hi was it a CV 60s thinline you bought? It's really odd, some of the new CV models have them old crappy switches still, and some have the type used on the MIM Fender models. Luckily mine had the latter switch. The only thing I've changed out that I've found was duff was the jack socket, I unsoldered the stock Jack, and then added a Fender one with a screw in jack plate from Allparts. I do that to all my Tele's though.

15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

At the very least, open it up and take a look. Very possibly, there will be a broken wire. Easy peasy. If everything is connected properly, and it still doesn't work, then think about returning it. Just looking inside won't have any effect on warranty.

16. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

I'm gunna keep it and give it a go. I think I've narrowed it down to the yellow wire near the switch. The solder joint itself seems solid but the problem seems to be in that area. Maybe even broken wire at the kink you see.
    [​IMG]

17. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

Mine is a CV70s from Indonesia. Good Alpha mini pots but a really crappy switch. I think if you're going to buy cheap electric guitars you have to know how to do some basic soldering. YouTube is your friend.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

He could certainly go wrong, if he followed advice to buy a loaded Strat pickguard for a Telecaster. ;)

skitched and Switchy like this.
  19. Fendereedo

Totally agree there. I've got the same mini pots, and in all fairness they are pretty nice so far. You're right about cheaper guitars though, when I had my Squier VM Jag, there were a few loose wires which needed re soldering. Like you've said, it's just part of the process of buying cheaper, and something to be expected.

Footsore likes this.
  20. LutherBurger

OK, the wire is yellow, not white. My mistake.

The lug that would cause the problem you described is the third one from the bottom, so focus your attention there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.