1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

New build by BOB LOGAN: "Magic T-Style"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jld4133, Dec 5, 2020.

1. jld4133

jld4133 TDPRI Member

I've been meaning to post this for almost 2 months. During last summer, I saw pics of a new Fender model which they called the "Magico Telecaster." They weren't available then, but I really liked the funky design. So in about September, I commissioned Bob Logan to build a similar guitar for me. She's a thin-line T-style, and the back is a one-piece hunk of mahogany which a client who owned a high-end hardwood lumber company gave me in about 1990. The front is ash which Bob supplied. The neck is lightly flamed maple with a rosewood board with a profile similar to a '59 Les Paul. The control plate is '55 P-Bass, and the pick-ups are inexpensive GFS goldfoils. (I used GFS foil "p-90's in a cigar box guitar I built, and liked them.) The tuners are locking "Gotoh Magnum Lock." All pots, switch, and jack are top quality. Bob doesn't use grain-fillers, and the wood grain shows gloriously through. She is light, resonant, sounds really cool and is a blast to play. And she is hand-made, with great components at the price of a Mexi-Fender. Bob Logan brings new meaning to "bang for the buck."

image_123927839 (4).JPG image_123927839 (3).JPG image_123927839 (2).JPG image_123927839 (1).JPG

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's a very cool looking guitar.

I got my first Logan a month or so ago, and you ain't lyin' about 'bang for the buck!' I showed mine to a friend who has a lot of boutique T-bodies (including Danocasters and Nachocasters) and he was pretty impressed when I told him what the guitar cost me.

- D

LGOberean likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

That's gorgeous. I had no idea his builds were so affordable. Wish I'd known that in 2015...I would have used him.

LGOberean likes this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

She's a beauty! A Logan is on my short list for the next one.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I checked out his reverb page the other day and my mind was blown by how affordable he is

From what I’ve heard he uses pre-made necks but so does Nash and they charge A LOT more ( I think Nash actually uses pre-made bodies also?)

LGOberean likes this.
  6. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Really nice! I like it a lot

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

BTW, you should go over and join the Logan Owner's Group if you haven't already.

- D

LGOberean likes this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I really like it, but I'm not really seeing anything particularly "funky" about that design. I guess maybe we have different definitions of "funky." Are you referring to the control plate, chopped bridge plate, the half guard and gold foils as the features that make it funky?

I think it's cool that you supplied the wood for the back. Two of my teles (both the ones in my avatar pic, BTW) feature lumber salvaged from our house fire in 2010. This aspect makes an already custom guitar absolutely unique.

Stranger beat me to it. We would welcome your story and pics in that discussion forum.

StrangerNY likes this.
  9. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Dude, that’s a very nice guitar. Congrats and enjoy.

10. LGOberean

Bob Logan does this for the love of it, not out of need, per se. He had his own construction business for decades. When I visited him two years ago, as we drove through the town of Delafield, he kept pointing out houses and buildings that he had done. My point is he made a good living, and is secure in his retirement. So he loves building and working on guitars, and he actually wants to make available to people guitars customized to their liking, and so he keeps his prices reasonable, to say the least.

Yes, the last I knew, Bob uses licensed Fender necks. But he's so much more than an assembler of partscasters. This, for example, is Bob's handiwork...

ca. 2009 - Unfinished Logan Custom 'Logo' Thinline, alder - 1.jpg Logan Custom 'Logo' Thinline, 2009 Prototype - 2.jpg

...as is this...

10-12-2020 - Logan Custom Firecaster I - 1.jpg

...and this...

06-05-2019 - LLP planks for Firecaster II, close up of top (2).jpg
    06-17-2019 - Routed, front.jpeg
    07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 1.jpg

El Tele Lobo and Fretting out like this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m curious about that cutout/sound hole on your thinline

I can’t figure out what it is and the more I look the more perplexed I am, is it something you or bob designed?

12. LGOberean

The design is supposed to emulate the capital cursive "L" of the Logan name on the headstock. And actually it was something my wife designed.

Back in 2009, Bob started doing thinlines. Because he was offering custom options, he did not only the traditional f-hole cutout, but a lightning bolt. He asked for input, and a number of us back in the day suggested that he do something to approximate that "L."

My wife has good computer skills and an artist eye, so she toyed around with 2-3 design possibilities, then superimposed them onto pictures of Bob's guitars and sent those doctored pics to him. The cutout you see is the design he liked. It's now known as the "Logo" thinline.

And BTW, the one you see is the prototype Bob made. I couldn't believe he was willing to sell his prototype, and I knew I'd kick myself forever if I passed it up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.