1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New Build Grounding Issue Telecaster Bridge Loud Hum

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by The Angry Possum, Sep 10, 2020.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

I just rewired the control plate twice and there is a grounding Issue. If I touch the control plate or the input jack and even the guitar jack chord it stops. The bridge pickup is a cheap Chinese Pickup. Maybe that could be the culprit. The single coil neck pickup is a lot less quieter than the Bridge pickup (which shouldn't be). Any suggestions.? I can take a photo of the control plate wiring.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. The Angry Possum

I didn't ground the bridge pickup other than the normal ground to the pot. I'm thinking if i should of grounded the Bridge pickup mounting plate also.

3. The Angry Possum

20200910_174738.jpg
    20200910_174715.jpg

4. The Angry Possum

The grounds are tight. Even though it's a sloppy job.

5. The Angry Possum

Thinking it's just a garbage Chinese Tele Bridge. Who knows. I may try and run a separate ground from the Tele bridge copper mounting plate. Couldn't hurt to try I suppose.

6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Is the bridge itself grounded to a pot on the control plate? Have you checked for continuity between the bridge and the control plate? It is conceivable the plating on the bridge may be interfering with a good ground. Check continuity everywhere. That is often the best way to troubleshoot a ground problem.

ale.istotle likes this.
  7. Boreas

I have also seen some pots that won't ground properly to the control plate. Make sure the pots are grounded through to the plate by checking continuity.

Wallaby likes this.
  8. The Angry Possum

No only the pickup wire ground is grounded, so basically one ground only, from pickup to pot. A friend of mine said you have to ground the bridge too. I'm sure that's the problem, I'll try it tomorrow, I got a severe headache from this build.. Thanks.

jscud likes this.
  9. The Angry Possum

I did, there is no continuity from the bridge to the control plate. So I'll do the bridge baseplate ground to pot tomorrow. I'm sure that's the problem.

ale.istotle, Nelg and Boreas like this.
  10. Boreas

Yup - there is your problem. Remember to make the lead plenty long so's you can remove the control plate OK.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  11. The Angry Possum

Thanks

12. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

The fact that the hum goes away when you touch the metal parts indicates that there is no problem with the grounding.

This is a shielding issue. Do some research on that.

13. The Angry Possum

I just viewed different wiring schematics. My input jack ground is soldered to the volume pots along with the other grounds( the switch ground, pickup grounds). In some schematics I see the input jack ground is grounded to the tone pot by itself, and not to the volume pot. Could this be the issue perhaps? I'll re-do it later anyways just to see.

On my wiring setup , I have a seperate ground going from the tone pot to the volume pot. That could be incorrect also, judging by the below schematic, there is no seperate ground going from tone to volume pot.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  14. The Angry Possum

I'll try this wiring later , it looks correct.
    20200911_170838.jpg

15. The Angry Possum

Read my other two recent posts Could this be the issue? Post #13 and #14.

16. Boreas

In theory ground is ground, wherever you ground the wire. Most people use the pots as ground because they are easy to solder to and also ground to the control plate. Running a ground between V and T pots is optional, because they should be grounded through the control plate. Also, you can ground the output jack to either the V or T pot - or any other good grounding point. Use your meter to check for continuity of all grounds.

You haven't replied if grounding the bridge plate had any effect. It IS necessary to ground the bridge plate, which typically grounds the bridge and strings as well. Also, I assume you are using a 3-way switch and not a 4-way?

17. Boreas

Guitar wiring troubleshooting needs to be done methodically. Once you have established all your grounds and solder joints are good out to the actual output jack, only then should you start looking at bad parts and shielding. If you have continuity to everything (including the cases of the pots and jack - not just the solder blobs) and still have noise, you need to determine the source. If it seems to change quality frequently, you probably need to shield the cavities and pickups from RF.

Single coil pickups will always have some hum, but it shouldn't be overwhelming. I shield almost all of my single coil rigs with copper tape, but that too requires a GOOD ground. You can shield all you want, but if it goes to a crappy ground you will get nowhere.

18. The Angry Possum

Not yet , I don't want to take the strings off and bridge just yet. I will, if this doesn't fix the hum.

19. Boreas

What I do is put a capo on the first fret, loosen the strings a bit, then unscrew the bridge with the strings still attached and set the bridge out of the way.

ACTUALLY, this ONLY works if you have a top-loader bridge. If it is through the body it will only get you a quarter inch or so. Sorry for the confusion.

20. The Angry Possum

Great idea, I'll try that later today. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.