new build in progress... I'm cAlling her the "Nomaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by geetarfreek82, Mar 30, 2011.

1. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

I had a thread a month ago about finishing a Rutters Pine Telemaster body I bought off of a fellow forumite. Well, I finally started on her. The neck is a Warmoth Vintage Modern, maple with maple 'board and 22 6105 frets and the Clapton v profile. All I did on that so far was apply a waterslide decal, masked off the frets, and shot some Stew-Mac standing sealer on her. As for the body, I coated it multiple times with Zinsser Bullseye Amber Shellac, and after each coat I sanded her back down with 220-grit sand paper. This darkened the grain lines and made them "pop" nicely. I left the last two coats of Shellac there for a uniform yellowish color, then sprayed 3 good coats of sanding sealer on it. Now I'm just waiting for a nice sunny day to start clear coating them with lacquer. I think the color turned out nicely... Not exactly a traditional Blonde per se, but I really dig the kinda "rustic" look it now has!

Parts wise, here's what's going on this guitar: Gotoh tuners, a set of Fender CS Nocaster pickups I got awhile back, a Fender Highway 1 bridge plate with brass saddles I got from Darren Riley, 250k Fender CTS pots, Fender 5-way switch with Barrel knob, Glendale grip-o-matic knobs, a Rutters electrocup, and a Bakelite pickguard. I'm also gonna do the Nocaster wiring on this as well, as all of my other Teles have a more modern switching setup.

This isn't actually the neck I'm gonna keep on this thing... I'm eventually gonna get a more 50's correct neck with old style Kluson tuners. I got this neck to try out the Clapton back carve, but it has a 1 11/16's nut width and 22 frets, so it will eventually go on my next planned build, a Cabronita type thingy.

Attached Files:

2. geetarfreek82

More pics (had a prob with the Android app)...

Attached Files:

3. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

looking good man, i always thought the telecaster couldn't get any cooler but the more of these "telemasters" i see the more i want one.. congrats!!

4. geetarfreek82

Thanks, I've always loved Jazzmasters as well, and as soon as I first saw an ad for the Fender CS Telemaster I knew I had to build one. Plus I don't have anything with a pine body, so I wanted to knock that off the list of wants as well. I'm also talking to pickguardian about making a pickguard that is more Tele influenced too, still with Bakelite tho.

5. geetarfreek82

Well, I finally finished this thing yesterday after loads of delays... Final specs... Same Rutters Telemaster body, the only change in plans was that after I sprayed the clear nitro on it I dulled it with OOOO steel wool for a semi aged look. It has a raw bakelite pickguard and I ended up using a bridge from a Fender Road Worn Tele. It has a Warmoth Clapton V profile neck finished in tru oil. It currently has standard Gotoh tuners installed, but that is simply because the vintage style Klusons I ordered are on back order from Allparts. The knobs are gold Tele style knobs that are worn heavily... They are off of some guitar my dad owned in the 70's (possibly his old B.C. Rich Mockingbird). He passed away in March after I had purchased the body and neck for this project. He was excited to see it completed, and since he couldn't I thought I'd honor him by putting these knobs on it.

I also changed plans for the pickups. Inspired by Arlo West's youtube videos, I went with a Strat neck pickup. They are both by Electric City Pickups: the neck is an ECS-65 Strat pickup that, instead of a standard black plastic pickup cover, is bare with white string wrap and a steel baseplate from Lindy Fralin (tele style). It reads 6.2k and in this configuration is a loud bluesy SRV-ish kind of tone. I didn't have any guitars with that strat neck pickup sound before, but now I do. The bridge is a custom version of the ECT-68 Tele bridge pickup, but it is wound to the same specs as the pickups he made for a certain famous tele picker who's name rhymes with Schmrad Schmaisley.

Being my first pine guitar, I now see what all the hype is about. This thing is RESONANT. I couldn't believe it when I first strummed a chord. This thing is very loud acoustically. Plugged in the bridge pickup is very punchy, snappy, and twangy. Everything you expect out of a good handwound Tele pickup. The neck pup has that aforementioned Stevie tone, and the middle is just awesome. I love this thing. Anybody who is on the fence about building a pine bodied guitar should just jump in and do it. You won't be disappointed.

I also would like to thank our fellow forumites Alex M for the beautiful body and some of the hardware, Colt W. Knight for finishing advice, and Fezz and Arlo for the inspiration to build a pinecaster in the first place. And, I can't forget, if it wasn't for the tdpri this build would have never happened! :)

Attached Files:

6. junk mutt

junk mutt Tele-Meister

Now look what you done..!! I've got to build one of those now !!!
    Nice build dude. ;-)

7. geetarfreek82

Thanks a lot!

8. gibsoncc21

gibsoncc21 Tele-Meister

That's a great looking guitar! Now I'm jealous!

9. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

nice job and cool color

10. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I would say that turned out OKAY!

Twang away sir!

11. geetarfreek82

Thanks all. I am most proud of the finish, it came out great. It was pretty simple to do.

12. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

That finish is great :) glad I could help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.