New Build...moving "down" the scale...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jim_in_PA, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While as of this writing I can't be building anything in the shop, guitar or otherwise, while I recover from my recent eye surgery, I absolutely can "build virtually". :D Which means I can start this new build thread. This project was originally intended to be a second BroBuild, but life is what it is and macular hole surgery is what it is, too.

That all said, I threatened to do a bass and that's what I'm gonna do here. I actually played bass for a summer band while I was in college. "Somebody had to do it" and since the singer was also a keyboard player, I bought an inexpensive Premier Jazz copy and did the deed. Not well, but that's a different kind of problem I guess. LOL

This instrument will take on the same look as my BroBuild which was based somewhat on the MM Albert Lee guitar design. I'm also (probably) going to play off the "blacked out" look with shiny black hardware and matte black body/headstock color. The upper end will be in a 3x1 format with a profile consistent with "my" headstock design for the last two guitar builds. Fretboard will be Richlite. Hardware is Gotoh with GFS for the electronics. This is P-base style and metrics.

Here's where I'm at currently with the design...I started it months ago and did some refinements this morning. Please ignore the grey on the sides as it's an artifact from CNC toolpath color that I forgot to correct.

JB-Bass-Front-Render.jpg

JB-Bass-Back-Render.jpg

JB-Bass-Headstock-Render.jpg

As a reminder, here's the BroBuild so you can see the reflection in style

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7900.jpg

2. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

Cool, Jim!
    What software do you use for modeling? I just started to learn Fusion360, then Autodesk decided to neuter the hobbyist version. I may or may not continue on that path...

(I'm not opposed to buying good software, but renting it for big bucks is a hard sell.)

~Q

crazydave911 and trancedental like this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

Q, I'm in the Vectric camp...VCarve Pro came with my Camaster machine and I upgraded to Aspire when I had a business reason to do so. Everything in those renders above is just simple 2D vector toolpaths with the exception of the belly cut which was done using the Molding tool path. (a guide rail vector and a shape vector...one rail sweep) I don't do 3D modeling if it can be cut in a faster, more efficient way and for that belly cut, the molding tool path is very efficient.

I was just in a thread at Sawmillcreek regarding the situation with Fusion360 so I do understand the implications of what's happening at the end of the month with that application. Rhino is another option, but honestly, if you want/need modeling features, it's going to be necessary to choose a path and make an investment/subscribe. It's the nature of the software industry at this point. I honestly don't mind subscriptions for stuff I actually use because I'm one of those folks who prefers to keep things current all the time. Where a subscription model hurts is for those things that are only occasional things. I was fortunately with Adobe as I could leverage Professor Dr. SWMBO's educational discount for the whole thing for about the same I had been paying for just the photographer's subscription.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Looks good Jim. Can’t wait to see you get into action on this one. Which reminds me - I need to get moving along with my bass build.

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Long, medium or short scale? I can't wait :)

Dave

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Regular P-bass length, Dave. The metrics are directly from Alex Navarro's P-Bass files that I've modified to my own style for the body and headstock. Not being a guitar pro, I felt starting out with an existing, proven set of files reduced risk a little so I can focus on the "art" of making.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.