New Build ideas, looking for a Dr Z layout

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Gtg28, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Gtg28

Gtg28 TDPRI Member

The glue probably hasent even dried on the cab of my first build but I'm ready to take on another one after the great success on my 5E3.

Does anyone have a lead on where I might get some unique layouts like a Dr Z Carmen Ghia? I'm not worried about a kit, I can make the chassis myself and drill a turret board.

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Do a search for the Phoenix. Its supposed to be a clone of the modern Carmen Ghia. I know that it sounds nearly identical because I tweaked it slightly to make am old Hammond work just like his originals were built.

magic smoke likes this.
  3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was actually able to compare side by side with a real Dr Z CG, too.

4. Gtg28

Gtg28 TDPRI Member

Awesome thanks! I think I found it. Do you recall the PT and OT specs or models #s? The layout is pretty vague.

5. Gtg28

Gtg28 TDPRI Member

Or maybe you have other suggestions. I've been a fan of Z amps for a long time but this is for my buddy and first band mate 15 years ago. I know he likes the Z sound but has a MESA and a JCM900 so he wants something small to play around with in the basement. He heard my 5E3 and loved it but I think it's a little big for what he is after. He has 2 little kids so he wants a good sound at lower volume but also enough to crank a little now and then. I would like something with an 8 or 10" speaker to keep it small and very portable. Any ideas? I can get creative with the cab and chassis but I'm struggling to find a solution for the layout.

Slowisfast likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Smaller?? IMHO, the Carmen Ghia is not really a ‘smaller’ amp compared to the tweed Deluxe....it is in the same class as the 5E3. Have you considered a 5F1 Champ build? IMHO, every guitarist should own at least one single-ended amp like a Champ.

H. Mac likes this.
  7. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

GTg28, the Carmen Ghia's schematic is readily available. The first Carmen Ghias were built on the Hammond AO-35 chassis and basic circuit. I have a super clean one here waiting to become a Carmen Ghia. There are tutorials on youtube about turning the AO-35 into the Carment Ghia.
    Layouts are there for the seeing. I don't know if there are examples of other people's Carmen Ghia builds on the 'net somewhere, but I am going to think that there are some...if only in pics of builds.
    I wasn't trying to deter you with my observation in my first post about the 'smaller' amp thing. Hey, build an attenuator if 'smaller' is needed, right?

9. magic smoke

magic smoke Tele-Meister

Transformers for an 18 watt Marshall will work for the Ghia

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.