New build: Ampmaker double 6 in tweed cab

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by cormorant, Jun 2, 2016.

1. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

So finally I have got started after agonising about what amp to build. I like my cleans but love the tweed looks and picked up a good deal on a cab. So I will be building the Ampmaker Double 6 into this. Can't use the 5e3 chassis after all, pity as the valve sockets line up pretty well with the Ampmaker turret board ( leaving 2 holes unused), as this cab has been designed to accept the Epiphone Valve jnr chassis. So I will have to make my own chassis.
    This will probably be slow progress as buying bits as I can afford them........ tweed2.JPG

2. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Great looking cab!

3. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Thanks, it's a nicely made cab, would have taken me months to make and wouldn't have been as good. I'm happy soldering and fabricating tho'. Cab is yellower than in pic but I would still like to add a bit more varnish and get a vintage tint. Next job open up the hole in the baffle board as I want a 12" speaker. Photo0338s.jpg

4. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

That Amp Maker Double 6 looks like a very versatile amp with the 1W-6W-12W option and full EQ. The documentation on Barry's kits is second to none good luck.

5. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Thank you and yes his documentation is fantastic. I like the power scaling too as I'm hoping to get an amp that will do bedroom practice but maybe cope with a small gig if needed and stay relatively clean. Not sure how realistic that might be with only 12 watts but as you can see from the photos I have opened up the baffle for a 12" speaker and it's a 102 db Cannabis Rex so it will all help with the clean headroom. Love the green cone!

I have recessed some 4mm stainless bolts that I had and will araldite the heads in to stop them turning. Managed to retain the one fixing hole in the bottom corner and the speaker sits fairly low in the cab with a little flat cutout needed at crex1.jpg the bottom Tried it out as an extension cab to the Vox pathfinder 15r and it sounds pretty good.

6. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

More progress - bolts araldited in, baffle re-painted, speaker back in, alloy sheet obtained for chassis (2mm) and component layout printed out full size in preparation for drilling a turret board. The intention is to polish the top panel, think I might get the chassis folded professionally as I don't have a sheet metal brake.

Bit of advice needed - I'm doing a C chassis similar to the 5e3 one but slightly bigger, only a little, would it be better to have the ends welded up with the 2mm plate as well?

standard 5e3 is about 368x105x67
    mine will be 400x108x75 (mm)

The speaker took a bit of finding in the UK as Eminence have changed their labels and the new ones look garish to my mind, found one with the old label which I think looks nicer in a classic build.

Photo0403.jpg baffle painted.jpg

7. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Looking good. Smart to get a broken-in speaker. I just found a Blue on Reverb that spent ten years in an AC30 cabinet. Should be just about broken in.:D

8. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Slow progress indeed! Still waiting for the chassis to be folded and as Ampmaker on holiday for a little while not got a lot done. Did solder up part of the circuit last night, I love soldering! Love those turrets....... Photo0474.jpg Photo0476.jpg
    I used Barry's little threaded turrets with shakeproof washers and nuts on the reverse side so no need for staking. The PTFE board is a joy to work with too, cuts easily and drilled it all out with an old fashioned hand drill :)

9. cormorant

cormorant Tele-Meister

Bit more progress but that will be about it until the chassis arrives. Got some flying leads on and bus wire, must check that one electrolytic cap on the left as it seems huge compared to the other builds I have seen, I probably way over-specced it on the order. Silly way to do it putting the leads on after the components, just made things harder for myself, however all worked out fine in the end :) Photo0481.jpg

10. gmoro

gmoro NEW MEMBER!

have lost my parts list for my ampmaker double 6
    can anyone help

11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.